Ford - Goodbye Forever

but am switching to Honda (for a truck, too).

Tell you what. Bring that new Honda "truck-minivan" Ridgeline out to my family's farm and lets see how it does against our F150 or even our Ranger for that matter. I wonder which one will break first??? I am thinking the first time the Honda has to pull a flatbed with 8 large round bales out of a muddy field will be enough to break it and if that does not work we can take it over to the rough prairie land and chase a couple of cows across the pasture. I am sure when the front wheel falls in a hole it will snap off. :D

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tell you what. Bring that new Honda "truck-minivan" Ridgeline out to my family's farm and lets see how it does against our F150 or even our Ranger for that matter. I wonder which one will break first??? I am thinking the first time the Honda has to pull a flatbed with 8 large round bales out of a muddy field will be enough to break it and if that does not work we can take it over to the rough prairie land and chase a couple of cows across the pasture. I am sure when the front wheel falls in a hole it will snap off. :D

Don't forget to put a pink triangle, a rainbow flag, and a equal sticker on your Honda truck too! :lol:

I agree that Ford has a lot of problems that they are hopefully trying to correct. I also agree that the Japanese brands have their own set of problems. One of Ford's biggest problem as I see it is that the customer seems to have no support other than finding a lawyer to help them fix problems with a newer vehicle. And, that perception problem - aided on by the internet - is very real.

I don't have that problem as I have a great dealer support network in my area. My three Ford trucks, two of which are high mileage, have been good products, totallly dealer maintained and supported. But, for those without a good dealer, it can be a very real problem. Nothing mechanical and made by humans is perfect including the Japense brands. A good dealer can make a huge difference.

Sometimes though I do wonder. These vehicles are all getting so very complicated and it seems to me that many of the foreign brands are having problems too that are very hard to get properly diagnosed. I think I see some of that frustration on the internet when surfing Toyota and Nissan sites. "We love our vehicles, but....."

Maybe what comes around goes around again. Ford seems to be trying harder than Toyota now - maybe they will win back some customers? It's just a shame that Ford had to toss so many of their long-term customers aside before they considered the consequences. I for one think that all new Ford products should at least equal Toyota and Nissan with extended powertrain warranties very soon. That would go a long way towards building some customer confidence again.

I can fully understand being pissed off and all, but don't you think the comments regarding your Mustang are a little extreme? Case in point......

In 2003, my husband and I purchased what turned out to be the biggest piece of shit I've ever owned in my life. It was a cutesy little black SVT Focus ZX3. Starting at 4900 miles, the car had a non-stop clunking noise coming from the rear. After four failed attempts to fix the problem, I took it up with the Dispute Resolution Board. When they did nothing, we dumped the car at 20,000 miles and never looked back.

However, as the owners of three Mustangs (two '95s, one '89), I damn sure wouldn't consider getting rid of ANY of those fine vehicles just because of the Focus ordeal. In fact, while the Focus experience soured us on the Focus nameplate, we wouldn't hesitate to give them yet another try, just in the form of a different vehicle.

I guess everyone is different..but when you have low mileage cars that are semi collectible and have treated you well, the rash decision to dump that car "because it's a Ford" is one you'll likely regret.

Let's see....

He has the car for three years, FAILED to invest in his purchase by getting an ESP which would cover the car up to 100,000 miles... then wants to dump all over Ford over a simple part failure and a little heated air.

GIVE ME A BREAK.

Poor whiny person.

Let's see... remember the Honders that CAUGHT FIRE after a routine oil change?

Or...

The Toyoder Prius death traps that CATCH FIRE while driving down the road.

Oh, but bad design is only in Fords, huh? This guy needs to wake up and get a clue.

Been driving Fords since I was 16. I've put 100,000-150,000 miles on every single one I've ever owned and they still ran great. Never a major repair either. Everything from a 87 Crown Vic, to an 88 Tempo, 93 Town Car and now a 96 Town Car. Mom has a 04 Marquis, my sister has a 88 and a 93 CV.

The 1988 Crown Vic (a police package) has 400,000 miles. Still runs wonderfully.

But quality is lacking? Puh-leease. I'd bet my life on a Ford every day of the week. Oh that's right, I already do. As a cop, I drive a CV every single day. 130,000 and still rockets down the highway.

:lol:

the 'end of warranty' does have to happen somewhere...things like the early 3.8 head gaskets, CV manifolds, maybe certain blend doors coulda been better, and in typical 20/20 hindsight, they probably are now.

BUT while nothing lasts forever, certain things definitely SHOULD- as when they dont you can too easily create an 'ex customer'. warranty's gone, water under the bridge, but its still a blackeye, as its not a part that would normally fail- EVER. vacuum controls, cable operators...well yeah, they are mechanical things, but if heat warps a plastic part thats supposed to be part of the heat/cool selector- obviously blame goes back to before car was built. hopefully things have gotten better, but theres some issues I kinda worry about-

new mustang 'floor' setting dont work...a tiny bit out the floor and a facefull of defroster. I found thread over at themustangsource.com forums (2006 section in 'issues') where some guys work ok, some dont, some work after shuting off for a bit, etc...I did find that on a cold day you can select 'floor+dash' and close dash vents to keep feet warm without roasting your face, but it sounds kinda similar already...then today a new TSB was posted about the fuelpump clicking off multiple times...basically says try another pump as nothing will be done, modificaions/replacements not recommended...but it dont mention the fuel puking issues that occasionally occur- apparently from same fill tube/venting issue...I've only got gas spewed on me once to date(second fillup- very upsetting) but its inevitable somebody will get their cellphone wet with gas and poof sooner or later...I sure hope the 'find another pump' solution aint still the 'fix' when the '08s roll out. would really suck to see the mustang become a 'media pinto' if a fuel burping incident ever results in a fire- let alone contributing to someone getting hurt. Ive got a BP I stumbled into a few weeks ago, went to same pump/same direction, filled 3 times uneventfully...first two times(both different statons) rinsed down side of the car(maybe 1/2 a cup - and a few cups- soaked my pantleg, stunk up that new car smell forever...) third gasup I was afraid, so stopped after 10 gallons, then tried the kinda far away BP and three times so far no problems...things like this worry me- as the TSB documents problems have been around , yet it appears perhaps another few hundred thousand units might roll out with known issues...

these are little things that can become bigger things if left unchecked- hopefully problem is still being researched and a cheap solution can be found- even more hopefully the 07 models will have things like blend controls and tank fill/vent issues that are NEVER an issue again...In defense of ford, a couple guys mentioned that thier toyodas or hondas or some imports(didnt pay much attention to) had fill issues occasionally too...its not just american companies, but the import fans sure love to point fingers at things like this. theres a really good post in one of these threads from a dealer of all makes about misinterpretations and misconceptions about foreign/domestic 'quality perceptions', and their stuff aint all its cracked up to be. sadly though, any 'issues' that stay 'issues' are just feeding the myths...no car is perfect, none wil ever be- but when something like a heater control or gas fillup becomes an issue to folks that have drove a lot of cars over a lot of years never even knew could be an issue...is not a good thing.

Ive had (pretty sure) 14 cars, been driving 26 years, and NEVER poured gas down the side of a car till my first two mustang fillups. I had to reconnect a heater cable that popped loose on my 65 galaxie, but- its 40 frickin years old...I love the mustang, its really the best car I could have ever imagined, and these little things dont make me dislike the car at all...but a lot of folks would be screaming at the dealer every fillup for another new tank(read of one guy on his third) that wont change anything...this is piddly stuff that just should not be an issue. the longer it goes on the more folks will get upset about it...if theyre worried about a flood of 300,000 buyers all insisting on new tanks/fillers, then do some other crap for 07- make it bigger(extended range) or some positive advertising type of thing, but please dump this tank before next model year. lots of folks have never had a problem- perhaps they also just buy gas at one station...guaranteed sooner or later on a trip somewhere they either will spend 20 minutes of clikclikclikclikclikclikclikclik to get a gallon in, OR have a big burp of vapor blow after click off blow a cup or two of gas out the side of the car.

Wow let's see you have a three year old car that's out of it's warranty period and you're bitching about an $800 repair? :rolleyes: Go enjoy your Honduh, I'm sure repairs after the warranty period will be just as "unreasonable" Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

I had my first Accord for 6 years. It needed 4 tires and one set of brake pads. It never went to the dealer once in 6 years.

The Taurus was 2 years old and made 11 vists to the dealer with 14 problems. Then the 15th problem with the blend air door.

You do the math....

I never said I bought a Honda truck.

Let's see....

He has the car for three years, FAILED to invest in his purchase by getting an ESP which would cover the car up to 100,000 miles... then wants to dump all over Ford over a simple part failure and a little heated air.

>> It's shame when you feel you must purchase the ESP, because you know there will be problems......

I guess you didn't see my comment about all the other problems with a 2 year old car. I was an American car believer my whole life. I do all out of warranty work on all of our cars, including engine rebuilds, clutch, PP and TOB's, differential rebuilds, etc. You are not talking to a mechanically uneducated person here. My parents and siblings felt the same way, until they tried a Toyota or Honda. Then they saw the light. No more trips to the dealer, in or out of warranty. Just rountine and expected maintenance. Night and day difference. I honestly felt bad about not buying American, but the advantages are far too great. Greater reliability, initailly and years later, higher fuel mileage, less pollution, no more rattles, and a much higher resale value. Not to mention the downtime and hassle when you have to bring the car into the dealer under warranty.

GIVE ME A BREAK.

Poor whiny person.

Let's see... remember the Honders that CAUGHT FIRE after a routine oil change?

Or...

The Toyoder Prius death traps that CATCH FIRE while driving down the road.

>> See Crwn Vic explosion comment below........

Oh, but bad design is only in Fords, huh? This guy needs to wake up and get a clue.

>> See reply above mr. clueless.

Been driving Fords since I was 16. I've put 100,000-150,000 miles on every single one I've ever owned and they still ran great. Never a major repair either. Everything from a 87 Crown Vic, to an 88 Tempo, 93 Town Car and now a 96 Town Car. Mom has a 04 Marquis, my sister has a 88 and a 93 CV.

The 1988 Crown Vic (a police package) has 400,000 miles. Still runs wonderfully.

But quality is lacking? Puh-leease. I'd bet my life on a Ford every day of the week. Oh that's right, I already do. As a cop, I drive a CV every single day. 130,000 and still rockets down the highway.

>> Make sure you get the Ford gas tank package installed ASAP to protect your CV gas tank from rear end collisions and explosions while you have someone pulled over. It's funny....Ford offers those parts for free to any LE Crn Vic, but the civillian with the Crn Vic has to pay for the retrofit out of their own pocket. Way to protect the public and keep loyal customers Ford!!

My brother is on the job and has had 3 Crn Vics as his cruiser. He knows all of the mechanics in the town DPW by their middle names because he has been their so much. All 3 vehicles have had numerous problems, both in and out of warranty. He loves the car because it's free and it's his take home cruiser, but he would never spend his hard earned dollars on one.

I've owned a number of vehicles from domestic manufacturers, Ford of course included, for six, ten, even 15 years with essentially no problems attributable to quality rather than normal wear and tear. I've just been scrupulous about maintaining them. In fact, in over 30 years I've had only one domestic product that I was truely not satisfied with in terms of quality (a late seventies Vega).

One bad experience shouldn't sour you on the make, or certainly not on all domestic manufacterers. So you had a problem with a Ford? Then buy a Chevy. A Honda? C'mon, support your country and your fellow citizens. Now more than ever it's damned important.

Edited by Jazzhead

I think we are confusing the "problem with the issue" here. He is not upset about the problem, but how the problem is or is not resolved. Personally, if the problem has a TSB, I think a "goodwill" repair wouldn't hurt Ford nearly as much as a customer turning into another Lemon or OTISFORSUCKS kind of person. I ain't saying he's right or wrong, but what I am saying is you simply cannot underrate the effect of a pissed off customer.

In addition to the Fords in my sig, I own an almost new Honda Accord also. And I can assure you....Honda's are good cars, but they have problems also. Everything mechanical has some issues eventually.

As the Honda and Toyota Accords and Camry's get more complicated, with more models, they are going to begin having same "teething" problems as Fords and GM cars have.

They mostly made their reputation during a period when they mostly offered simple models. With Honda's, you got DX, LX, or EX. The dealer installed the mud flaps, and that was it.

And to the original poster. What's the big deal about a $800 repair. And the depreciation was already lost on paper, it only hurts when you trade. So you spent thousands on sales tax, and new car depreciation, just to save $800. Smart!!!

You're either naive, just wanted a new car anyway, or this is not all of the story. I bet my dealership would have worked with me on the repair also. Maybe split it with me or something. I work at making friends with the people I deal with, so I won't have your problem.

Edited by Ralph Greene

In addition to the Fords in my sig, I own an almost new Honda Accord also. And I can assure you....Honda's are good cars, but they have problems also. Everything mechanical has some issues eventually.

As the Honda and Toyota Accords and Camry's get more complicated, with more models, they are going to begin having same "teething" problems as Fords and GM cars have.

>> I agree.

They mostly made their reputation during a period when they mostly offered simple models. With Honda's, you got DX, LX, or EX. The dealer installed the mud flaps, and that was it.

And to the original poster. What's the big deal about a $800 repair. And the depreciation was already lost on paper, it only hurts when you trade. So you spent thousands on sales tax, and new car depreciation, just to save $800. Smart!!!

>> Used Ford = Very low resell value. Used Toyo or Honda = Much higher resell value. Gee, I wonder why??

You're either naive, just wanted a new car anyway, or this is not all of the story. I bet my dealership would have worked with me on the repair also. Maybe split it with me or something. I work at making friends with the people I deal with, so I won't have your problem.

>> Some of your dealership friends are also getting fed up with how Ford is treating them. Take a look at an article in Forbes magazine a month or two ago. Dealers are dumping Ford in favor of other reliable brands. One dealer (who had been selling Fords for a few decades) basically said why should I continue selling 25 or 30 Fords per month when I can sell 100 to 130 Toyotas? And, he said Toyota doesn't treat me like crap.

As previously stated, I have had a few Fords. All of which had problems. Some issues were expected and reasonable, but many were unacceptable, whether in warranty or not. The cars have been to various dealers and guess what? The dealer has nothing to do with the original quality or reliability of the vehicle. Their part in my life was to fix the problem. That was not an issue. Most of my Ford problems, from what I remember, were corrected in one visit, unless parts needed to be ordered. I guess if you need to visit the dealer often, then you have no choice but to become friends with them. I can only speak on behalf of my own vehicles, as well as my family's. All of which have been maintained as per manufacturer's specs. The Fords saw the dealer often. The Hondas and Toyotas really didn't have any serious problems. My parent's Avalon did have a turn signal light burn out at 31,000 miles. New bulb replaced at N/C under warranty.

On my street I have seen the changes. A driveway and garage with only American cars driven for years. Then one family member gets a new or used Accord or Corolla. A few years later, there are 2 Asian cars. Then you see 3. Eventually there are no more American cars. Why is that? They saw the difference first hand and decided enough was enough.

I did not mean for this to be a "bash American cars thread", I just became frustrated with all the problems. I wanted to vent and I also hoped that someone of importance at FoMoCo in Dearborn would see how "some" customers have reached the end of the line and why.

I agree with you.... for the past 10-20 years, the Japanese have generally made more dependable cars, and the used car market has recognized them as superior with a superior value in the used car market. I'm making a very general statement, and there are exceptions. But my experience with Acura's, Honda's, and Camry's leads me to believe this is generally so, as you say.

However, that doesn't mean they last longer, or with some extra "fixing" they haven't been satisfying vehicles to own. But in a very general sense, I do agree with you.

But no one stays on top forever. With all the success of the Japanese, they also have begun to offer a dazzling aray of new models, which will have the same problems as the domestics (whatever that is). We may be seeing some of that now in Honda's for example.

But if you want real reliability, maybe it is time to switch to the S Koreans. They are the coming brands in the bread and butter segment, it seems.

After living with my wife's Montego, I've begun to have hope for the domestic brands again. Although it is not manufactured in a luxury car way, it's made good, and quality for the money is excellent. I imagine my ultimate satisfaction will be determined by how much they beat down the suppliers for a cheap price on parts.

But to me, switching to the Japanese now, and paying their generally high price, at this stage in the game, is like discovering stocks when the market is high. You are late to this party I believe. It's time to buy the new Ford models I think. My mother in law is excited to be getting her new Milan also. Good luck to you.

I too owend a 2003 Ford Taurus, 24v Duratec, Ses, the car was great, it did fail the trans at 20k, but the dealer replaced it, and gave me a loaner, I sold it to my mother in law, she LOVES it too, I still do all the maintanance on the car, has not been to the dealer since the trans. the only thing I will agree with you on is the dealer experiance, I had to shop around to find one of my likeing.

My big question is why threatin to by a Honda? It couldnt be a Gm? like a Honda is any better, support the economy of japan screw Michigan, attitude really blows.

I wish they had a crybaby smily on this site. If you do go buy a scrap import I hope it gives you years of problems.

Oh what were the other warrany issues? domelight not bright enough, gas gauge not staying on full, dirty windows.

Edited by 05StangAwsomecar

I failed to mention in my initial post that the same 2003 Taurus made 11 visits to the dealer under warranty to repair/correct 14 individual problems.

My G/F's honda has that beat, 16 trips now in 3 years, 3rd tranny alone, good luck....

Edited by kevinb120

I too owend a 2003 Ford Taurus, 24v Duratec, Ses, the car was great, it did fail the trans at 20k, but the dealer replaced it, and gave me a loaner, I sold it to my mother in law, she LOVES it too, I still do all the maintanance on the car, has not been to the dealer since the trans. the only thing I will agree with you on is the dealer experiance, I had to shop around to find one of my likeing.

My big question is why threatin to by a Honda? It couldnt be a Gm? like a Honda is any better, support the economy of japan screw Michigan, attitude really blows.

I wish they had a crybaby smily on this site. If you do go buy a scrap import I hope it gives you years of problems.

Oh what were the other warrany issues? domelight not bright enough, gas gauge not staying on full, dirty windows.

Trans failed at 20K ?? That sounds like a real gem. They supposedly corrected the premature trans failures in 2002. Our fleet vehicles saw lots of failures at 20K to 50K miles. Totally unacceptable.

Screw Detroit? Read the news brother. The world is moving toward one economy.

Problems - Yes, your almost right. No dome light problems, but lots of other "minor" things. Battery failed and replaced when the Taurus was 2 weeks old. Leaky oil pan gasket (2x), replaced control valve in the transmission, stabilizer links replaced (right side), faulty headlight housing collecting mosture and buring out the headlight bulb repeatedly until they replaced the housing. 3 sets of new rotors which warp prematurely on all Sables and Taurus' since FoMoCo designed the car with undersized front rotors (very common), passenger power mirror failed, HVAC blower motor replaced (another common failure), CES light, but no problem found. That's all I can remember off the top of my head. Yes, all very minor problems. You are right on the money!

Trans failed at 20K ?? That sounds like a real gem. They supposedly corrected the premature trans failures in 2002. Our fleet vehicles saw lots of failures at 20K to 50K miles. Totally unacceptable.

Screw Detroit? Read the news brother. The world is moving toward one economy.

Problems - Yes, your almost right. No dome light problems, but lots of other "minor" things. Battery failed and replaced when the Taurus was 2 weeks old. Leaky oil pan gasket (2x), replaced control valve in the transmission, stabilizer links replaced (right side), faulty headlight housing collecting mosture and buring out the headlight bulb repeatedly until they replaced the housing. 3 sets of new rotors which warp prematurely on all Sables and Taurus' since FoMoCo designed the car with undersized front rotors (very common), passenger power mirror failed, HVAC blower motor replaced (another common failure), CES light, but no problem found. That's all I can remember off the top of my head. Yes, all very minor problems. You are right on the money!

First off, are we talking your own car or fleet cars?

20k and replace the trans, yes it sucked but it can happen, they built how many of these? And it cost me no money, and they gave me a loaner.

I too replaced my rotors at 60k, what most people dont relize is if you torque them wrong, they will warp, it happens on allot of other cars too, and mine were doing fine until the dealer did the trans, have to pull the wheels right. I measured them, they would of been to thin by time I was done turning them, havent had a issue since the new rotors.

If you are talking about fleet cars, the most neglected and abused cars out there were people with different driving habits are concerned, who dont care because it isnt there car, and since I am a mechanic, and have worked on many fleet cars, I see first hand alot of problems and abuse and neglect.

And one economy of what? anyway you should go try the new Fusion, Milin, Zephar, nice cars, and buy the extended warranty.

First off, are we talking your own car or fleet cars?

>> This was my personal car, but I also had a few company cars (see 1st post). My company leased hundreds of Taurus' and Sables, so I got to hear about the horror stories routinely from co-workers and from my friends in the fleet department.

20k and replace the trans, yes it sucked but it can happen, they built how many of these? And it cost me no money, and they gave me a loaner.

I too replaced my rotors at 60k, what most people dont relize is if you torque them wrong, they will warp, it happens on allot of other cars too, and mine were doing fine until the dealer did the trans, have to pull the wheels right. I measured them, they would of been to thin by time I was done turning them, havent had a issue since the new rotors.

>> I know about torqing the wheels and I agree with you. In the case of the Taurus, the brakes were undersized from their first model and no corrective action was ever taken. Since these were our fleet cars, I heard first hand how often the rotors were cut (only once) or replaced (like you said, too thin after the frist trip to the lathe). Most of this work was done by Ford dealers, so you would think the torque issue would be addressed correctly.

If you are talking about fleet cars, the most neglected and abused cars out there were people with different driving habits are concerned, who dont care because it isnt there car, and since I am a mechanic, and have worked on many fleet cars, I see first hand alot of problems and abuse and neglect.

>> I agree with you in general, but not concerning the Taurus. Our large company ($75 Billion in yearly revenue) was very strict about maintaining the company cars. The company also offered the car to the driver for a great price once the lease was up, so the majority of the people were diligent about maintenace since chances were good that they would buy the car.

And one economy of what? anyway you should go try the new Fusion, Milin, Zephar, nice cars, and buy the extended warranty.

>> You know, foreign cars assembled in the US from overseas components. Ford has many plants assembling cars outside the US. Soon, China will be shipping and selling crap automobiles here. One world, one economy. They call it "Globalism". One part of the world has a financial problem and then our stock market dips. It's all tied together.

The Fusion and similar platforms look good. Initial quality looks strong. I hope they can compete with the makes of cars that have demonstrated a history of long term reliability.

Also, I think it's a shame when you have to add the cost of an ESP to the price of a new car since you believe you will probably need it.

Edited by mr_blue_twisted_steel

Oh man are we talking about fleets now too? Oh shit, I should mention about the two Insights my former employer had. After about 10K of rental use they kept going back to the dealership on a monthly basis for problems like trim pieces falling off to one of them getting the battery replaced, no not the battery for the ignition, but the battery pack cell thingy for the hybrid system. After about a year of this, they got dumped. :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

"Shocking" News......

Honda cleans up in Consumer Reports picks

All 10 of the magazine's 2006 Top Picks are Japanese nameplates, but half are U.S.-made Hondas.

March 1, 2006; Posted: 6:14 p.m. EST (2314 GMT)

By Peter Valdes-Dapena, CNNMoney staff writer

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) - Japanese carmakers -- or, more specifically, Honda followed by Toyota and Subaru -- took all ten spots in this year's Consumer Reports magazine top picks.

No American or European nameplates are represented in this year's list, which is published in the April issue of Consumer Reports magazine.

The lone American nameplate model on last year's list, the Ford Focus, was replaced this year by the new, redesigned Honda Civic

Of the five Honda vehicles on Consumer Reports' Top Picks, four are manufactured in the U.S. The remaining vehicle, the Honda Ridgeline, was designed and engineered in the U.S. but is built in Canada.

Of the five other vehicles in the list, two are Toyotas, two are Subarus and one is from Nissan's Infiniti luxury division. The remaining five are all are produced in Japan.

Consumers Reports buys vehicles anonymously for its test fleet through ordinary retail dealerships and tests them at a specially built facility in Connecticut. Among the tests performed are acceleration, handling, braking, ride quality and visibility.

In addition to track tests, test engineers also drive the vehicle in ordinary day-to-day situations.

To gauge reliability, the magazine surveys subscribers to both the magazine and its related Web site. Each respondent can supply data on up to two vehicles and the magazine has received survey data on about a million individual vehicles, Consumer Reports said.

In order to be considered for a Top Pick a vehicle must have at least average predicted reliability, based on survey results, and good scores in crash tests by the government and the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety.

-----------------------------------------

More trouble for Ford and GM

Thursday, March 2, 2006 Bloomberg News

Ford and General Motors lost more ground on their home turf to Japanese competitors last month. Ford sales dropped 4 percent and GM's fell 2.5 percent, as Toyota, Honda, and Nissan reported gains, as did DaimlerChrysler. "Ford looks to be in the toughest shape," said Jim Sourges of Cap Gemini. Both Ford and GM announced they would cut production of cars and trucks in North America over the next three months. The automakers have already announced a combined 60,000 in job cuts in the face of losses and falling market share.

Edited by mr_blue_twisted_steel

• 3 weeks later...

Oh you're just waiting to start another war here aren't you? Don't make me or anyone else pull out the JD Power and Associates stats, we will if we have to resort to it. I'll say this, my dad's 96' Sable, out of all the Taurus/ Sables we have owned, was the only realy problem child. It need transmission, a/c work, etc. My parents had a 94 that went on to my Grandma that never had a problem and I totalled the 2000, don't ask, long story!

Now as far as other Fords, well there is my Marauder. In her 42,980 miles I have on her, 10,000 I put on myself, I have never had any serious fuss. The car stalled out on me a few times while I was driving slow and I was using el cheapo Costco premium to fill the car. Other than that, 0 problems. The paint scratches a bit too easily and there are a few loose body/ interior pannels but nothing really that bad. There aren't any rattles to report. Air Suspension sounds funny once in a while but nothing out of the usual. Still rides better, stops far more smoothly, handels far better, and just overall out drives my dad's 03' Accord. Then again, I was never really impressed with that car. For all the "Jap" superiority, its nose dives under hard braking, rides too low, has stiff seats, and marginal build quality. It's plastics aren't any better than that found in American cars and I've had just as many plastic pieces break just as easily in that car as in an equivelant Ford.

The straw has finally broken the camel’s back. I have owned three Fords and driven three additional ones as company cars. My latest 2003 Ford developed a problem just beyond the warranty. I spoke with several other drivers (since our company leases hundreds of identical Fords as company cars every year) and I also searched on the internet. It turns out the problem is fairly common. Ford has issued a TSB describing the symptoms, failure mode and corrective action. They also re-engineered a part to correct the problem. My local dealer said the problem could not be repaired under warranty. Cost would be approximately $800. I called Ford’s customer service department for some relief. Same story, “Sorry, but I can not help you…you must bring the car to the dealerâ€. My feeling is Ford knows there is a problem with their design. They spent money to re-engineer a part to fix the problem. They should do the right thing and fix the problem created by their poor design.

Frustrated, I went out the following Saturday, purchased my second Honda, came home and placed an ad in the paper for the Ford. It was only two years old, but took nine weeks to sell at 37% of it’s original purchase price! It’s no wonder Americans are jumping ship and buying imports.

My wife and I will never buy a Ford for the rest of our lives. I am also confident my children will never set foot in a Ford dealer.

Ford - Goodbye forever.

I have bought Ford products ever since I got married and they all have had the same problem. A real annoying squeek in the passenger seat. @#&!*% Ford dealers :P

"Shocking" News......

Honda cleans up in Consumer Reports picks

Time for a chime in:

1) I would not use CR to line a birdcage. Bias is overflowing at that publication.

2)If you are unsure of the value of your Mustang GT, you can rest assure of at least one thing-it is worth more than any Honda, Toyota or Nissan of the same vintage.

3)I am an Assistant service manager at a Ford dealer and wonder what kind of service customer you were at the store which serviced your car (undoubtedly they must know you with all of the time spent getting your vehicle fixed). I know that if one of my customers came to me with this concern and had a history of service and maintenance work done at my shop-he (or she) would definitely get help in the repair.

4)Good Luck with your Honda.

Edited by Tiberius1701

3)I am an Assistant service manager at a Ford dealer and wonder what kind of service customer you were at the store which serviced your car (undoubtedly they must know you with all of the time spent getting your vehicle fixed). I know that if one of my customers came to me with this concern and had a history of service and maintenance work done at my shop-he (or she) would definitely get help in the repair.

ha ha ha ha ha

you're funny. A dealer that cares. Too funny.