purpose of hood blanket on 07 Mustang GT

sleepguy

Does the underhood blanket on my 07 Mustang GT serve any purpose? I've read on other Mustang forums that it 1. protects the hood paint from engine heat and/or 2. it melts when exposed to flames to supress an engine fire. Are either/both/neither of these true, or just urban myths? I can't imagine Ford would spend money to include a part that served no purpose, but can't seem to get a definitive answer as to what that purpose is in regards to the hood blanket.

Thanks.

Does the underhood blanket on my 07 Mustang GT serve any purpose? I've read on other Mustang forums that it 1. protects the hood paint from engine heat and/or 2. it melts when exposed to flames to supress an engine fire. Are either/both/neither of these true, or just urban myths? I can't imagine Ford would spend money to include a part that served no purpose, but can't seem to get a definitive answer as to what that purpose is in regards to the hood blanket.

Thanks.

I always thought it was strictly noise suppression. But who knows?

Boegey

Thanks.

Hi sleepguy. :D It is there for just the reasons which "igor" listed in your other post concerning this question. The primary function is to reduce engine noise. It's secondary function is to protect the underside (and therefore the topside also) of the hood from heat.

No, it does not "melt when exposed to flames to suppress an engine fire".

And regarding your question in the other post about removing it: No, do not remove it. Leave it alone so it can perform as intended.

Hope this clears things up for you. Good luck! :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

Hi sleepguy. :D It is there for just the reasons which "igor" listed in your other post concerning this question. The primary function is to reduce engine noise. It's secondary function is to protect the underside (and therefore the topside also) of the hood from heat.

No, it does not "melt when exposed to flames to suppress an engine fire".

And regarding your question in the other post about removing it: No, do not remove it. Leave it alone so it can perform as intended.

Hope this clears things up for you. Good luck! :beerchug:

Thanks for the low-down.

• 3 weeks later...

This topic comes up every new model year.....The same answers come up too, except you guy's missed the one about helping radio reception since there was a ground strap on some of them.

I've been running without mine for 7 years, and the paint is still good on top. The underside paint was never that great since they did not paint it that well, but then I'm sure they don't expect us to actually drive them like they are supposed to be driven........

On the '99 Cobra hood we have the inverted vent/duct/opening. When washed or rained on the insulator got wet. When removed the water does not get on the engine, so no damage there either.

Do what you want to do, but take care if you remove it incase you change your mind.

Have fun.

• 2 weeks later...