03 Explorer parking brakes

Anyone know how to adjust them? Pedal goes to floor, vehicle keeps rolling.

I just had this question/problem on my '04 F-150. If you have the rear disc/drum brake like my F Series, the parking brake adjustment is in the drum brake. Take the rubber plug out and make the adjustment to tighten the parking brake. If the Explorer has a disc only rear brake, I'm sure someone here will be able to help.

Good Luck.

Boegey

Got my hands on a repair manual. Says it has drums, but I can't find a rubber plug to remove so I can adjust.

Anyone out there?

It is usually on the backside under the axle tube. When removed, you should see a notched wheel. On my F series, if you rotate this whell downward it will tighten the brake pads. Going upward loosens them to facilitate removing the drum with little interference from the brake pads.

Boegey

• 2 weeks later...
I thought all Explorer's have 4 wheel discs since 2002.

Has disc brakes to stop the car, smaller drums for emergency brakes. Rear end is different from F 150 as it has IRS. Still can't find the plugs that would allow me to access wheel and adjust drums.

Has disc brakes to stop the car, smaller drums for emergency brakes. Rear end is different from F 150 as it has IRS. Still can't find the plugs that would allow me to access wheel and adjust drums.

the setup you have is drum hat the park brake shoes are located in the hub of the rear rotors you may not see the rubber plug the factory stamps a hole cutout on the backing plate this needs to be knoked out before you can see the brake adjuster, the adjuster needs to be backed off before you can get the rotor off most likely you will need rear park brake shoes they fall apart or come off the shoe backing very common concern on these units I am a tech at a Ford dealer have done numerous ones good luck

the setup you have is drum hat the park brake shoes are located in the hub of the rear rotors you may not see the rubber plug the factory stamps a hole cutout on the backing plate this needs to be knoked out before you can see the brake adjuster, the adjuster needs to be backed off before you can get the rotor off most likely you will need rear park brake shoes they fall apart or come off the shoe backing very common concern on these units I am a tech at a Ford dealer have done numerous ones good luck

Thanks. I have seen the hole cutout and thought I might have to knock it out. Does Ford make a plug to fill the hole once I knock it out? I'll check with my dealer and see if they can help.

Thanks. I have seen the hole cutout and thought I might have to knock it out. Does Ford make a plug to fill the hole once I knock it out? I'll check with my dealer and see if they can help.

yes Ford does make a rubber plug that goes in the back If you need park brake shoes the they also come as a kit with the shoes including the springs