Split-Bench Front Seats

Rob052067

I have searched dealer inventories all over Ohio and have talked to several dealers, but have not yet found an 07 or 08 Expedition equipped with the split bench seats in front or anyone who's ever seen them. There's no pictures on Ford's websites or in either the 07 or 08 brochure. I want to get the bench seat for better leg/knee room since it comes without the center console that is present between the bucket seats. Does anyone own a current model Expedition with the front split bench seats? Can anyone provide a description or pictures of them? Are they identical to the split bench seats in the F150 or different/better?

In the option description for the Expedition, the bench seats are described as 'low-back', but the seats I've seen in the F150 seem to be high-back and I didn't find them as comfortable as the bucket seats that are standard in the Expedition.

Thanks for any info or pix provided...

I have searched dealer inventories all over Ohio and have talked to several dealers, but have not yet found an 07 or 08 Expedition equipped with the split bench seats in front or anyone who's ever seen them. There's no pictures on Ford's websites or in either the 07 or 08 brochure. I want to get the bench seat for better leg/knee room since it comes without the center console that is present between the bucket seats. Does anyone own a current model Expedition with the front split bench seats? Can anyone provide a description or pictures of them? Are they identical to the split bench seats in the F150 or different/better?

In the option description for the Expedition, the bench seats are described as 'low-back', but the seats I've seen in the F150 seem to be high-back and I didn't find them as comfortable as the bucket seats that are standard in the Expedition.

I didn't think they made that option on the new Expy's. We have the split bench in our F-150 and I find that my 07 Expy is way more comfortable and more leg room.

Good luck in your search...

I didn't think they made that option on the new Expy's. We have the split bench in our F-150 and I find that my 07 Expy is way more comfortable and more leg room. Good luck in your search...

Overall leg room is very good in the new Expy (and MUCH better than the new Tahoe or Yukon thanks to their awful center stack that sticks way out into right knee area of tall drivers). But, I don't like my right leg resting on the edge of the center console. It is better than in most of today's vehicles, but I much prefer the added space of bench seats without the console. More freedom of leg movement.

What makes you think that's an option? Never seen or heard of one.

The buckets are standard, but there is a zero-cost option for split bench with a column shift. It didn't appear on the 07 brochure, but it does appear in order guides, so it may have been a late arrival. The option does appear in the 08 brochure and on all the order guides. Just no pictures found anywhere and I've found no dealers who ever orderd one that way. The 08 Expy order guide estimates that 10% of XLT models will be ordered with the bench seats. Hopefully I'll find one to test before I place my order in January.

Here's a post that contains the 08 order guide:

http://www.blueovalforums.com/forums/index...c=13631&hl=

Edited by Rob052067

They do make it and I've seen one.

It was ordered for the Park Sevice.

Plain wheels with center hub caps and a bench seat.--Cloth. It was a white exterior.

Probably the same as th NJ State Police use.

It was definately a plain jane but also very cheap. I forget the price but it raised my eyebrows.

It was the regular length Expy.

It was at Ray Price Ford, East Stroudsburg, PA.

Bob

Overall leg room is very good in the new Expy (and MUCH better than the new Tahoe or Yukon thanks to their awful center stack that sticks way out into right knee area of tall drivers). But, I don't like my right leg resting on the edge of the center console. It is better than in most of today's vehicles, but I much prefer the added space of bench seats without the console. More freedom of leg movement.

The buckets are standard, but there is a zero-cost option for split bench with a column shift. It didn't appear on the 07 brochure, but it does appear in order guides, so it may have been a late arrival. The option does appear in the 08 brochure and on all the order guides. Just no pictures found anywhere and I've found no dealers who ever orderd one that way. The 08 Expy order guide estimates that 10% of XLT models will be ordered with the bench seats. Hopefully I'll find one to test before I place my order in January.

Here's a post that contains the 08 order guide:

http://www.blueovalforums.com/forums/index...c=13631&hl=

Didn't know that was even an option. I doubt you'll find one in stock though. I bet they're close if not identical to the F150 bench seats.

There is a new Police Expedition down the road from me and it looks like it has just the regular bucket seats in it minus the center console and floor shifter.

The Dodge Charger police car is equipped the same way: column shifter versus the "civilian" floor shifter in order to have room for the computer and other necessary equipment.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

I have to say that I am very disappointed with the split bench seats in the 08 Expy. Since there were no such configured vehicles anywhere in Ohio, and no pictures anywhere to be found, I ordered the seats on faith that they would be similar to those found in the F-150. Now, the seats themselves are just fine. They are comfortable and supportive, and the fabric is nice - easier to slide on and off of than most fabrics.

The problem is that the bench seat comes with a simple foam center armrest with no storage, and the cupholders are not part of the seats or armrest, but rather pull out of the center stack (dash). The lack of armrest storage in the Expy is very disappointing, and the cupholders are practically useless to me as they pull out right into my knee space. The storage armrest with cupholders found in the F150 is a much better seat design. Almost as good as the similar configuration in the pre-2007 Yukon/Tahoe models. (Don't even get me started on the awful design of the current Yukon/Tahoe seating & center stack.)

While disappointed with the lack of storage and useable cupholders, I'm still very pleased with the overall comfort, leg room, and knee room of the bench seats versus the bucket seats with center console.

Edited by Rob052067

I have to say that I am very disappointed with the split bench seats in the 08 Expy. Since there were no such configured vehicles anywhere in Ohio, and no pictures anywhere to be found, I ordered the seats on faith that they would be similar to those found in the F-150. Now, the seats themselves are just fine. They are comfortable and supportive, and the fabric is nice - easier to slide on and off of than most fabrics.

The problem is that the bench seat comes with a simple foam center armrest with no storage, and the cupholders are not part of the seats or armrest, but rather pull out of the center stack (dash). The lack of armrest storage in the Expy is very disappointing, and the cupholders are practically useless to me as they pull out right into my knee space. The storage armrest with cupholders found in the F150 is a much better seat design. Almost as good as the similar configuration in the pre-2007 Yukon/Tahoe models. (Don't even get me started on the awful design of the current Yukon/Tahoe seating & center stack.)

While disappointed with the lack of storage and useable cupholders, I'm still very pleased with the overall comfort, leg room, and knee room of the bench seats versus the bucket seats with center console.

If you don't like cup holders that come out of the dash, then you should never even consider most BMWs. That's how many of their products put their cupholders. They pop out of the dash impeding knee room for the passenger, as well as blocking both air vents for the passenger. At least, that's how it is on our BMW.

Pictures?

Didn't Rob buy one? Rob, can you post a pic?

I've been meaning to, but kept forgetting... I'll do it now.

Here's a couple pix. There's a cheap $5 organizer/cupholder on the floor that I got from Amazon. It's crap, but it does the job.

post-28424-1208906428_thumb.jpg

post-28424-1208906444_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rob052067

I've been meaning to, but kept forgetting... I'll do it now.

Here's a couple pix. There's a cheap $5 organizer/cupholder on the floor that I got from Amazon. It's crap, but it does the job.

Does it not have cupholders that pop out of the dash?

Nice. What trim level is that?

A 9 passenger Expy....

It's an XLT. Front row bench seats are only available on the XLT.

It's a standard length Expy, without the 3rd row seat. So, actually, its a 6 passenger Expy.

Note: In place of the 3rd seat, there is a covered storage well in the floor where the seat would go.

Edited by Rob052067

Did you have to order it or did the dealer have one in stock?