Ford's Latest Tradmarked Nameplates...

Names that no one knows what they mean? Yes, since a lot of cars with actual names make SO much sense.

Please define any of the following names for me please:

Camry

Corolla

Altima

Maxima

Sentra

...Or any of the other plethora of made up words slapped on cars.

Camry is the Japanese word for crown. I think all the Toyota names mean something in Japanese or other languages. Camry replaced Corona which is also a Crown. Corolla are the petals of a flower.

Nissan's are all made up except for the discontinued Stanza although the Armarda, Pathfinder and Quest are all normal.

GM has alot of made up names, like Acheiva, Grand Am, Bravada...so what?

Exactly my point. There's no more value in a made up name (or a real one for that matter) than there is in a clumping of random letters and numbers. As long as there's consistency to the naming scheme and it emphasizes both the vehicle name and the brand, it can work just fine.

Re-establishing trademarks for Ford's classic names doesn't mean they are going to use them on new product. They are protecting the rights to the names for any reason that serves Ford's best interest, such as reproduction of classic car parts, accessories, scale model cars, etc.

Grabber was also renewed recently...

Ford learned a hard lesson not keeping some trademarks live like they should have with the Futura name...

Cadillac is working on a CTS coupe that is designed to compete with the Mercedes CLK and BMW 6-Series, that is absolutely SCREAMING for Eldorado badging.

:blink:

81eldobint.jpg

Show of hands:

How many people think of something like ^^ this ^^ whenever they hear the words "El Dorado"?

Yep. I thought so.

if your history is not being used as an identifier, then why bother to keep the brand?

I think the only --ONLY-- Lincoln 'heritage' name worth resurrecting is Continental.

And the MKS is -not- a suitable Continental.

----

Also, the use of the letters is to define the 'brand'. Of course you need more than just letters, you also need a certain coherence among various models. Lincoln is still a ways off achieving that, but give it time.

I think the only --ONLY-- Lincoln 'heritage' name worth resurrecting is Continental.

And the MKS is -not- a suitable Continental.

The last gen FWD Continental was nothing special to write home about...being Taurus based and all...

Anyways, talking about the last gen Conti...why did they do such a fast change over in styling from the 95-97 models to the 98 Models?

When I hear "El Dorado", I'm picturing sold old guy with a comb-over weave, with a long sleeve shirt, opened 5 buttons down, with some hairy assed chest and no less than 5 gold chains (If your in Miami, one of those chains will have at least 3 Catholic Saints hanging from it), the corduroy pants, and some white long toed glossy shoes. And I think thats probably the best sales years it had.

Speaking of, "Monte Carlo" NEEDS to die....Speaking of heritage...

Speaking of, "Monte Carlo" NEEDS to die....Speaking of heritage...

2007 was the last year of the Monte Carlo. Poor sales ended its tenure for good.

Note that certain NASCAR races have been featuring Impala SS graphics since early this summer.

1959-Cadillac-Eldorado-1280.jpg

That doesn't exactly help the case.

The '59 Cadillacs were not, by any creditable standard, good. They were the worst of excesses by every measure imaginable (except engineering). If not for their 12" tailfins they would be as forgotten as they deserve to be.

The '49 Cadillac fastbacks and the '54 coupes/convertibles were the best from that era.

CAD54cdv.jpg

54Eldo04b.jpg

1949-Cadillac-Club-Coupe-Fastback-Black-PO.jpg

Edited by RichardJensen

That doesn't exactly help the case.

The '59 Cadillacs were not, by any creditable standard, good. They were the worst of excesses by every measure imaginable (except engineering). If not for their 12" tailfins they would be as forgotten as they deserve to be.

The '49 Cadillac fastbacks and the '54 coupes/convertibles were the best from that era.

1949-Cadillac-Club-Coupe-Fastback-Black-PO.jpg

The 59 Cadillacs are entertaining and represent excess to the max. Thats how Escalades and Navigaors seem today.

Seeing a 59 Caddy in person it is just unblelievably huge. I have fallen out of favor of the bulbous exagerrated style of the '59.

I do prefer the later model blue 1962 I posted the picture of... Nice crisp lines in a less bulbous way. Most of the Cadillacs of the 1960's still look good to me that way. When the 1970's came though the Eldorados were just as excessive as the 1969's.

However the 1967 models were just beautiful, bladed, beveled and edgy... Very clean design that even the new Cadillacs still doesn't manage to my satisfaction.

The most pitiful fall from grace will always be the 1986 Eldorado shrunk down to Cutlass Calais/Pontiac Grand Am size. It's so horrible that much of the traditional styling elements were abbreviated into vestigial suggestions of what it once was.

I have to say the 1985 Eldorado Touring Coupe was a favorite of mine because it had a clean no-vinyl roof, some blacked out trm and nice split bucket seats with center console and a no-pillow leather interior.

Thanks for the picture of the black '49! I love those old Cadillac fastbacks from that era and the original style of tailfins and taillamps. It sure looks good in black with the chrome trim...

Edited by Watchdevil