Ford's Latest Tradmarked Nameplates...

I turned up some interesting things on a tradmark search...

Thunderstorm and Thunderstrike were both trademarked by Ford as automobiles and various accessories. I assume this was to prevent anyone from stealing the "Thunder" away from the Thunderbird nameplate which they have shamelessly murdered anyway... However they have neglected to trademark Thunderbutt and Thunderchicken...

Fairlane, Galaxie and Maverick have been renewed I suppose to avoid future "Futura" drama...

Territory is secured with a US patent...

Some interesting Lincoln names:

Aviator MKA, Navigator MK, MKA, MKC, MKE, MKF, MKN, MKT (Market? LOL), MKSW, MKV, Mark S... I assume most of the MK names are for MK protectionism while some things like the Aviator MKA, Navigator MK and Mark S seem like aborted names.

MKT came up a lot... I wonder if that will be the one they use for the Flex clone...

What is interesting is MKSW... perhaps THAT will the Flex clone that will coinicide with the MKS and be to it what the Taurus X is to the Taurus...

Looking through the rest of the list, a lot of names were listed DEAD... Mainly the "Hundred" series reservations and most of the various concept car names from recent years.

I would dread another letter to the MKS(W) Scheme...I already gave up on calling it Em-Kay-Es. I just call them MARK-S, MARK-Z, etc. Well actually pronouncing it "Markus (Mark-X)", "Marksy (Mark-Z)", "Marques (Mark-S)", along with the other incestual Mark Brothers.

I would figure the MKC would be used for a "C-oupe", or I'm willing they would use it for "C-rossover" Flex-Clone, and keeping "Marker (Mark-R)" for it's coupe which would still be years out in the future.

I turned up some interesting things on a tradmark search...

Fairlane, Galaxie and Maverick have been renewed I suppose to avoid future "Futura" drama...

Territory is secured with a US patent...

Fairlane :happy feet:

Territory:happy feet:

I would dread another letter to the MKS(W) Scheme...I already gave up on calling it Em-Kay-Es. I just call them MARK-S, MARK-Z, etc. Well actually pronouncing it "Markus (Mark-X)", "Marksy (Mark-Z)", "Marques (Mark-S)", along with the other incestual Mark Brothers.

I have absolutely no idea why brand with such a rich tradition and a host of reconizable names has to tank it all to copy all of the other 'no name' luxo-brands naming conventions.

I would even accept an official move to have the models changed to 'Mark' and then the assigned letter. At least Mark is part of the history.

Alan Mullaly - are you listening to this? You wanted the Taurus name back and now its time to start bringing names back to Lincoln.

• Like 1

Mark S ?? PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE make that the new name for the MKS .. and have Ford revert back to names ..

also Aviator MKA is EXACTLY my other suggestion..

Make your base cars have bnames .. Say Sentinel, Zephyr, Aviator .. and then have top-of-the-line models posses the Mark designations ..

So:

Aviator - Mark A (MKA)

Zephyr - Mark Z (MKZ)

Sentinel - Mark S (MKS)

Continental - Mark C (MKC)

Etc.

Galaxy and Territory would be fine vehicles to use in US .

Igor

Although you make a lot of sense about naming system. In the luxury car market; the model names of the car need to recognize the brand name with just the model name w/o the brand name. Luxury car owners like to brag about them; having instant brand recognizability from the model name is important. Instead of "I drive Lincoln Zephyr"; "I drive MKZ" and everyone knows it is a lincoln. I havent heard anyome say "I drive a Ford F150"; I hear "I got a F-150". And everyone knows it is a Ford Truck. This brand recognition will not happen overnight; but in the end it is beneficial. So see the below list:

european

XJ--- Jaguar

XK--- Jaguar

X(something)-- Jaguar

S80-- Volvo

S60-- Volvo

S(##)- Volvo

V(##)-- Volvo

328- BMW

535- BMW

(###)-- Some BMW

S550- Mercedes

S450- Mercedes

E350- Mersedes.

(letter) (###)-- Mercedes

A4- Audi

A6- Audi

A(#)-- some audi

Japanese

ES330- Lexus

LS 430-- Lexus

(Letter; Letter) (###)-- Some lexus.

G35- Infinity

M35 -- Infinity

(letter) (##)-- some infinity

TL- Acura

RL- Acura

(letter, letter)-- some acura

TSX; RDX, MDX-- don't fit the covention

Even American

CTS-- Cadillac

DTS-- Cadilac

(Letter, Letter, S)-- some Cadiliac as Acura can't have model names ending with a "S".

300C- Chrysler ( I know it is a big luxury brand; but outside US it is marketed as luxury car)

MKZ- Lincoln (zephyr-- it is done not to confuse old buyers)

MKS- Lincoln (Sedan)

MKX- Lincoln (X-over)

MKR- Lincoln (coupe high performance; see jaguar XKR)

MKT-- Lincoln (the new truck)

MKC-- Lincoln (probabily big new car-- Town Car replacement)

MK(letter)-- some Lincoln

So lincoln is finally follwoing the flow.

Edited by pkoko

Sometimes names are trademarked for toys, memorilbila, keep from other car compananies.

Maverick is used overseas, too.

Thats true too.. During the search it listed automobiles, accessories and etc.

There are a lot of reissues on toys and models lately since all the old model car kits have been put back into production because the molds were saved.

I have absolutely no idea why brand with such a rich tradition and a host of reconizable names has to tank it all to copy all of the other 'no name' luxo-brands naming conventions.

I would even accept an official move to have the models changed to 'Mark' and then the assigned letter. At least Mark is part of the history.

Alan Mullaly - are you listening to this? You wanted the Taurus name back and now its time to start bringing names back to Lincoln.

I agree, no more alphabet letters that no one knows what they mean unless they are in the car business.

Names for models.

The original reason Ford wanted to go with the lettering parlance is mainly so people would say LINCOLN, then say the lettering. SO in other words, they keep using Lincoln Lincoln Lincoln to discuss it. And in turn, people will do that now sayin "That new Lincoln crossover" when they refer to the MKX.

Although personally, I think there's some names, that do NOT need that kind of introduction. Everyone KNOWS who Continental belongs to, or Zephyr belongs to. It doesn't NEED an introduction. Saying Continental or even Taurus for that matter, is like saying "Madonna", You dont need to say Maria Veronica Ciccone cause we KNOW it's Madonna....

Now if Mullaly were to rectify this, just imagine how rediculous that Zephyr, went to Mark Z, then back to Zephyr. You know the media is gonig to harp on that for a long awhile..."the vehicle with the identity crisis"...

Zuh?

You got ummmm.....

Continental,

Then ummmm...

Mark some number or another.

And Town Car.

And Navigator

And ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm did I already mention Continental?

Thamk you for saying exactly what I meant to say.

Look at my above list; when everyone hears MK(Letter) and immediatley knows it is a lincoln. So you can have many models and almost everyone will know it is a lncoln like all other luxury brands.

Although personally, I think there's some names, that do NOT need that kind of introduction. Everyone KNOWS who Continental belongs to, or Zephyr belongs to. It doesn't NEED an introduction. Saying Continental or even Taurus for that matter, is like saying "Madonna", You dont need to say Maria Veronica Ciccone cause we KNOW it's Madonna....

ummm. who under 50 knows that....

And another thing... Supposedly Honda was going to sue Ford for using the M K X lettering, so suipposedly Ford backtracked and said "Oh ours are MARK X". Yet, I'm only seeing them refered to as MK-X, MK-S, etc. Not Mark This, Mark that?

Only the MARK LT, carries the full name.

The question is, are the people who want names back hobbyists/trivia buffs/, or real new Lincoln buyers. And not used livery car shoppers.

The last Zephyr was a Mercury Fairmont clone, whippie!

The last Zephyr was a Lincoln (2006 model year).

The Mercury version existed from the late 70's to the early 80's.

However, the Lincoln Zephyr originally applied to a Lincoln model from the late 30's.

How the hell would you write a song like "Leroy Brown" today?

He got a custom M-K-S

He got an X-L-R too

He got a 32 gun and a pocket full of fun

He got a razor in his shoe.

Don't speak so soon.

Cadillac is working on a CTS coupe that is designed to compete with the Mercedes CLK and BMW 6-Series, that is absolutely SCREAMING for Eldorado badging.

I have a feeling that if Mullally were hired a year earlier, we wouldn't have any of this MK-nonsense.

On a side note, I've always had grand plans for rebadging my own cars, if I had a little bit more time on my hands than I do. For example, I was briefly considering going to the dark side (or is it Deutsch side?) and getting into an Audi S8 or S6. As you probably know, with their Lambo-derived engine, I would have almost certainly gotten a hold of some Lambo-crests for some strategic fender, grill, and trunk placement. At the moment, I'm seriously looking at some lightly used 2006 Lincoln LS V8 models (God I love depreciation), which would then get Jaguar leapers for the fenders, to indicate the AJV8 under the hood. I'm also considering a rare 5-speed manual equipped LS V6 to have tuned and juiced-up, which would in turn get Porsche badging to indicate the Duratec's Stuttgart origins.

Zuh?

You got ummmm.....

Continental,

Then ummmm...

Mark some number or another.

And Town Car.

And Navigator

And ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm did I already mention Continental?

Ok - so my use of the word 'host' was wrong. They don't have multiple names, but IMO they have names from the past that are still strong.

In a market where everyone is moving towards letters for car names as opposed to true names, if your history is not being used as an identifier, then why bother to keep the brand? Are you not almost starting from scratch with these letter identifiers? Again, just my opinion.

I agree, no more alphabet letters that no one knows what they mean unless they are in the car business.

Names for models.

Names that no one knows what they mean? Yes, since a lot of cars with actual names make SO much sense.

Please define any of the following names for me please:

Camry

Corolla

Altima

Maxima

Sentra

...Or any of the other plethora of made up words slapped on cars.