2009 Boss Mustang Prototype Spied?

Blue Oval Guide

By the way gents, once upon a time yours truly restored and drove a 65 Mustang Coupe. Candy Apple Red, 302, Carter 4bbl 650, Dart II Windsor Junior Racing Heads, Heddman headers and Mallory Hi-Fire electronic ignition. It was quite the car. But I grew up and got rid of it. Now I prefer something with a nice quiet ride, decent pick up and 4 doors so that myself and my brood can all fit with no problem, a nice stereo and plenty of trunk space for weapons storage (don't ask). So you never know who might have been a gear head once upon a time boys. Things change.

That sounds like a BS story to try to lend some legitimacy to your insane anti-Mustang rants. It is entirely out of character for a person who supposedly "restored" a '65 Mustang with a hot rodded engine post something like this:

But seriously, there's a lot of people out there that would buy a 2 door coupe but don't want the sort of juvenille aspects of the Mustang with it's loud "look at me motor"
I know a lot of people who are Mustang enthusiasts and after putting so much time,effort, and passion into their cars, there's no way they would just turn so vehemently on the Mustang.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i was and still hoping for the new boss 302 motor, but we'll have to wait and see!

I was hoping for a n/a 5.4 but the Boss 302 will work if it has lot's of bottom end torque. I would like a new Mach that picks up where the '04 left off (without the squeaking dash mine has), hood similar to '03-04 with functional shaker, Mach specific wheels, upgraded brakes, etc. IMHO the '03-04 Mach was one hell of a deal, even with the cheap interior.

Would like to see the return of Azure blue!

Edited by Paul Selby

This thread has turned into a dick-measuring contest populated by bench racers. WTF

I still agree with Blackhorse on several of the issues he's brought up. Whoever buys this car is in my opinion getting duped. Ford has become the heroin junkie that whores its heritage for a quick fix of green. It's disappointing.

Whoever buys this car is in my opinion getting duped.

Oh please. It doesn't affect you in the slightest whether someone buys this car or doesn't, whether Ford builds it or doesn't and on and on it goes.

Furthermore, unless you missed a step, Ford has ALWAYS sold cars, therefore selling cars that are patterned after previous models could not possibly be construed as 'whoring out' its heritage--unless you admit that the 'heritage' was also whored out. If we use prostitution as a starting point, why Ford's history is full of nothing but prostitution. They sold the original Boss, they'll sell a 'heritage' Boss. Wooooo. That is so....... Uh.......

Edited by RichardJensen

This thread has turned into a dick-measuring contest populated by bench racers. WTF

I still agree with Blackhorse on several of the issues he's brought up. Whoever buys this car is in my opinion getting duped. Ford has become the heroin junkie that whores its heritage for a quick fix of green. It's disappointing.

hahahahahahahahahahaha! welcome to the contest!

Oh please. It doesn't affect you in the slightest whether someone buys this car or doesn't, whether Ford builds it or doesn't and on and on it goes.

I didn't insinuate that it affected me. I just see Ford wallowing in a bottomless spiral of dwindling marketshare and hope they will at some point get their shit together. The fact that Ford builds things without much consideration--as you're suggesting--has a great deal to do with why they're perceived as being out of the loop for where the market is headed.

Furthermore, unless you missed a step, Ford has ALWAYS sold cars, therefore selling cars that are patterned after previous models could not possibly be construed as 'whoring out' its heritage--unless you admit that the 'heritage' was also whored out. If we use prostitution as a starting point, why Ford's history is full of nothing but prostitution. They sold the original Boss, they'll sell a 'heritage' Boss. Wooooo. That is so....... Uh.......

True legends are just that because they happened at one period and time that can't be adequately reproduced. It was that special. As a testiment to how special it was, consider it was only in production for a total of four years. Attempting to bring that legend back is akin to jamming a square hole in a round peg.

We can talk about these subjects because they are there to talk about. No, I'll never have an interest in purchasing the car, but since I do have an interest in the automotive industy in general, and Ford specifically, I'm curious about how the Mustang program will fit into "the way forward."

I didn't insinuate that it affected me. I just see Ford wallowing in a bottomless spiral of dwindling marketshare and hope they will at some point get their shit together. The fact that Ford builds things without much consideration--as you're suggesting--has a great deal to do with why they're perceived as being out of the loop for where the market is headed.

True legends are just that because they happened at one period and time that can't be adequately reproduced. It was that special. As a testiment to how special it was, consider it was only in production for a total of four years. Attempting to bring that legend back is akin to jamming a square hole in a round peg.

We can talk about these subjects because they are there to talk about. No, I'll never have an interest in purchasing the car, but since I do have an interest in the automotive industy in general, and Ford specifically, I'm curious about how the Mustang program will fit into "the way forward."

have you driven a new mustang lately? Or, are you just saying that you don't like the way it looks?

have you driven a new mustang lately? Or, are you just saying that you don't like the way it looks?

I've driven a 2005 GT manual. It feels like a bigger car than the SN95 (which, dimensionally, it is).

I guess my argument against the direction the Mustang program has headed is that it's not a practical vehicle, which is where the successful car market is. The Mustang has been pushed into a market of "second car," or maybe "weekend driver."

I owned a Mustang as a bachelor for three years, so it's a type of vehicle I'm very familiar with. Having one as an only car got tiring. I much preferred a hatchback and FWD. The day the title came in, that's what happened.

I'm not saying this is "that's way it is," just that it's the opinion I grew from my own experiences. Ford N.A. is in serious trouble. When I got in trouble at school, it was "put away your toys and get your nose in the textbooks." I think Ford needs to consider a similar strategy.

I've driven a 2005 GT manual. It feels like a bigger car than the SN95 (which, dimensionally, it is).

I guess my argument against the direction the Mustang program has headed is that it's not a practical vehicle, which is where the successful car market is. The Mustang has been pushed into a market of "second car," or maybe "weekend driver."

I owned a Mustang as a bachelor for three years, so it's a type of vehicle I'm very familiar with. Having one as an only car got tiring. I much preferred a hatchback and FWD. The day the title came in, that's what happened.

I'm not saying this is "that's way it is," just that it's the opinion I grew from my own experiences. Ford N.A. is in serious trouble. When I got in trouble at school, it was "put away your toys and get your nose in the textbooks." I think Ford needs to consider a similar strategy.

As long as the Mustang is making money, which it apparently is, then it doesn't matter how impractical a vehicle it is. There is a LARGE market out there for "second cars". Heck, I own a second car. My Cobra was originally my first car. It did eventually get a little tiring as a daily vehicle, but I didn't sell it because of that, I just bought a more practical every day ride. There's a lot of us out there. Almost every Mustang owner I know personally has another "daily driver". It hasn't been pushed into that category of "weekend car". It has always BEEN in that category. Heck, it practically defined the term.

I totaly agree! I was the same way in school. I still love my stang, and so does my little boy. I like how solid the body feels,and i do enjoy the power when i need it. I personaly dont think this style will stay with the stang for to long anyway, but i do like it. do you like any of these pics?

post-22076-1180469738_thumb.jpg

post-22076-1180469750_thumb.jpg

Finally, some actual in depth talk about the Mustang other than "uuu look at the new running horse."

El Norte, I was not aware of some of those upcoming "gadget" options you pointed out. Thanks. The dual power seats I think just makes sense in this car. I guess they borrowed the lighting thing from the new Focus. To be honest I had almost forgetten about the color choice feature on the instrument cluster. Surprisingly goinbroke doesn't feel that's gadgety. lol The only thing I don't like about that option was that I always felt the color choice feature should affect the entire dash panel, not just the cluster. So some of those sound like they will do nicely in this car.

Now for those that think I could never have owned a Mustang just because I object to the current Mustang, there's nothing I can do for you. I don't need to offer up any legitimacy for myself, I am legitimacy. People change guys, people grow up, people have changes of heart and changes in taste. Like some of you I used to love the throaty exhaust and the hot cars because I was at that age where I wanted to be noticed and I wanted people to look at me. That's what a Mustang and cars of it's ilk are all about in the end. I have no such desires now. I look back on it with fond memories, but I don't want to be that anymore.

You know what's going to be really funny? When finally they introduce the first fully electric powered Mustang. lol No V8, no V6, just a battery. It's coming guys, it's going to happen, probably within the lifetime of most of us here. If it's not called a Mustang it will be called something else but essentially the replacement for the Mustang. It will likely be laden with all manner of "gadgets" that would just drive goinbroke up the wall. Ironically it will probably be a far better performance car then the Mustang is currently or ever has been.

Our grandchildren will one day learn about cars such as the 60's era Mustangs and Chevelles and GTO's and Chargers with ever larger displacement engines and ever worsening gas mileage. They will find them to be archaic and extremely inefficient as we now look upon forms of transportation from the early 1900's. It's not so far into the future as you might think. Hanging on to what once was is a fleeting attempt to recapture something that can not be recaptured. We should be making the Mustang of tomorrow not yesterday.

Hey. How many special edition Mustangs were there from like '99 to '04?

Cobra, Cobra R, Mach 1, Bullitt, 100th Anniversary, 40th Anniversary.... So how different is what Ford doing NOW, than what they were doing then?

Isn't it fair to say that the real beef here isn't the existence of the special editions, but the fact that Ford is finally getting a premium for them?

Isn't it fair to say that the real beef here isn't the existence of the special editions, but the fact that Ford is finally getting a premium for them?

I don't know Richard, maybe that is it, I never thought of it that way I guess. Although to be honest there was nothing cheap about the Cobra when it came out in the 90's. What was it 39 / 40 grand something like that? It was a pretty pricey car then too. However, to be fair, yes they were making quite a few specialty packages then as well, that is true. Also true is that almost none of them were offered in the V6 line Mustang. At least now they have the Pony package and this apparent upcoming Mustang Sally thing. I still would like to see them put the 3.5 V6 in their. Bill it as a performance version of the V6.

Hey. How many special edition Mustangs were there from like '99 to '04?

Cobra, Cobra R, Mach 1, Bullitt, 100th Anniversary, 40th Anniversary.... So how different is what Ford doing NOW, than what they were doing then?

NO, the real beef is that this is the product Ford wants to build the brand on, instead of ANY other image.

I don't know Richard, maybe that is it, I never thought of it that way I guess. Although to be honest there was nothing cheap about the Cobra when it came out in the 90's. What was it 39 / 40 grand something like that? It was a pretty pricey car then too. However, to be fair, yes they were making quite a few specialty packages then as well, that is true. Also true is that almost none of them were offered in the V6 line Mustang. At least now they have the Pony package and this apparent upcoming Mustang Sally thing. I still would like to see them put the 3.5 V6 in their. Bill it as a performance version of the V6.

Also the Mustang has gone 'mainstream'. The Bullitt & Mach 1 Mustangs from the previous generation were known primarily among fans. These new models are attracting a lot more attention. I think a lot of fans may feel that their sub culture is being exploited by Ford.

I totally agree that Ford has to be careful they don't overdo it, though.

I mean special editions are fine, but past a certain point they stop being 'special.'

Ask Bill France if you CAN have too much of a good thing (Nascar cologne and Harlequin romance novels, etc.)

People change guys, people grow up, people have changes of heart and changes in taste. Like some of you I used to love the throaty exhaust and the hot cars because I was at that age where I wanted to be noticed and I wanted people to look at me. That's what a Mustang and cars of it's ilk are all about in the end. I have no such desires now. I look back on it with fond memories, but I don't want to be that anymore.

Our grandchildren will one day learn about cars such as the 60's era Mustangs and Chevelles and GTO's and Chargers with ever larger displacement engines and ever worsening gas mileage. They will find them to be archaic and extremely inefficient as we now look upon forms of transportation from the early 1900's. It's not so far into the future as you might think. Hanging on to what once was is a fleeting attempt to recapture something that can not be recaptured. We should be making the Mustang of tomorrow not yesterday.

AMEN. My thoughts, exactly.

Also the Mustang has gone 'mainstream'. The Bullitt & Mach 1 Mustangs from the previous generation were known primarily among fans. These new models are attracting a lot more attention. I think a lot of fans may feel that their sub culture is being exploited by Ford.

i think thats a big part of the problem. its not unlike a favorite band 'selling out' and losing part of a core audience. Ford seems to be alienating some by watering down the Mustang image with the monthly special editions. I myself have grown tired of them also and only really look forward to the Bullitt hoping that its devoid of the stripe, spoiler and stickers most of the others ones really have consisted of. (i liked how the 02 Bullitt was a touch plainer than a standard GT) We shall see though. Ive thought about buying a Mustang pretty recently even and the only one i even would think if buying is a GT, 5sp, spoiler delete and maybe even a V6 grille.

As far as the other special Editions, (Cobra, Cobra R, Bullitt, Mach1, 100th, 35th and 40th anniv cars) those were spread out over 11 years. we werent hit with 7 versions of the same car in 3 model years - GT500, C/S, Hertz, Shelby GT, Stampede, Parnelli Jones (maybe that doesnt count, its technically a Saleen right?), Foose, Boss and Bullitt.

i think thats a big part of the problem. its not unlike a favorite band 'selling out' and losing part of a core audience. Ford seems to be alienating some by watering down the Mustang image with the monthly special editions. I myself have grown tired of them also and only really look forward to the Bullitt hoping that its devoid of the stripe, spoiler and stickers most of the others ones really have consisted of. (i liked how the 02 Bullitt was a touch plainer than a standard GT) We shall see though. Ive thought about buying a Mustang pretty recently even and the only one i even would think if buying is a GT, 5sp, spoiler delete and maybe even a V6 grille.

As far as the other special Editions, (Cobra, Cobra R, Bullitt, Mach1, 100th, 35th and 40th anniv cars) those were spread out over 11 years. we werent hit with 7 versions of the same car in 3 model years - GT500, C/S, Hertz, Shelby GT, Stampede, Parnelli Jones (maybe that doesnt count, its technically a Saleen right?), Foose, Boss and Bullitt.

There were Cobra, Cobra R, Bullitt, Mach 1, 100th, and 40th anniversary cars all on the market from 1999 to 2004. That's six cars in six model years.

From 2005-2010, six model years, there will be these special editions: C/S, Shelby GT, GT-H, GT-500, Bullitt, Boss. Six models in six years. If you want to count the incremental improvements to these models as models in their own right, that's fine, but I don't see any justification for it.

As far as the Foose & Roush editions go, the fact that they carry a Ford warranty should not be held against Ford Motor. I mean you can add these cars to the list, but frankly, I don't see a problem with after market tuners being able to sell waranteed products, do you? I mean, we never included the Saleen or other tuner models in the other list, so why include the Foose & Roush models in this one?

Edited by RichardJensen

There were Cobra, Cobra R, Bullitt, Mach 1, 100th, and 40th anniversary cars all on the market from 1999 to 2004. That's six cars in six model years.

From 2005-2010, six model years, there will be these special editions: C/S, Shelby GT, GT-H, GT-500, Bullitt, Boss. Six models in six years. If you want to count the incremental improvements to these models as models in their own right, that's fine, but I don't see any justification for it.

As far as the Foose & Roush editions go, the fact that they carry a Ford warranty should not be held against Ford Motor. I mean you can add these cars to the list, but frankly, I don't see a problem with after market tuners being able to sell waranteed products, do you? I mean, we never included the Saleen or other tuner models in the other list, so why include the Foose & Roush models in this one?

fair enough regarding the 'tuner' edition ones with a Ford backed warranty (Saleen, Roush, Steeda etc..). so whats the 45th anniversary edition gonna be packing? :D

as far as the 2005- 2010 SE models, do we count the Stampede (basically a renamed C/S maybe?), Pink Ribbon, 45th anniv (you know itll happen) and Pony editions too? brings it to 10. All Ford models there too, non tuner editions. i still consider the Foose cars factory, arent they built that way from Ford? or is the paint work actually done elsewhere? (genuine question, i really dont know) if so, id count it as 11 in 6 years.

by the way, regarding the markups on the SN95 SE cars, yeah they were marked up well around here. the exception is most of the Cobras were left somewhat alone. Bullitts had markups locally, im not sure if thats an exception though. Cobra R's are their own breed and ive heard they were treated as the premium products they were touted as.

Edited by Sixt9coug

fair enough regarding the 'tuner' edition ones with a Ford backed warranty (Saleen, Roush, Steeda etc..). so whats the 45th anniversary edition gonna be packing? :D

A Falcon Turbo I6 :stirpot:

Seriously, a new V8?

Edited by jpd80

Foose does all that stuff. It's actually a lot like the Shelby deal. They don't get a BIW exactly, but they get a pretty stripped down model.

I guess if I'm going to include the 35th, 40th & 100th anniversary editions (actually bumping the total to 7 models in 6 years), we should include the non-performance editions coming up and already here (Pony, etc.)

But I also think that Ford isn't really watering down the Mustang heritage. Part of the heritage is the special editions, and while Ford needs to be careful, I don't think they've crossed any lines yet.

A Falcon Turbo I6 :stirpot:

ha. as much as id love to see a Falcon here, (i bitch enough about it) Ive accepted it wont be coming here. The good news is DuPont will be giving me a company car in 2 years and they only use Ford vehicles. So at least ill stay in the family.

.... and while Ford needs to be careful.....

I agree with you there completely. I just think theyve gone a bit too far already. Will that affect anything though? naah. realistically i doubt it. At least its selling. For the record, i dont have a problem with SE cars. i just wish they would have spread em out a little more. so losers like me wouldnt bitch so much about watering down the brand. After all, one fat guy in SoCal can push around a big corporation right? :D