2009 Boss Mustang Prototype Spied?

Blue Oval Guide

It is a correct one. Both are 10X more expensive. I found that interesting. I had no intent of making any other point than that as you incorrectly surmised from my post. YOU made it complicated by reading more into it than was actually intended.

Oh ok, I got you buddy. Sorry about that. Yeah it looked to me like you were trying to imply that since both the Mustang and the cost of a gallon of gas are both 10X more expensive then they were in 1968 that really thing's haven't changed. Which we both know is not correct. Sorry man, I misunderstood the point you were making.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh ok, I got you buddy. Sorry about that. Yeah it looked to me like you were trying to imply that since both the Mustang and the cost of a gallon of gas are both 10X more expensive then they were in 1968 that really thing's haven't changed. Which we both know is not correct. Sorry man, I misunderstood the point you were making.

It's cool dude! B)

Oh if only the comparison were so simple. Look if you can afford a 30 grand (overpriced) Mustang GT and the gas bill that comes along with it go ahead and get the thing if you want. But as far as saying 10X this and 10X that, it's just not a realistic comparison. In the 60's there were still far more stay at home Mom's then there were working Mom's because frankly families could still afford to have one bread winner. In the 60's your monthly budget didn't include things like $60 to $100 a month to watch TV, insurance premiums on both your home and auto did not take as much out of your income then as they do now, especially in states where it wasn't mandatory to have it. The cost of food to your monthly budget wasn't as high. In short, though things may be 10X as expensive now, salaries have not kept pace accordingly and you have a lot of things taking money out of your monthly income now that you didn't then.

This is why the muscle car era flourished as it did. In a time when there was no such thing as X-Box, the internet, computers, MP3's, and the myriad of other things we have in this day an age to occupy our time, the car was the thing that supplanted them. They were pound for pound more affordable to more people. They were the X-Box / Playstation of their day. Muscle cars gave a lot of young guys something to do with their time when they weren't working. They were affordable and fun. Now they aren't. They should be appreciated as a great part of bygone American pop culture. It's silly to try and recapture that magic. You can't live in the past.

If you really want to know what the modern day equivalent of the Mustang is (and here's the part that really gets gear heads mad at me) it's cars that aren't even being made by American car companies. The original concept of the Mustang was a compact car that was affordable and fun to drive. For that now you have to look at cars like the Mazda 3, the Civic, the Scion TC, the Rabbit, the Focus (especially the C1), and so on. Ironically, these are some of the same cars that today's young generation are tweaking and playing with, to pass the the time when they aren't working.

It's true the Mustang does not have the same kind of broad appeal it didn in the 1960's. The Mustang, if I recall correctly, was one of the first small, sporty, affordable cars built by Detroit, and also sold nearly 300,000 units in its better years. Their alternatives were floaty-boat barges like the Galaxie and econo-boxes like the Falcon. You're right in a lot of ways.

Ford can't replicate the 1960's Mustang, but they can capture a lot of the magic. The current Mustang is a sporty, fast car to be had in both coupe and convertible, with seating for 4, and very affordable to those who want one. No car sold today has those characteristics, ESPECIALLY the RWD and unique style. The Civic, Rabbit, and Eclipse are all capturing magic from the 80's and 90's. Even the 5.0 Mustangs of the 80's evoke fond memories from those growing up during that time.

No vehicle can survive on bottled magic and memories of a bygone era. The Mustang provides a large value-add in addition to the flavor provided by the magic. The Boss Mustang is a special edition for those who remember the 60's model, or for younger people who want a fast, cool-looking car.

I think the first Mustang to start establishing a new legend will be the 425hp 3.5TT Mustang debuting in 2009.

Certainly I'm not foolish enough to think Ford is going to rethink their entire Mustang program just because of the misgivings of one man who finds the whole concept silly. I'm just giving my opinion on the matter. For instance.

The current Mustang is a sporty, fast car to be had in both coupe and convertible, with seating for 4, and very affordable to those who want one. No car sold today has those characteristics, ESPECIALLY the RWD and unique style.

Where is the cut off between what is considered a fast car and not a fast car? Is there a magic number?

Seating for 4? Really, have you seen the back seat of a Mustang? It's a joke. We all know this, the back seat was not seriously designed to seat an adult comfortably for any length of time.

Very affordable? What defines affordable to you? I can afford a car in the price range of a Mustang GT but I wouldn't call it an affordable car. At least not affordable to the majority of the people out there. In my estimation the V6 Mustang is by far the better choice of this car. You can purchase a nicely equipped V6 for somewhere around 21 to 24 thousand, so long as you don't mind the lackluster interior. The V6 is a good performer, I'd even say it's fast. But then you get to put up with the whole chorus of know nothing guys out there that will tell you that if you didn't buy the GT you didn't really get a Mustang or that the V6 is for girls or some other such absolute nonsense.

Unique style? How unique can it be, it's a knock off of a late 60's fastback. There's nothing unique about that.

See how opinions work. By the way there's plenty of cars that fit the bill for what you describe as the best features about the Mustang with the exception of the RWD part. Rear wheel drive, as we all know, is not as prevalent as it once was. Some might say that in a sports car it's a huge deal. I would submit that for John Q driver out there on the streets it's not really a factor as 95% of them will never push a car to those limits anyway. For my money, the RX8 is everything you described about the Mustang GT only better and with the exception of convertible top, which I don't care for anyway.

Edited by BlackHorse

Undoubtedly an unpopular opinion on a forum of this nature... but I am in complete agreement. It is not 1968. That was 40 years ago. Gas is over $3.00/gallon now and Mustangs don't cost $2,800 new any more.

$2800 new? Neither does any other car. Do you think the Mustang gets THE worst gas mileage of any vehicle on the road selling 150K+ units per year? I consistently get 22+ mpg out of my 2002 V8 driving around 150 miles per week.

For others thinking that Ford should offer more in their upcoming SE's: Does the Mustang have any competition at this point? Wait...the answer is No. Until it has some competition, is there any reason for Ford to show all of their cards? Again, the answer is No.

Edited by 02MustangGT

$2800 new? Neither does any other car. Do you think the Mustang gets THE worst gas mileage of any vehicle on the road selling 150K+ units per year? I consistently get 22+ mpg out of my 2002 V8 driving around 150 miles per week.

For others thinking that Ford should offer more in their upcoming SE's: Does the Mustang have any competition at this point? Wait...the answer is No. Until it has some competition, is there any reason for Ford to show all of their cards? Again, the answer is No.

Don't confuse them with logic!!

Maybe ford should build what these guys consider a "mustang". Let's see, make it front wheel drive (for 95% of people out there) give it a "sporty" 4 or 6 cyl which is so much better on fuel and can be turbo'd to give the same or better performance as a v8 and then we'll give it a sporty name because after all mustang is so 60's and nobody really recalls anything from the past anyway... how about "probe"? Yeah that was to be the "next" mustang, all "modern" like the geeks wanted right?

AND HOW DID THAT WORK OUT????? :finger::finger:

A Mustang is what it is, don't try to change it to suit your personal tastes or wants. It has been around since 64 (1/2) and is still here selling well to both gearheads and kids/women/whatever. 4/6/8 cyl at one time or another, sporty,economical, low priced, fits many styles as it can come basic and you "personalise" it yourself. Yes it's sold better some years than other, had more power or better milage some years more than others, but the basic package that is the mustang is good.

Someday we might all be driving nuclear fusion appliances with no personality because mods will be outlawed. Of course then some on here will still complain that domestic appliances don't have as nice of colours or something. :censored:

Well said, goinbroke2, as a an owner of several Mustangs past and present, I must agree, the Mustang has always been a Mustang. Get over it people, no matter how many SE models are released, no matter how much those SE's sell for, the Mustang will continue to sell more than any other RWD 2 door sports/pony/muscle (whatever you want to call it) car out there.

Now back to the topic, are the pictures posted that of a future Boss model with power upgrades or some other type of special edition?

Edited by 02MustangGT

It's true we got off topic here. Thanks. Ok, so, yet another overpriced wannabe classic Mustang with a sticker package, a cold air kit, and oh, don't forget the offset horsey. Oh, and don't forget that's worth at least 6 or 7 grand over the price of a GT just because it's labeled "Boss". Meh. I'll take a pass.

The truly great thing about Mustang GT's is that it makes it easy to spot the guys who never grow up in traffic. lol

Edited by BlackHorse

Don't confuse them with logic!!

Maybe ford should build what these guys consider a "mustang". Let's see, make it front wheel drive (for 95% of people out there) give it a "sporty" 4 or 6 cyl which is so much better on fuel and can be turbo'd to give the same or better performance as a v8 and then we'll give it a sporty name because after all mustang is so 60's and nobody really recalls anything from the past anyway... how about "probe"? Yeah that was to be the "next" mustang, all "modern" like the geeks wanted right?

AND HOW DID THAT WORK OUT????? :finger::finger:

A Mustang is what it is, don't try to change it to suit your personal tastes or wants. It has been around since 64 (1/2) and is still here selling well to both gearheads and kids/women/whatever. 4/6/8 cyl at one time or another, sporty,economical, low priced, fits many styles as it can come basic and you "personalise" it yourself. Yes it's sold better some years than other, had more power or better milage some years more than others, but the basic package that is the mustang is good.

Someday we might all be driving nuclear fusion appliances with no personality because mods will be outlawed. Of course then some on here will still complain that domestic appliances don't have as nice of colours or something. :censored:

On Topic,

While Ford chases a market for nostalgia buffs, they can cash in a little but,

to avoid broader appeal is to miss a gold mine.

How about something saleable in the rest of the world.

Turbo 6s out of PAG or Falcon giving better fuel economy and far more power.

Just a thought for beyond the North American borders....

Edited by jpd80

Yeah, there's a place for the mustang. No one argued to bring back the Probe. But oh by the way, in spite of a slew of special-limited-edition flashback decal models, it was outsold by the lowly, horribly styled Prius (which I loathe);

http://blogs.edmunds.com/Straightline/2793

Prius sales in 2007: 52,738, up 73%

Mustang sales in 2007: 47,082, down 16%

If the Mustang's so great, I just wish Ford would stop trying to release a new edition every other month to keep it on the front page of the magazines. It's not that I dismiss the under-endowed (or, V-6 variant feminine) Mustang buyers, I really just wish Ford didn't want the Mustang to be the face of the brand today.

whine whine, bitch bitch, cry cry, thats all i hear from some of the members in this thread, look i do agree that they are getting a little out of hand with the mustang variants but then a gain thats what makes mustangs great, ok now lets throw all of this fuel economy bull shit out of this thread cause this is supposed to be for the BOSS which is not going to be the most fuel saving car. instead of having a buillit and a boss out on the street just when the GT500 and Shelby GT have been out, they should make the base V8 model a very hard to beat powerhouse that is a MUSTANG, then pick ONE special edition mustang to have out that is very hard to beat, but make it in higher production so the price isn't outrageous and have it out for more than 2 years, that way there is more distinction in the Mustang

Prius sales in 2007: 52,738, up 73%

Mustang sales in 2007: 47,082, down 16%

well those are two extremely different classes of cars

and that also shows that America is becoming dull and has no want of performance on the road, but then again you just compared Prius sales to Mustang sales

well those are two extremely different classes of cars

and that also shows that America is becoming dull and has no want of performance on the road, but then again you just compared Prius sales to Mustang sales

:hysterical:

This is why I drive a Volvo. Call me dull or whatever you want but the last time I checked the streets are not the place for you to be performance driving. This once again goes back to my comment about Mustang GT drivers never growing up. Municipal streets are not a race track. They are not there for you to get your thrills and start racing everything in sight. There's plenty of ways for you to get some excitement in your life without having to risk the lives of other innocent drivers and passengers on the road. That to me shows an absolute lack of maturity.

Additionally I'm not so sure that it's beyond the pale to compare Mustang and Prius. Some of you guys around here will maintain that the Mustang can't be compared to any other car on the market right now. Unfortunately back in the real world when someone sets out to buy a new sports car you can bet they don't think the Mustang can't be compared to other cars on their list.

:hysterical:

This is why I drive a Volvo. Call me dull or whatever you want but the last time I checked the streets are not the place for you to be performance driving. This once again goes back to my comment about Mustang GT drivers never growing up. Municipal streets are not a race track. They are not there for you to get your thrills and start racing everything in sight. There's plenty of ways for you to get some excitement in your life without having to risk the lives of other innocent drivers and passengers on the road. That to me shows an absolute lack of maturity.

Additionally I'm not so sure that it's beyond the pale to compare Mustang and Prius. Some of you guys around here will maintain that the Mustang can't be compared to any other car on the market right now. Unfortunately back in the real world when someone sets out to buy a new sports car you can bet they don't think the Mustang can't be compared to other cars on their list.

Of course people compare the Mustang to other sports cars. If you're shopping on price, you can get a Solstice, Miata, RX-8, 350Z, among many others in the price range, and of course they're going to be compared.

HOWEVER, aside from being fun to drive, the Mustang isn't really comparable to any of the others in driving characteristics. A comparable pair of cars would be the Miata and Solstice. Same characteristics, different wrappers.

It was mentioned the RX-8 is probably the closest thing to a Mustang you can buy right now, since its a semi-affordable 2+2 sports coupe. The RX-8 places its emphasis on razor-sharp handling and high-revving, where the Mustang is more of a cruising torque-monster.

Until the Challenger and Camaro hit the market, the Mustang has no direct competition.

I'm not even going to get into your accusations of immaturity on the part of people who like fun-to-drive cars. I can't defend people going 150 down LI parkways in their M3's during rush hour, but there's a difference between enthusiastic driving and dangerous driving.

I'm not opposed to people buying "fun to drive" cars by any means. Also I have to keep in mind that in the area where I live, the Mustang is the icon of redneck. Newer Mustangs especially are almost always being driven by some lowlife who's slamming the gas out of every light and just itching for someone to even remotely rev their engine. Back in the 80's it was the Camaro that attracted this bunch, but when the new Mustang came out in the mid 90's they all switched. So to some extent I'm biased against the car given who drives most of them around here and the way they drive. But also I just think the wannabe classic thing is silly.

Until the Challenger and Camaro hit the market, the Mustang has no direct competition.

It depends on how you define competition. Are you looking at it purely from a "My car will beat your car in a race." standpoint or are you looking at it from a "Which car will I buy?" standpoint?

Edited by BlackHorse

I'm not opposed to people buying "fun to drive" cars by any means. Also I have to keep in mind that in the area where I live, the Mustang is the icon of redneck. Newer Mustangs especially are almost always being driven by some lowlife who's slamming the gas out of every light and just itching for someone to even remotely rev their engine. Back in the 80's it was the Camaro that attracted this bunch, but when the new Mustang came out in the mid 90's they all switched. So to some extent I'm biased against the car given who drives most of them around here and the way they drive. But also I just think the wannabe classic thing is silly.

It depends on how you define competition. Are you looking at it purely from a "My car will beat your car in a race." standpoint or are you looking at it from a "Which car will I buy?" standpoint?

What are you talking about?? Do you not understand, the Mustang has NO direct competition right now. Name a car in the same price range, with the same power, RWD, 2 doors, etc, etc. There are no other cars in that class right now. Competition in the automotive world has been defined as class of car. Did you compare your Volvo with a Cobalt when you made your purchase? I doubt it. Just as I never compared my Mustang or LS with a Prius. You should think before you start spewing nonsense...

By the way, this topic wasn't intended to be about opinions on what the Mustang is or should be, there is a picture posted of what could be another SE, although I've yet to read many comments regarding what it might be.

God damnit, stop it with this fuckin redneck stereotype bullshit, sorry for my language, it just gets really retarded what people say, i meant driving performance, not stomping on the gas at every light, oh and you aren't dull, ill take a newer Volvo any day, ive driven the S40 and S60 and they have a sporty feel to them, i meant for use on a track, i have a passion for driving, even though i drive an F-150 i believe having a passion for driving isn't a car that just gets you from point A to point B, it is something that you have fun driving and are not the person that says, "oh i don't want to drive, why don't you drive honey"

and what is so bad about occasionally hauling ass, not saying do it on busy streets, but i have been on country roads that are great for having fun with your car, and there wasn't a car for miles

oh and you aren't dull, ill take a newer Volvo any day,

Yes, actually, I would likely consider him a DORK. As stereotypes go, there is a dork that lives across the street from me, he drives a Volvo S80. That must make Blackhorse a dork. :hysterical:

All kidding aside, there are plenty of different people across this nation and to stereotype them based on the car that they drive is just idiotic.

Edited by 02MustangGT

What are you talking about?? Do you not understand, the Mustang has NO direct competition right now. Name a car in the same price range, with the same power, RWD, 2 doors, etc, etc. There are no other cars in that class right now. Competition in the automotive world has been defined as class of car. Did you compare your Volvo with a Cobalt when you made your purchase? I doubt it. Just as I never compared my Mustang or LS with a Prius. You should think before you start spewing nonsense...

By the way, this topic wasn't intended to be about opinions on what the Mustang is or should be, there is a picture posted of what could be another SE, although I've yet to read many comments regarding what it might be.

I'm so sorry if you're not able to rationalize and grasp schools of thought and points of view that are beyond your comprehension level 02Mustang. lol Perhaps that is why you don't know what I'm talking about. Read it again little buddy.

Apparently from your point of view competition to the Mustang relates directly to horsepower and configuration, in this case RWD. To that end you also apparently feel that this negates all other cars from being considered when a person sets out to buy a new sporty type car such as the Mustang.

Now here's the bad news, the majority of people don't buy cars that way, sorry to burst your bubble. Say some guy has decided he wants to buy a new sporty car that's fun to drive. I promise you the Mustang will not be the only car on his list just because it has 2 doors and a rear differential. He's likely to also drive an Eclipse GT, the RX8, perhaps a Solstice or Sky, heck he might even look at a G6 GTP. There's numerous cars on the market that he might consider. The Mustang offers a certain set of features that might be appealing, so do all of the others. In the end, the answer is that the Mustang most certainly does have competition. That's not to say it's not a really fast and fun to drive car, but heck maybe he opts for the Eclispe GT because he likes the body style better and it has that kick ass Rockford Fostgate stereo. Maybe he opts for the RX8 because he loves how it handles and it has a first rate interior. There's more to buying a sporty car then how fast it will go in a straight line. That way of thinking is outdated. Heck, he might even opt for a Mazda Speed 3 which is only a hair slower than a Mustang GT, for less money and with a far better interior and will destroy the Mustang on a slalom. Are you grasping it now bud? Is it starting to make sense? If everyone bought sporty cars based on the criteria you've laid out then no one would ever buy any of these other cars and still others I haven't listed, everyone would just buy a Mustang. But guess what, they do buy other cars.

God damnit, stop it with this fuckin redneck stereotype bullshit, sorry for my language, it just gets really retarded what people say, i meant driving performance, not stomping on the gas at every light, oh and you aren't dull, ill take a newer Volvo any day, ive driven the S40 and S60 and they have a sporty feel to them, i meant for use on a track, i have a passion for driving, even though i drive an F-150 i believe having a passion for driving isn't a car that just gets you from point A to point B, it is something that you have fun driving and are not the person that says, "oh i don't want to drive, why don't you drive honey"

and what is so bad about occasionally hauling ass, not saying do it on busy streets, but i have been on country roads that are great for having fun with your car, and there wasn't a car for miles

I know the redneck stereotype thing isn't fair. I know a couple of guys that drive new stangs at work and they are certainly not rednecks, they are pretty good guys. But on the average, necks. lol As far as spirited driving on a desolate road, that's perfectly cool, even I have done that of course. But unfortunately around here in the city, there's too many guys hammering the gas on the stang at the street light. But then it's not uncommon to see some kid rendering his version of Fast and the Furious out there either. You young guys are so full of shit. lol As for whether or not I'm a dork. What good would it do me to protest, I can't prove anything on here to any of you guys. But I think the guys in my old unit might disagree with that assessment. lol

I know the redneck stereotype thing isn't fair. I know a couple of guys that drive new stangs at work and they are certainly not rednecks, they are pretty good guys. But on the average, necks. lol As far as spirited driving on a desolate road, that's perfectly cool, even I have done that of course. But unfortunately around here in the city, there's too many guys hammering the gas on the stang at the street light. But then it's not uncommon to see some kid rendering his version of Fast and the Furious out there either. You young guys are so full of shit. lol As for whether or not I'm a dork. What good would it do me to protest, I can't prove anything on here to any of you guys. But I think the guys in my old unit might disagree with that assessment. lol

Do you ever shut the hell-up. lol You sound like one of those assholes that think they have to police the roads if someone doing something you dont like! lol ireally dont care what you think of the mustang or the people who drive them, and from i can tell no one else does either. Maybe you should go take a ride in your volvo, and get some fresh-air. lol :kissass:

People like Mustangs. People like fast cars, and like to say theirs is the fastest. Doesn't matter if we're in a recession, a period of extrodenarily high fuel prices, etc. It doesn't matter, as Ford is selling Mustangs and people like them. Stop putting personal biases into place and realize that 150k people wanted Mustangs last year, another X number wanted G35's and 350Z's and Corvette's. They don't care whether or not you think they shouldn't like to go over the speed limit. Maybe they don't go over 30mph, but they have the car of their dreams and you pissing all over it doesn't make any difference. Jesus Christ in a rowboat, I can't believe we have to waste time here explaining why cool cars are cool, and why anyone would want to buy one.

End of story. Get over it, and get back to the discussion of what the next special edition is going to be.

Mustang GT competitors are, Mazda RX-8 (Ford) so not really a competitor. Nissan 350Z and BMW 3 Series Coupe.

Mustang Shelby GT500 competitors are, BMW M3, Corvette Z06 and Corvette C6, Dodge Viper SRT10. (Based on the HP #s, but really no competition for the 500 Hp club on price.)

The Mustang is one of the highlights of the Ford line up, I think every one out there knows a Mustang, so Ford will utilize the Mustang to get people into Ford showrooms, not just to sell Mustangs but other products.

Do you ever shut the hell-up. lol You sound like one of those assholes that think they have to police the roads if someone doing something you dont like! lol ireally dont care what you think of the mustang or the people who drive them, and from i can tell no one else does either. Maybe you should go take a ride in your volvo, and get some fresh-air.

Calm yourself el norte, there's nothing you can do about my being here, nothing. Everyone has their opinion about things, that's the great thing about Forums. Feel free to block me if you don't like mine.

End of story. Get over it, and get back to the discussion of what the next special edition is going to be.

There's nothing special about this "Boss" Mustang. They moved the horsey off to the left, put a sticker kit on it, left the spoiler and taillight panel black and put different wheels on it and you guys are making out like its some big damn deal. UUUUUU, they removed the fog lamps!!! UUUUUU, the spoiler is black!!! UUUUUU The running horse is different!!!! This whole thread from the very first post has been one big giant joke to me. So I'm here to joke you kids that think it's such a big harry deal this new Mustang. It's a joke. It's nothing. It's going to be a scant 25 HP more than a regular GT, truly an insult to the name Boss given that the original Boss Mustang was considerably more powerful then a GT. Joe blow in his driveway can get 25 more horsepower just by buying the tuning software and switching to premium fuel. Big whoop. You can get it easily with a CAT back exhaust kit. This isn't a Boss, as I said all along, it's just another cheap ass package kit on a GT that you suckers will happily law down another 6 or 7 grand for.

If the guys over at the Mustang program were smart they'd be putting their efforts into making specialty packages of the V6 Mustang. Their Pony package option has done quite well. The Ford dealer here sells more of them then they do the regular V6. Ford stands to make a lot more money making specialty versions of the V6 that retail at about 23 to 25 thousand because they will sell a lot more of them then they will these 35 and 40 thousand dollar sticker kits.

Boss Mustang? Meh!! Larry Shinoda is probably turning over in his grave at the insult of calling this piece of shit a Boss Mustang.

Edited by BlackHorse