2009 Boss Mustang Prototype Spied?

Blue Oval Guide

(Dearborn, MI) StangsUnleashed.com - Captured in Dearborn, this Grabber Orange Mustang prototype has several features that could make it a potential future Mach1 or Boss model.

2009%20Boss%20Mustang%201.jpg

There are several striking features on this Mustang prototype that can be used on either a future Boss or a Mach-1 model.

The first item of interest is the Shelby GT-H style front grille with the Mustang running horse emblem offset to one side. Note that absense of any fog lamps and the use of a standard Mustang V6 front end? This would be consistent with rumors that the next-generation Boss Mustang would continue on the tradition of the 1969 model by not using any parts not essential to performance. Below the grille is a lower front chin spoiler, which harkens back to the 1969 Boss 302 Mustang.

One point of contention on this being a potential Boss Mustang, however, is the appearance of a non-functional hood-scoop. Non-functional hood-scoops were not used on the original 1969-1971 Boss Mustangs. They style of hood-scoop shown were factory on 1969-1970 Mach1 Mustangs and available on other models too. What is interesting about the stripes: If the were extended all the way back toward the cowl, they would closely mimic those originally found on 1970 Mach1 Mustangs.

2009%20Boss%20Mustang%202.jpg

From the rear, you'll notice the Michigan "Manufacturer Plate," which is of small consequence when the flat black, pedestal trunk mounted spolier stands right out. The spoiler, along with the flat black painted taillight panel are certainly Boss 302 trademarks.

You'll also notice that even though this Mustang uses a standard V6 body, it also has two rear exhaust pipes taken directely from the 2007 Shelby GT. The only question that we can't answer is what engine lies under the hood?

Another point of interest is the new Mustang wheels, which we have not yet seen before.

While we can only speculate as to what this new Mustang exactly is, Mustang enthusiasts can rejoice that something new for the Mustang is on the horizon. . .and just in time for the Camaro and Challenger. Let the specualation begin :happy feet:

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stickers and paint, do not a car make.

This looks like a SEMA model. Perhaps Ford is testing some aftermarket options for next year's production run.

How do you know it's just "stickers & paint"? Without looking under hood, that assertion is unwarranted.

Aren't the wheels the same as on the Marauder?

I spoke with Doug Gaffka about a potential Boss Mustang (2009/2010) at the New York Show. He said if a Boss came out it would have far more than just s flat black hood.

So, you can forget about a Boss with a simple paint and stripe package without the goods to back it up.

They, along with Shelby did the GT500 right and Ford will do the Boss right too.

Sorry Zanat.

Second thought, WOW! Those stripe decals look wonderfully similar to a car from the 60's! Even though this looks like every other mustang special limited SVT-Hertz-SHO-GT-Foose-Shelby-Saleen released over the past 2 years, maybe it has an extra 60 hp from the factory, or some really nifty rims and paint color which will warrant a $40-60K sale price, and maybe the hype will lead to one being shown off at some famous auction site soon.

Glad Ford is doing this, it's the one I have patiently been waiting for. It screams "bold moves."

That looks a lot like the California Edition stang that used to sit in back of Building 5 when I was still in the joint.

The going rumor was that the director took it home to impress his mistress... He got a promotion from what I hear...

Not sure what is planned for under the hood but if that's what the production model will look like I'm very disappointed. I sure hope they do more with the hood than what appears to be another fake hood scoop. I was hoping to see a buldge in the hood (03-04 Mach) with a real shaker hood scoop. Don't care for that grill.

Sorry Zanat.

Second thought, WOW! Those stripe decals look wonderfully similar to a car from the 60's! Even though this looks like every other mustang special limited SVT-Hertz-SHO-GT-Foose-Shelby-Saleen released over the past 2 years, maybe it has an extra 60 hp from the factory, or some really nifty rims and paint color which will warrant a $40-60K sale price, and maybe the hype will lead to one being shown off at some famous auction site soon.

Glad Ford is doing this, it's the one I have patiently been waiting for. It screams "bold moves."

Again...a MULE, a prototype, and you know that much about it?

Tell me...does it seem as if respiration and circulation become taxed with the effort of making such a definitive, knowing post? Vision go a little gray?

I wouldn't worry too much about this prototype of sorts. The Mustang is getting an all-new body for 2009 anyway, so a Boss-style sticker job on an old body shell doesn't really get my juices pumping. A rear-fender kickup, new engines (3.7L V6, 3.5TT, and new V8's), new interior, and IRS are on the plate. A Boss might be in the works to replace the defunct GT500.

I wouldn't worry too much about this prototype of sorts. The Mustang is getting an all-new body for 2009 anyway, so a Boss-style sticker job on an old body shell doesn't really get my juices pumping. A rear-fender kickup, new engines (3.7L V6, 3.5TT, and new V8's), new interior, and IRS are on the plate. A Boss might be in the works to replace the defunct GT500.

Who said the GT500 was being done away with?

[sarcasm

His dealer who also told him he could take a GT500 today for only 30,000 over sticker! :woot: You didn't hear that they were going to be extremely rare with only a one year cycle? :ohsnap:

[/sarcasm]

No, I didn't hear that, but "we" were told that the GT500 would run for 2 years. Maybe they were planning on 'Ol Shel retiring or dying when they announced the 2 year run. At any rate, the GT500 will soon be forgotten after the new Bullitt and Boss are released, right Robert?

I've seen em before, '03/'04 Mercury Marauder.

they are marauder wheels. my unit trainer at aai tells me its going to have 325 hp. exhuast, cold-air return, and maybe a rearend. i was alittle disapointed, but who knows. the story's always changing!

The first item of interest is the Shelby GT-H style front grille with the Mustang running horse emblem offset to one side.
:eek5: gasp!!!! Say it isn't so!! An offset running horse emblem? Why that's got to be worth at least another 4 to 5 grand over a GT right?

One point of contention on this being a potential Boss Mustang, however, is the appearance of a non-functional hood-scoop. Non-functional hood-scoops were not used on the original 1969-1971 Boss Mustangs

:ohsnap: Oh no!!! A non-functional hood scoop on a fuel injected car!!! That's never happened before!!!

The spoiler, along with the flat black painted taillight panel are certainly Boss 302 trademarks.
Yes of course trade marks, very important. The combination of the offset horse thingy along with an unpainted spoiler and taillight panel have to make this car an easy 35 to 38 grand Mustang right?

my unit trainer at aai tells me its going to have 325 hp.

:ohsnap: Why that's a huuuge amount of HP over the base 300 hp GT isn't it. Ok, I change my mind, this is easily a 40 grand Mustang right?

I've said it before and I'll say it again. You can't recapture that magic!!! It's a mistake to try. You can gussy up some modern day wannabe classic mustang to look like some old Boss Mustang but guess what guys, . . . it ain't a boss Mustang. It's just the latest shameless attempt by Ford to capitilize on a once great time in the American car culture history. You guys around here are really something sometimes. You'll slame NASCAR for being shamless corporate whore sellouts (which they are by the way) but you won't slame Ford for essentially doing something pretty similar with their own car. The muscle car era is dead and gone, let it go. This is just another cheesy ass version of a cheesy ass car. I wish Ford would put as much effort into making various version of the Fusion as they are this dumb ass Mustang. That would be a worth while venture.

Ok, flame away lol :extinguish:

Edited by BlackHorse

The muscle car era is dead and gone, let it go. This is just another cheesy ass version of a cheesy ass car. I wish Ford would put as much effort into making various version of the Fusion as they are this dumb ass Mustang. That would be a worth while venture.

Undoubtedly an unpopular opinion on a forum of this nature... but I am in complete agreement. It is not 1968. That was 40 years ago. Gas is over $3.00/gallon now and Mustangs don't cost $2,800 new any more.

Undoubtedly an unpopular opinion on a forum of this nature... but I am in complete agreement. It is not 1968. That was 40 years ago. Gas is over $3.00/gallon now and Mustangs don't cost $2,800 new any more.

It is interesting to note that today, both a gallon of gas and a Mustang are roughly 10X the 1968 prices.

It is interesting to note that today, both a gallon of gas and a Mustang are roughly 10X the 1968 prices.

Oh if only the comparison were so simple. Look if you can afford a 30 grand (overpriced) Mustang GT and the gas bill that comes along with it go ahead and get the thing if you want. But as far as saying 10X this and 10X that, it's just not a realistic comparison. In the 60's there were still far more stay at home Mom's then there were working Mom's because frankly families could still afford to have one bread winner. In the 60's your monthly budget didn't include things like $60 to $100 a month to watch TV, insurance premiums on both your home and auto did not take as much out of your income then as they do now, especially in states where it wasn't mandatory to have it. The cost of food to your monthly budget wasn't as high. In short, though things may be 10X as expensive now, salaries have not kept pace accordingly and you have a lot of things taking money out of your monthly income now that you didn't then.

This is why the muscle car era flourished as it did. In a time when there was no such thing as X-Box, the internet, computers, MP3's, and the myriad of other things we have in this day an age to occupy our time, the car was the thing that supplanted them. They were pound for pound more affordable to more people. They were the X-Box / Playstation of their day. Muscle cars gave a lot of young guys something to do with their time when they weren't working. They were affordable and fun. Now they aren't. They should be appreciated as a great part of bygone American pop culture. It's silly to try and recapture that magic. You can't live in the past.

If you really want to know what the modern day equivalent of the Mustang is (and here's the part that really gets gear heads mad at me) it's cars that aren't even being made by American car companies. The original concept of the Mustang was a compact car that was affordable and fun to drive. For that now you have to look at cars like the Mazda 3, the Civic, the Scion TC, the Rabbit, the Focus (especially the C1), and so on. Ironically, these are some of the same cars that today's young generation are tweaking and playing with, to pass the the time when they aren't working.

I wasn't on a soapbox Tom. Also if you want to make a simple observation, try making it also a correct one.

It is a correct one. Both are 10X more expensive. I found that interesting. I had no intent of making any other point than that as you incorrectly surmised from my post. YOU made it complicated by reading more into it than was actually intended.