6.4L Diesel with Afterburner option

I finally got close to a new super duty today, thats a damn fine lookin truck

How close? Burn off any hairs? :hysterical:

I agree that this is a mechanical problem being covered by a software update. Every manufacturer does it, and ford has certainly done it with some degree of success. I must be the only one here with speakers, can't anyone else hear that loud tapping? That is NOT normal for this engine and is probably another warning sign that something important is broken. For all we know, they could have abused the daylights out of that thing before that happened. I say give the truck a chance, it has one flaw so far and people are acting like ford is doomed. I've replaced a handful of toyota engines in the past month, that doesn't mean they're all time bombs. Just a typical case where one person puts a video online and now ford's reputation gets dragged through the ditch again.

Just my two cents.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How close? Burn off any hairs? :hysterical:

I agree that this is a mechanical problem being covered by a software update. Every manufacturer does it, and ford has certainly done it with some degree of success. I must be the only one here with speakers, can't anyone else hear that loud tapping? That is NOT normal for this engine and is probably another warning sign that something important is broken. For all we know, they could have abused the daylights out of that thing before that happened. I say give the truck a chance, it has one flaw so far and people are acting like ford is doomed. I've replaced a handful of toyota engines in the past month, that doesn't mean they're all time bombs. Just a typical case where one person puts a video online and now ford's reputation gets dragged through the ditch again.

Just my two cents.

This issue deals with the diesel particulate filter that is mandatory (per EPA) on all diesels built after Jan 1, 2007. If any fuel or antifreeze enters the diesel particulate filter during a regeneration phase (like from a cracked turbo or injector stuck open) , it could result in excessive temps. This is not unique to the International diesel, but all diesels built after the first of this year.

What the software upgrade does is flash the check engine light if it detects a fault and then powers down the engine if it senses excessive temps resulting from a stuck fuel injector or a cracked turbo.

One of the vehicles that had the problem had a cracked turbo from a driver who started in the vehicle in -30 degree temps and did not warm up the turbo before applying major boost, which cracked the turbo which in turn allowed antifreeze in the DPF.

What is the cause of the tailpipe issue?

-In rare instances, the diesel particulate filter can generate excessive temperatures that could result in flame at the tailpipe.

What causes the excessive temperatures in the diesel particulate filter?

-A build up of hydrocarbons within the filter. Under normal circumstances, the diesel particulate filter collects particulate matter from the exhaust and then safely burns it to clean the filter. A build up of hydrocarbons in the filter may cause higher temperatures than necessary for cleaning.

What is the source of the hydrocarbons and how do they reach the filter?

-Hydrocarbons are found in fluids such as engine coolant, engine oil and diesel fuel. Normally, these fluids do not reach the exhaust. However, in rare circumstances, a leak within the engine could cause these fluids to enter the exhaust system and reach the filter.

How does fuel or oil reach the exhaust system?

-Some possible examples are a fuel injector stuck open or a leaking turbo shaft seal.

Do a Google search for Duramax, Cummins and RV forums then search for within these sites for 6.4 PSD. The 6.4 is literally the biggest joke in the diesel pickup business right now with no thanks to the disaster of motor called the 6 liter.

You need to remember part of the joke on the 6.4 is the 6.o from inception had injectors problems, turbo problems and what turned into literally 100's of different ECM re-flashes. Luckily the trial lawyers never picked on the fact these reflashes made Ford's initial 6.0 advertising completely fraudulent such as 10% better fuel economy than the 7.3 and whatever they claimed about it being quieter. Not to mention these reflashes made the orginal tow/haul feature all but useless.

I actually owned a 5/03 6.0 (and 2 7.3's before) that was problem free but I'm in the minority and make no mistake the 6.0 has destroyed a market in which Ford owned not too mention Ford makes as much as $20K on the PSD's it still can manage to sell.

Now, the 6.0 has little credibility, the 6.4 had an embarrassing disaster of a launch and rumors are Ford is designing a diesel to be built in house for 2010. Tell me exactly how much credibility Ford has building an in house in a market where 3 major name brand diesel builders currently supply the Big 3 with diesel motors?

I'm still a Ford guy but if the 6.4 doesn't seal Ford's fate and they attempt to put a Ford diesel in the Super Duty they are done in the heavy duty pu market.

Edited by Automotive Paint