6.4L Diesel with Afterburner option

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, JD Power IQS surveys show Ford outpacing the rest of the domestics, and the imports when it comes to change in quality performance over the last 6 years.

That all but one of Ford's car lines are recommended by CR is something too.

Outpacing but still behind most of them? Tells you how much of a hole they are digging themselves out of.

As for CR, you complain about them all the time, so don't go start using them to support your arguments only when it's convenient to do so.

In my opinion I think they should either switch to Caterpillar engines, since they have used them in the bigger truck lines. Or finally give in and build there own engines, which is something that would separate Ford from all the other American truck manufacturers, since they all rely on other companies engines.

I don't know, some of the bubbas around here would pay extra for that feature.... ;)

Looks like a fine addition to the tailgating option package. No more siphoning the gas tank if you leave the lighter fluid at home. Plus it looks like a great warming station.

Is this part of Ford's 'blind spot warning system'? Only it warns anyone IN the blind spot to get out?

:)

2) Given that the latter 6.0L PSDs have been bulletproof--should Ford have rolled the clock back to 2003 in its dealings with Navistar? Or should they have dealt with Navistar on the basis of their more recent performance?

Bulletproof? :hysterical:

I've had turbo, bed plate, EGR, and software problems with mine. Not counting, steering and alignment issues.

My F-350 has been the most troublesome vehicle I've ever owned. :banghead: However, when it run right, it is also the best truck I've ever had.

Looks like a fine addition to the tailgating option package. No more siphoning the gas tank if you leave the lighter fluid at home. Plus it looks like a great warming station.

Is this part of Ford's 'blind spot warning system'? Only it warns anyone IN the blind spot to get out?

:)

hahahaha thats great...it will also be a hit among Nascar fans who tailgate...no need to bring the grills. Okay maybe that was stupid haha but just picture a bunch of guys wasted and grilling hamburgs from the exhaust :hysterical:

As for CR, you complain about them all the time, so don't go start using them to support your arguments only when it's convenient to do so.

I don't complain about CR's reliability reports, which are the key factor in CR's recommendations.

CR's subscriber survey results are sound: Their day-in-day-out comparison tests are crap.

Pot, meet kettle....

Since when do I parade myself around as a paragon of consumer oriented and objective product reviews?

Since when do I issue press releases declaring my judgment as to best and worst vehicles?

Since when do people have to pay me to read what I write?

See the difference?

I like the employee analogy. In this case, the employee should be fired, and another brought in. Ford should be building their own diesel in-house.

Agree.

A whole group should be fired and Ford should sue Navistar.

I'm sure Ford is the biggest joke among truck manufacturers.

Hasn't anybody learned by now to stay away from Ford's diesels? This is one arena Ford has struggled with significant quality problems.

The large majority of people never have a major problem. Just because you have one product with a problem does not mean you quit a company all together. Lets say your on a cruise and you have the same drink every day. One day you get a bad drink. Does that mean you should jump off the ship??? lol

Edited by suv_guy_19

A technical site that describes the issue:

http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/articles/article-07-01.php

What you are looking at is a 2008 model truck equipped with a diesel engine that has an exhaust aftertreatment system and the result of an obvious malfunction. All diesel engines built and certified for highway and off road use after January 1, 2007 are required to have an exhaust aftertreatment system to meet the requirements of tightening Federal emmissions standards. Apparently we are learning new things about these systems as we put them to the test on the streets. The related video clip shows one such lesson in action, however the DTS does not know the origin of the video therefore we do not know where, or when it was shot and what the root cause of this thermal event was.

The aftertreatment system uses a Diesel Particulate Filer, or DPF, which is designed to collect and incinerate diesel particulate matter that is produced by the combustion process in diesel engines. This process is known as “regeneration” and it is automatically performed under certain operating conditions to clean the DPF and reduce system backpressure caused by the collected diesel particulates. To burn the particilate matter, the exhaust temperature needs to be elevated to around 1100ºF. The 6.4L Power Stroke® engine achieves and regulates this heat by injecting small amounts of fuel during the exhaust stroke as it monitors the exhaust temperatures though the use of three temperature sensors located in the exhaust system. On a couple of rare occasions, a fuel injector or the turbo has failed, combined with the normal regeneration process and produced a flame. These types of failures allow unmetered fuel or uncontained engine oil to mix with the exhaust gasses and ignite if the exhaust temperature raises high enough.

-Ovaltine

Hasn't anybody learned by now to stay away from Ford's diesels? This is one arena Ford has struggled with significant quality problems.

Now you tell me... :hysterical:

I really thought that Ford had the issues fixed in the 6.0L with all of the changes they did to it in '05. I traded my '03 Dodge Ram 5.7L in for it. :finger:

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v36MCcRPRTc"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v36MCcRPRTc" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

they should have the flaming tailpipes be in the woodward cruise

But in the end, Ford is responsible for what goes into their product. The customer only sees Ford. They don't see the suppliers and they don't blame the suppliers. They blame Ford. It's up to Ford to make sure their suppliers' QC is up to snuff. There's no excuse for this blunder on such an important product, period.

The problem is not the engine it self,it is in the electronics. It takes about 15 minutes to reprogram each truck. But your right it should have been caught during all the test that the engineers do. I think thats the biggest problem the engineers. just my opinion,I have been at ford for 14 years and see it daily.They do not want to listen to the workers.

It is not electronics that are causing unburned diesel fuel and motor oil to end up in the particulate trap.

This is manifestly mechanical failure (Ford has specifically mentioned oil leaking through a blown turbo gasket or diesel fuel from an injector stuck open). The computer program prevents the particulate incineration cycle from completing if there is a risk of igniting unburned fuel/oil in the particulate trap. The engine then goes into limp-home mode and you have to take it to the dealer to get the REAL MECHANICAL problem fixed.

Don't pin this one on 'stupid engineers not listening to workers'.

Edited by RichardJensen

Proof once again that a product is NEVER thoroughly tested until it's in the hands of John Q. Public. :)

Unfortunately, John Q. also appears to be the last link in the "Chain" of Quality Control.And he has the Blue Oval on the grille and the payment book to prove it. :(

Proof once again that a product is NEVER thoroughly tested until it's in the hands of John Q. Public. :)

Unfortunately, John Q. also appears to be the last link in the "Chain" of Quality Control.And he has the Blue Oval on the grille and the payment book to prove it. :(

There are always some thing that QC will never catch before production. If that wasn't the case, there wouldn't be recalls on anything anymore. Let John Q. Public drive it and they'll find the problem soon enough. About all we can be thankful for in the case of the PSD is that it was caught very early. Imagine how much worse this would have been if it surfaced 2-3 years later after several hundred thousand of these things were on the roads.

It's still not GOOD, but it's not as BAD as it could have been.