Is it dangersous if the passenger seat doesn't lock?

I hit the brakes today and my passenger seat (back rest area) slammed forward....i guess the latch behind the seat is broken? so it doesn't hold the seat in place, is this extra dangerous for passengers or will the seatbelt prevent them from going forward (if i brake hard again). It's a 2000 v6 mustang.

On another note, it finally happened, after almost a lifetime of buying striclty Fords my dad called me up saying our next vehicle should be from another manufacturer. The F150 as well as my mustang have had quite a lot of quality issues (no problems yet with my sister's new Explorer), the warranties have covered & fixed the majority of these, but it is still a PITA.

and by quality issues i mean, for my mustang: carpet coming up, hard to put in 1st/reverse from a stop, road vibration in seats, windshield wipers starting for no reason, inside door plastic piece fell off, plastic clutch surrounding piece "lowered" about a half inch from connecting plastic, ac vents in upper dash break for no reason, squeaky shocks/struts (not really sure) & the list continues.........and no, it's not my fault, I take great care of my car.

Edited by JM

Definitely get the seat fixed. It may not seem serious, but they lock for a reason.

As for the quality glitches...sorry to hear. Only one I really can comment on though is the 1st-Reverse shift. I'm assuming it's a 5-speed. That's just the nature of those things. The TR3650, T5, T45, T56 all have the same issue no matter what car they are installed in from my experience. Believe it has something to do with how the reverse shaft is set up in the tranny (it's basically the same layout in all of those transmissions). Borg-Warner's explanation of it way back when was that it was designed to make the forward gear synchros work better while completely disengaging the reverse gearing or something along those lines. Probably BS, but you're certainly not the only one to have that issue in any cars that use those trannies.

Hope they're just little things and they get figured out under warranty!

That sounds dangerous -- the Mustang has a rear seat that slides forward, or is just a seat that hinges for rear passenger entry?

Are you sure that it was not just locked in the track? We had a Bronco II with a setup where the seat sat on a track to move forward for people to get in the back, if I remember correctly. If the seat wasn't locked back from its sliding position, it can move under braking. Hard braking may have made it move a lot more in your Stang.

Edited by Roadrunner

I haven't had a chance to open it up & look at it but the seat back is still pivoting forward/back when I hit the brakes. My girlfriend tested it out and her weight kept the seat back from moving & when I stomped the brake the seat belt kept it all from swinging forward (counter clockwise pivot action). Know what i said earlier about looking to other brands....well, we just bought another brand new Ford, even if my parents wanted to buy another make I don't think they could, they're just too used to the Ford brand. But me OTOH, I've got a sweet spot for the new STS, but I'll have to wait & see the MKS before making any decision.

• 2 weeks later...

Jeeze its a 6 year old car, the world has completely changed how they do cars in the past 4. Get it repaired like you would any other brand's issues. Check the lower 'foot lever' on the lower rear of the seatback to make sure it isn't getting stuck up. Do you actually think Hondas dont squeak and rattle and have interior trim parts loose or broken 6 years later?

Hell go look at a 7 year old caddy interior sometime.

I cant believe everyone who owns a Ford and has any repair thinks the company is done forever. All the used cars we have traded in wether MB, Jaguar, Honda, BMW, Toyota, Ford, or GM have all kinds of little shit things wrong with them if the owner hadn't fixed em before they got traded. A 6 year old VW is straight to wholesale 99.9% of the time, they are almost always unresellable. Magazines say they have the greatest interiors ever in thier classes. Its a car, shit brakes, fix it.