Details of the New Hurricane/Boss 6.2l V8

:hyper: Does anyone know the details of the new Ford 6.2l V8 gas engine?

I am asking for real info not wish list info???

I want to know the Bore Spacing on this new V8. It will determine the true growth potential and potential for later turbo/supercharging, thus ultimate horsepower!

I can guess, 115 to 116.5mm but this is only a guess. Does anyone really know out there??

Regards

Vince

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:hyper: Does anyone know the details of the new Ford 6.2l V8 gas engine?

I am asking for real info not wish list info???

I want to know the Bore Spacing on this new V8. It will determine the true growth potential and potential for later turbo/supercharging, thus ultimate horsepower!

I can guess, 115 to 116.5mm but this is only a guess. Does anyone really know out there??

Regards

Vince

I've heard 116mm a few times. A guy on another board actually saw the Boss block in person, he said it really does look just like a modular block that has been stretched, cross bolted mains, deep skirts, and has "The Boss is Back" cast into the valley.

I've heard 116mm a few times. A guy on another board actually saw the Boss block in person, he said it really does look just like a modular block that has been stretched, cross bolted mains, deep skirts, and has "The Boss is Back" cast into the valley.

Thank you for info. At 116mm, we could easily have a 7 liter engine with water around entire bore, Bore at 105.1mm leaves 10.9mm between bores or .428" which is great gasket area for future pressure charging!

If it looks alot like the 4.6/5.4, that would be fine. Probably a DOC head for Lincoln and a 3 valve head for the rest.

Let me know if you hear more news on the new engine??? I would appreciate it. 'By the way, the boss 302 looks like the old boss 302, not really new, more like the existing aftermarket blocks.

4.625" bore spacing? The old 429/460/514 big blocks

had 4.900" bore spacing. I would think that a block

that big should surely be able to displace 7 liters. One

would have to wonder why there has been so much

worry about it being able to hit 7 liters; like that was

the absolute limit. With a 4.625 bore spacing, the only

reason I can think of for this engine being displacement-

challenged would be if it has a really, really, short deck

height.

So this is sounding like a slightly downsized Boss 429,

hence the "boss is back" in the casting, canted valve

heads, semi-hemi chambers...

Remember though, the old 429 was good only in trucks

and cars that'd had their engine bays stretched and

chopped due to its size. Just like the modulars, 429's

were very w i d e engines. Sorta puts the kaboosh

on hoping for a monster like that showing up in a Mustang

or any other car.

So maybe Ford IS working on a new V8 for the Lincoln,

and other automotive platforms.

4.625" bore spacing? The old 429/460/514 big blocks

had 4.900" bore spacing. I would think that a block

that big should surely be able to displace 7 liters. One

would have to wonder why there has been so much

worry about it being able to hit 7 liters; like that was

the absolute limit. With a 4.625 bore spacing, the only

reason I can think of for this engine being displacement-

challenged would be if it has a really, really, short deck

height.

So this is sounding like a slightly downsized Boss 429,

hence the "boss is back" in the casting, canted valve

heads, semi-hemi chambers...

Remember though, the old 429 was good only in trucks

and cars that'd had their engine bays stretched and

chopped due to its size. Just like the modulars, 429's

were very w i d e engines. Sorta puts the kaboosh

on hoping for a monster like that showing up in a Mustang

or any other car.

So maybe Ford IS working on a new V8 for the Lincoln,

and other automotive platforms.

I think you are looking at this backwards. Besides simply overcoming the Mod Motor's displacement limitations, a problem due primarily to that engine's very small bore, it seems pretty clear that the new Boss V-8 is also intended to remedy the width and height problems that engine brings to the table to some extent, problems also indirectly promoted by the displacement solution employed to overcome that motor's very small bore. That solution is obviously found in the form od the Mod Motor's extremely long stroke in tall deck trim, longer than any previous gasoline-powered Ford V-8, which makes for an engine with a very tall deck to be sure. The Boss V-8 wont rely so heavily on stroke to create displacement with larger displacement versions possibly using a shorter stroke than the 5.4L Modular V-8 for that matter.

Put simply, given that much wider bore the Boss V-8 will no doubt employ, and the emphasis this motor seems to be placing on"fixing" what was wrong with the Mod Motor design, I'd be very surprised if even a 7.0L version would be any "taller" or "wider" than a 5.4L DOHC Mod Motor. In fact I would expect it to be narrower and shorter despite it's displacement advantage. And in rwd production vehicles an engine which seems likely to be slightly smaller than is the Mod Motor in these "problematic" areas I doubt fitment will be a problem...even in big inch trim.

Edited by jlsaylor

I said (see above) that it might very well

have a short deck, which is why 7 liters

might end up being a stretch for it, even

with the larger bores.

Yes, a shorter deck will fit it into more bays,

but it's still going to be a big engine. It'll

basically be a BBC with skirts as near as I

can tell so far.

It's still going to be a good-sized engine, and

I'm not trying to say there's any way around

that. Just stating the 'facts' or best-guesses

based on available 'information', such as it is.

with the larger bores.

can tell so far.

I get your point, but short decks aren't like bore limitations. If your initial block design isn't tall enough you can effectively make a block as tall as you need virtually on demand as I'm sure you realize. The problem with the Mod Motor was that this wasn't a realistic avenue for that motor given the 5.4L's ridiculously long arm.

And I don't disagree that it will be a large engine, in fact I agree wholeheartedly. But I also doubt it will be any larger than the current tall deck Mod Motor is in the dimensions which are most likely to be problematic (height and width) even in big inch trim, as I mention above. I expect length to grow considerably even with the likely implementation of some of the new 3.5L V-6's, and Volvo Inline-6's, tricks, but that shouldn;t prove a problem either.

Given the above I suppose I just don't see the fitment problems you fear given the fact that the ridiculously wide and tall 5.4L Mod Motor fits in most current rwd Ford products.

Edited by jlsaylor

The 68- Taunus models looked like teeny tiny Torino/Fairlane sedans.

The V-4 I'm not sold on, but the 45 degree V8 (from the Lincoln thread) is much more interesting. I'd like to know how a 45 degree 'V' and a 90 degree crank make for better balance than a 90 degree V & crank. Feel free to answer this question on that thread. Or on this thread. I'm not picky but some people --do-- get all worked up about stuff (even completely hypothetical stuff) getting off topic.

The 68- Taunus models looked like teeny tiny Torino/Fairlane sedans.

The V-4 I'm not sold on, but the 45 degree V8 (from the Lincoln thread) is much more interesting. I'd like to know how a 45 degree 'V' and a 90 degree crank make for better balance than a 90 degree V & crank. Feel free to answer this question on that thread. Or on this thread. I'm not picky but some people --do-- get all worked up about stuff (even completely hypothetical stuff) getting off topic.

Yeah, I'm familiar with the Taunus and the very, very compromised 60-degree V-6 residing under it's hood. I understand why they chose a 60-degree V-6 for the basis of this motor (my guess is that it was largely due to it being produced locally, or at least on the same continent, and the benefits that could provide) but it still doesn't make it any less of a bad idea. 60-degrees and four cylinders just aren't going to work well together without a lot of "extra" help to bring the balance back around.

And I'll go into greater detail on the 45-degree V-8 in the other thread.

Edited by jlsaylor

Yeah, I'm familiar with the Taunus and the very, very compromised 60-degree V-6 residing under it's hood. I understand why they chose a 60-degree V-6 for the basis of this motor (my guess is that it was largely due to it being produced locally, or at least on the same continent, and the benefits that could provide) but it still doesn't make it any less of a bad idea. 60-degrees and four cylinders just aren't going to work well together without a lot of "extra" help to bring the balance back around.

And I'll go into greater detail on the 45-degree V-8 in the other thread.

Where is the other thread I would be interested in reading what you have to say???

Where is the other thread I would be interested in reading what you have to say???

Wow, I'm not used to people actually paying attention to the ideas I post. :drop:

It's coming, and actually I'm going to make a new thread about the subject since both of the existing threads would be taken well off topic on topic were I to go into any detail. Should be ready in a couple of days.

Given posts 1&2 bore spacing of 116mm or so, that would mean approx 4.25 bore?

Wow, a 4.25 bore would be nice, just what they need after the small bore mods to make some real power..

I wonder if that means the rumors are true that they will be dual plug for emissions with that big bore?

I'm dying to see what this thing looks like, hopefully it's got a good intake manifold design as I was never impressed with the mod motors pretzel looking intakes. The only good ones in my opinion were the 2000 Cobra R intake (the best) and the 05+ GT barrel style equal length and straight runner intake.

If anybody has a pic they could send it to me in a pm, I promise I won't share it... :angel:

Given posts 1&2 bore spacing of 116mm or so, that would mean approx 4.25 bore?

Well that might be pushing it. The Old Fe's had a bore spacing 4.63" with a maximum bore of 4.23.

The New Boss (if it is right ) will Have bore spacing of 4.56" (116mm) .007" less than the FE's so one could safely say that the maximum bore would be around .007" smaller than the max bore of the FE's Now casting tech is way better than 40 years ago so 4.25" may not be outta the question. But that does not leave alot of meat in the cylinder walls.

And they would have to siamesed

The new boss should be close to same dimentions of the the old FE if it will have around a 4" stroke.

7 liters is not outta the question as the old 428 was a 4.13 bore by 3.98 stoke engine. actually a 426.54 CUI engine.

give the 4.13 bore a 4" stroke and you got a 428.68 CUI engine. A 429 CUI motor.

A 4" stroke will more than likly be the max stroke on the block.

Or alternativly give the 4.13 Bore motor a 3.5" stroke and you get 375.1 cui or 6.1468L basically 6.2L

There are many combo's we can play with but more than likly the max bore will not be much over 4.10"

Until we know the max stroke of the engine it is all going to be guessing games.

If the motor can handle a 4" stroke (even if it requires up decking) then 7 liters is doable.

I bet eventiually we will see a 7 liter 429 CUI engine as the top engine.

Hmm a Boss 429 now there is a flash back

Matthew

Edited by matthewq4b

Well that might be pushing it. The Old Fe's had a bore spacing 4.63" with a maximum bore of 4.23.

The New Boss (if it is right ) will Have bore spacing of 4.56" (116mm) .007" less than the FE's so one could safely say that the maximum bore would be around .007" smaller than the max bore of the FE's Now casting tech is way better than 40 years ago so 4.25" may not be outta the question. But that does not leave alot of meat in the cylinder walls.

And they would have to siamesed

The new boss should be close to same dimentions of the the old FE if it will have around a 4" stroke.

7 liters is not outta the question as the old 428 was a 4.13 bore by 3.98 stoke engine. actually a 426.54 CUI engine.

give the 4.13 bore a 4" stroke and you got a 428.68 CUI engine. A 429 CUI motor.

A 4" stroke will more than likly be the max stroke on the block.

Or alternativly give the 4.13 Bore motor a 3.5" stroke and you get 375.1 cui or 6.1468L basically 6.2L

There are many combo's we can play with but more than likly the max bore will not be much over 4.10"

Until we know the max stroke of the engine it is all going to be guessing games.

If the motor can handle a 4" stroke (even if it requires up decking) then 7 liters is doable.

I bet eventiually we will see a 7 liter 429 CUI engine as the top engine.

Hmm a Boss 429 now there is a flash back

Matthew

Drooling at the thought of a modern all aluminum, direct injected, 4V, 429 with variable valve timing on both cams... :drool:

I wonder what kind of power something like that would make? Sure would be an incredible engine for a '10-'11 Shelby GT500 KR.

Or how about that motor with a blower?

I wonder if there are anyplans to make 3 or 4 valve versions of the Hurricane? The 6.2 with a blower would make a nice Lightning powerplant, that could make 600 horsepower easily..

Drooling at the thought of a modern all aluminum, direct injected, 4V, 429 with variable valve timing on both cams... :drool:

I wonder what kind of power something like that would make? Sure would be an incredible engine for a '10-'11 Shelby GT500 KR.

Or how about that motor with a blower?

I wonder if there are anyplans to make 3 or 4 valve versions of the Hurricane? The 6.2 with a blower would make a nice Lightning powerplant, that could make 600 horsepower easily..

+1 Blueblood and I like matthew's logic. Btw, 4.250 bore is fairly regularly run on prepped 427/8FEs but a production motor might be more conservative.

But what a perfect size ;-)

Just thinking out loud, using similar tech to the 3.5L V6 and relative output, a 6.2L could conceivably hit 500HP and meet PZEV emissions --- the best of both worlds? And forced induction is always an option. At SEMA, Ford showed a 1300lb street mini-roadster (looked a bit like a sand-rail for the street. It sported a turbo'd 3.5LV6 at 500HP... tho not a production motor, scaling that to the 6.2 yields 800+HP

Pretty impressive -- and probably rather tractable too, I'd bet ;-)

Edited by 68fastback

with the larger bores.

can tell so far.

[/quote

Edited by Blue II