200X SVT Lightning Mule Pic?

The regular cab comes with a window behind the drivers door? :shrug:

When did they start doing that? I guess it's been awhile since I've actually seen a standard cab truck.

With the redesign in 2004. It's referred to as the "access cab", a small door that provides access to extra storage behind the seats. The pic could very well be a SVT F-150 mule. I still believe Ford will slap the Shelby name on the next SVT truck.

The current bodystyle is just too blocky IMHO to make for a good-looking sport truck. The headlights, front end, bed rail height...just not a sporty profile. That's what I like about Dodge. The curvaceousness of the sides of the truck make it look good for work or play. Likewise, the variation in the sheetmetal makes the last Lightning look good too. The previous HD while a bit more slab-sided than the Lightning or Ram, looked a lot sharper than the current Harley F-150.

Aside from the 4x4 Lariats with the chrome trim, I really don't care for the current F-150s that much.

PN96 was the last model F-150. P221 is the current F-150 codename. P415 is the next F-150 designation. He's basically saying he hopes the next Lightning is built on the next generation F-150.

Which would make sense if they plan on using the IRS from the Expedition like they showed in the last Lightning concept.

If they cast the 6.8L V-10 block in aluminum and gave the 3V heads VCT, no one would complain about the engine one bit in a lightning. It'd be reasonably light, wouldn't require exotic amounts of boost, and would definitely be smooth. With mild boost, it would be easy to match or beet the power numbers from the now defunct Dodge Ram SRT-10.

However, I have my feelings that the next sport truck from Ford won't be F-series based. I'm starting to lean more and more on the idea that they are going to either revisit the adrenalin, or, they're gonna do an extended cab ranger. Why? Gas Prices. Simply put, one of the main detractors of the ram SRT-10 was the fact that it had a rough time making double digit fuel economy in the city.

A ranger SVT could be easily done with the installation of the 3V 4.6L with a smallish centrifigal supercharger. It would be easy to get almost 400 hp and 400 lbs of torque with only moderate effort in a reliable fashion. It would definitely be the fastest truck out there by a mile. It might be enough to revitalize the brand a bit to make it last until the replacement arrives. Make that coindice with the replacement of the 4.0L cologne v6 with the duratec 35 and issue a new "sport" edition with that 3.5L and a good 5AT or 6MT and it'll get a lot of attention for a few years.

The regular cab comes with a window behind the drivers door? :shrug:

When did they start doing that? I guess it's been awhile since I've actually seen a standard cab truck.

That's a "standard" F150.....Not all trucks are created equal

The "Truth about Trucks"!!

If they cast the 6.8L V-10 block in aluminum and gave the 3V heads VCT, no one would complain about the engine one bit in a lightning. It'd be reasonably light, wouldn't require exotic amounts of boost, and would definitely be smooth. With mild boost, it would be easy to match or beet the power numbers from the now defunct Dodge Ram SRT-10.

However, I have my feelings that the next sport truck from Ford won't be F-series based. I'm starting to lean more and more on the idea that they are going to either revisit the adrenalin, or, they're gonna do an extended cab ranger. Why? Gas Prices. Simply put, one of the main detractors of the ram SRT-10 was the fact that it had a rough time making double digit fuel economy in the city.

A ranger SVT could be easily done with the installation of the 3V 4.6L with a smallish centrifigal supercharger. It would be easy to get almost 400 hp and 400 lbs of torque with only moderate effort in a reliable fashion. It would definitely be the fastest truck out there by a mile. It might be enough to revitalize the brand a bit to make it last until the replacement arrives. Make that coindice with the replacement of the 4.0L cologne v6 with the duratec 35 and issue a new "sport" edition with that 3.5L and a good 5AT or 6MT and it'll get a lot of attention for a few years.

Remember the SVT Lightning Bolt Ranger prototype? That was an awsome little piece that should have made production.

The '09 F-150 is said to be losing that "Access Cab" door according to a customer of mine that has been working on the '09 truck in Detroit.

This could very well be a test mule that's just using the available platform. SVT is still saying that they have a truck do to be introduced in the not so distant future.

I thought I read some speculation several months ago that one of the reasons SVT did not want to build a Lightning based on the current F150 was because they knew the next gen was due out fairly soon and they did not want to waste resources on a soon to be outdated chassis.

I personally would have bought the Adrenalin but would have little use for a "two-seat" Lightning. Otherwise I would have bought a leftover 04 Lightning. I came real close but common sense prevailed. At least one of my vehicles has to be something I can actually use. :P

I can't believe they walked away from the Adrenalin. Talk about right size, real utility, something tha would be useful as well as fast.

I can't believe they walked away from the Adrenalin. Talk about right size, real utility, something tha would be useful as well as fast.

I see that as a sadly dropped ball.

I think the Adrenalin is actually Ford's best bet for a performance truck. Due to the F-150's weight, it will take considerable power to just get back to where they were at with the previous Lightning. Plus, the 2 seater scheme isn't for everyone. Until Ford has a more efficient means to extract better mileage with large V8 or V10, they should stick with a smaller truck. I'd also bet that they could charge less for the Sport Trac Adrenalin than a F-150 Lightning.

Plus, the 2 seater scheme isn't for everyone.

Just want to make clear that the last Gen Lightning was a 3 seater and 3 seats could also be had in 94-95 Lightning. The Prototype Gen 3 was a 2 seater, but most protos don't make it exactly to production, although it was cool as hell.

I sold my Gen 2 because the lack of seating. I should have bought a HD....hindsite....

Could that be a pic of the rumored FX2? Kind of a 2-wheel drive version of the FX4. No real performance upgrades. Just handling and appearance stuff. Should scare the bejesus out of SRT-10 owners. :rolleyes:

there are already pictures of the FX2, it doesnt look anything like this.

Hello Everyone,

As A current lightning owner I couldn't help but chime in here.....You see the rims actually they are in the Ford performance parts catalogue...as "2004-2005 F-150 LIGHTNING WHEEL" Now the awesome part is that that particular wheel can only bolt onto AWD trucks :happy feet: Sooooooo basically if this is a powertrain mule then that mens it will be an AWD Lightning :bandance: :bandance: :bandance:

M-1007-L2010-a.jpg

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_...rtKeyField=8870

Edited by Dubbedinenglish

Just want to make clear that the last Gen Lightning was a 3 seater and 3 seats could also be had in 94-95 Lightning. The Prototype Gen 3 was a 2 seater, but most protos don't make it exactly to production, although it was cool as hell.

I sold my Gen 2 because the lack of seating. I should have bought a HD....hindsite....

I don't consider the 'hump' a 3rd seat. :D That's like calling a Crown Vic a 6 passenger because there's a seat belt in the middle of the front seat. Maybe it is for the record, but no rational thinking human will want to ride there for very long.

I don't consider the 'hump' a 3rd seat.
I own a 93 lightning and installed a 94-95 center seat. The hump is better than nothing.

I had a 2001 HD truck. 4 Captains chairs was comfy but there where a lot of times I wish I had the counsel/jump seat in back.