Ranger future.............

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not really, the Tacoma already owns this shrinking market. They sold 100K of them this past year, the next closest was the ranger at 50K....

When you have a market abandoned by the US auto makers and only one foreign manufacturer sort of caring, there is more than enough room for another competitor.

Not really, the Tacoma already owns this shrinking market. They sold 100K of them this past year, the next closest was the ranger at 50K....

Tacoma is a midsize, not a compact like the Ranger. You're right about the market shrinking, though. With Full-size prices so low (relatively speaking) right now, and mid-size prices pressed down because of it, most people are going to walk right past compacts unless the price is silly-low. Hard to do an all-new Compact pickup profitably at the prices people are willing to pay.

PickupTrucks.com was insisting recently that F-100 was quietly put back on the road to production and we'll find out early 2010. I'm skeptical since nobody else has picked this up, but that's the most recent anything I've heard about it.

It's too bad. I really wish they had a proper 4-door Ranger with a 6-ft bed. The SportTrac bed is just too small for my needs. I guess there's just no market (or no profit in what market there is)

The average Joe Homeowner (like me) will just have to go Nissan or Toyota if he wants a new and smaller, family-friendly truck.

No offense to those who have Rangers, but we have one while our Explorer is in the shop for a front differential problem...I don't really see why anyone would ever own one. It has no room for anything. I think my car can probably carry more.

It's quite a car that can carry a washer/dryer, refrigerator, or any number of a host of items from the garden section.

Edited by RangerM

It's too bad. I really wish they had a proper 4-door Ranger with a 6-ft bed.

Yes, I think that then it might be useful.

I'm thinking a crew cab Ranger with a 6' box would be a bit large (in length for sure) to be calling it a Ranger,might look like a lowered F150?

Tacoma is a midsize, not a compact like the Ranger. You're right about the market shrinking, though. With Full-size prices so low (relatively speaking) right now, and mid-size prices pressed down because of it, most people are going to walk right past compacts unless the price is silly-low. Hard to do an all-new Compact pickup profitably at the prices people are willing to pay.

PickupTrucks.com was insisting recently that F-100 was quietly put back on the road to production and we'll find out early 2010. I'm skeptical since nobody else has picked this up, but that's the most recent anything I've heard about it.

I would think that if there is to be an F-100, it would be introduced sometime during this auto show season or no later than 2010-11 auto show season. What does anyone else think? Maybe Ford feels an Ecoboost F-150 will get the mileage of a smaller pickup and so it is not needed. I don't know. But there does seem to be a market for a smaller pickup with a smaller footprint, especially with new CAFE rules coming shortly. Seems to me Ford is going to have to make up their minds shortly, or suffer the consequences if they read the market wrong. I hate to see Ford abandon the smaller pickup market just when new CAFE rules are coming and many people want fuel efficient vehicles.

Looks to me like the present generation Tacoma is as big as the previous generation Tundra.

It's dumb not being in this market. I think Ford is out of this market for budget reasons. Once they start making a good profit they should develop a product fast.

What is the hardest part of developing a new ranger. A using a body of frame design greatly simplifies design. If they use old technology for the frame and body, the vehicle can still be competitive. It would just be a little heavy.

Where technology counts is in the engine and transmission. They have this in the Asian Ranger. What is needed in the US is a new body and interior. They also have this in the Asian Ranger. Bringing the Asian Ranger to the US would justify the cost to develop or buy a good small 6-speed automatic, develop a RWD 2.5L NA and 2.0L EB engine. Add Electric power steering, Sync and other modern electronics for the Ranger.

No offense to those who have Rangers, but we have one while our Explorer is in the shop for a front differential problem...I don't really see why anyone would ever own one. It has no room for anything. I think my car can probably carry more.

Its a fair question.

I like my Ranger because It's normally only me in the truck. It's rare that I've ever had to carry more than two people in it. The times that I did carry more than two people, person number 3 was a 4 year old that fit fine in the jump seats and thought it was 'cool'.

I have a tonneau cover on mine that allows me to carry any larger boxes or suitcases in the bed. I can fit a large duffel bag behind the seats without a problem, and ive gotten quite a bit more behind there than that. I frequently toss my travel bags behind the seats when i travel.

Fuel milage is reasonable for the truck. Its far from great, but its reasonable. In fact, its a big step up from anything else that ive owned. (not hard to do if you read my sig and see what ive owned)

Im an unmarried male, no kids, and i prmarily use my truck as a commuter to go to and from work. I also use it for hauling cool car stuff when i need to. Several engines have been in the back of my Rangers, and when i wash the truck up, its spiffy enough to take a girl out without offending her. It rides smooth enough for me as well. It still is a truck at heart though and does not like bumps all that much but it comes with the territory.

Basically, thats why i own one.

Those wanting an I-4 Ranger are buying them but those wanting a V6 are moving

over to the entry level F150, it's close on price and appears better value.

All they have to do is work out a way to migrate the I-4 buyers.

Edited by jpd80

A 3.7 F-150 has an edge in FE over the current 4.0 Ranger.

That's impressive considering how heavy the F150 is compared to the Ranger. Of course, the 4.0 is pretty old and outdated.

Anyone want a next gen Explorer with a pick up box?

New Sport-Trac? Or are they going to call it something different?