Ford has an opportunity with Mercury

So with Volvo out of the picture, I hoper Ford relaunches Mercury products

as a viable alternative to those slow selling Volvos......

Selling in how many markets? With how many bespoke models? Or are you thinking basically rebadged Ford's in the US only for as long as Ford can get away with it?

Ford and Mercury/Lincoln product lines and dealerships are already established in North America.

Ford has a far better chance of making a profit out of value adding products like Mercury/Lincoln

than anything out of high over head Volvo, Jaguar and Land Rover for that matter.

Jac Nasser's PAG is gone, I couldn't care less what happens to any of them.

i see no point in mercury...it should go to the annals of history...rebadged fords are all they are with a few more options added in....i think monies should be directed at lincoln and if you do not agree with ending mercury just skelonize the division for lincoln until things radically improve...

Thanks for posting this, twintornados icon14.gif & swipe ;)

right-sizing - luxury alternatives - heck MANY kinds of alternatives

are all a perfect fit for Merc

- hope Fomoco knows this

- HOPE we don't have to wait another 12 months to HEAR/SEE SOMETHING!!!!!

Global-Mercury can start with

mercurycapri-1.jpg

Edited by 2b2

Mercury is one of those brands Ford has let fall into disrepair but now that PAG and Mazda are gone,

Ford can develop value adding products for Mercury starting next year with Gen III Focus products

and further on Fusion/Mondeo twins. A lot of Mercury's ills stem from lack of marketing and lack of

models to actually sell, Euro Ford variants could allow that diversity and avoid direct competition.

I would like to see them try some practical and quirky models to make them different to Ford,

maybe a cabriolet Focus, Ka, Mondeo, C-max and Kuga to name a few. Heck throw in a Falcon.

Edited by jpd80

i see no point in mercury...it should go to the annals of history...rebadged fords are all they are with a few more options added in....i think monies should be directed at lincoln and if you do not agree with ending mercury just skelonize the division for lincoln until things radically improve...

A Mercury sale is a sale for Ford. You cannot assume someone who would buy a Mercury would buy a Ford if Mercury didn't exist, after all, someone who buys a Mariner or a Milan has to be aware of the Ford counterpart and have made the decision to purchase the Mercury instead.

Edited by sullynd

A Mercury sale is a sale for Ford. You cannot assume someone who would buy a Mercury would buy a Ford if Mercury didn't exist, after all, someone who buys a Mariner or a Milan has to be aware of the Ford counterpart and have made the decision to purchase the Mercury instead.

Exactly, 90% of their 83K sales YTD comes from three vehicles, Grand Marquis, Milan and Mariner.

all of those vehicles sold at higher price points than their Ford originator vehicles.

Edited by jpd80

Throughout Mercury's history the brand has done better when it has been highly differentiated from Ford and worse when its offerings have been very thinly disguised Fords. If Mercury is to continue and succeed it needs to be more than a grille, badge and taillight job.

+1

Now that Volvo is gone, Lincoln can finally move upmarket, and hopefully get its own RWD/AWD platform for its next generation a la Infiniti. Then Mercury can move up also and use common platforms with Ford to help amortize the costs.

If you go to ford.com and click through to other countries, you would be surprised at how many countries Lincoln and Mercury are already sold in, sometimes right next to FoE models.

Originally, Mercury was a long wheelbase Ford, an upscale from the basic-value Ford.

Well, maybe Ford cannot justify what it costs to make a vehicle that fits between the Taurus and the MKS, that doesn't look like a Taurus with a Mercury grille.

The US dollar and the cost of federalizing EU-made vehicles probably makes their importation impossible.

IMHO, the Escape should be replaced by something that looks like a new Escape, and the Kuga should be a Mercury, with a Mercury grille with a full-load Lincoln version, with a Lincoln grille.

But like there's VW's and A-4's, there should be a Mercury version of the next Focus, IMHO — if Ford can afford a separate roofline to minimize the badge-engineering look.

Originally, Mercury was a long wheelbase Ford, an upscale from the basic-value Ford.

Well, maybe Ford cannot justify what it costs to make a vehicle that fits between the Taurus and the MKS, that doesn't look like a Taurus with a Mercury grille.

The US dollar and the cost of federalizing EU-made vehicles probably makes their importation impossible.

IMHO, the Escape should be replaced by something that looks like a new Escape, and the Kuga should be a Mercury, with a Mercury grille with a full-load Lincoln version, with a Lincoln grille.

But like there's VW's and A-4's, there should be a Mercury version of the next Focus, IMHO — if Ford can afford a separate roofline to minimize the badge-engineering look.

Platform sharing is fine as long as the Ford and Mercury don't share sheetmetal. Think Flex/MKT. There is no reason the next generation of FOE cars should not be designed with US Sales in mind from the start. All of the other major european manufacturers (Audi, BMW, Benz, VW, Porsche, Volvo) manage to design their cars to pass both US and EU regs. FOE can do the same going forward. That would substantially reduce the import costs.

I agree that the Kuga should be a Mercury but with a different name. Cougar should be saved for the future and Kuga is just too close.

Edited by Mark B. Morrow

Throughout Mercury's history the brand has done better when it has been highly differentiated from Ford and worse when its offerings have been very thinly disguised Fords. If Mercury is to continue and succeed it needs to be more than a grille, badge and taillight job.

But in many ways, that's exactly what the Sable was, and the Sable did extremely well for a decade.

I was behind a 06-09ish Mercury Milan for a coupla miles today. I couldn't help but notice how attractive the car seemed. It seemed rather svelte yet sporty.... without having to be 'blinged' up. I pictured that kind of style looking at home in the French Riveria.... cool and competant without gawdiness.

Doesn't it seem, at least for people not familiar with Mercury's history, that Mercury is in dire need of image/marketing to a new generation of buyers? That Milan seemed like a perfect 'wife' car... stylish without going overboard. Kinda like a lower priced Lincoln. What ever happened to the Mercury lady doing those spokesperson ads?

Somehow, that Milan's style seemed smart without the need for extraneous badging. Kinda like:

2009 Mercury Milan= Cindy Crawford.

2005 Cadillac Escalade= Ru Paul.

Both use makeup, but one just seems prettier.

If Ford means Bold, Solid Value & Lincoln defines American Power & Elegance, Would Mercury mean Understated Elegance & Agility?

Edited by joihan777

I love that black Comet idea ! That looks pretty sexy. Mercury is going to be in big trouble if Ford doesn't start getting their act together. I can't see how they can survive with just the Milan and Mariner after 2010? How sad are those dealerships going to look! ? COME ON FORD...DO SOMETHING. The dealerships around me are basically giving Mercury's away at this point. They have 1 2009 Mountaineer that has been sitting on the lot for months with approx. $9,000 in rebates (including the lease loyalty rebate)....and no one is buying. It is a damn joke at this point.

I completely agree with this idea.

Escape retains it's truck-y look, Kuga becomes Mariner, and Lincoln gets a mini MKT.