Ka and Ranger Replacement not Coming to U.S.

From today's Automotive News, article by Amy Wilson:

DETROIT -- Ford Motor Co. will not sell the Ford Ka minicar or the global Ford Ranger pickup in the United States, CEO Alan Mulally says.

Mulally previously had said both vehicles were under consideration for sale here. But the Ka, a minicar developed with Fiat S.p.A., has been deemed too small for American tastes. The Ka is smaller than the subcompact Ford Fiesta, which will go on sale in the United States early next year.

"Our view is that Fiesta is about the smallest vehicle that we think will be a real success in the United States," Mulally told Automotive News.

"The global Ranger is a new compact pickup, different from the aging Ranger currently sold here. It was developed in Australia for worldwide markets.

Production of the U.S. Ranger is scheduled to end in 2011. Ford has been looking for options to fill the compact pickup segment.

Last year, Ford shelved a lightweight version of the F-150. It is unclear what product, if any, will fill the current U.S. Ranger's spot."

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wow.

Unless Ford has renewed their plans for the F-100, resurrected the 4.4L diesel, or expects to get phenomenal fuel economy from a 3.5L-Ecoboost-powered F-150, this seems like a huge mistake.

I can't believe there isn't a market for a well-designed truly compact pickup here in the US.

Peter Brown

and Jason Stein and Amy Wilson

Automotive News

November 9, 2009 - 12:01 am ET

Do you see a rebound in the pickup segment?

It's already rebounded. Even though fuel prices are up, there was still a tremendous market for pickups because 50 percent are used for work. We really learned a great lesson: No matter what the size vehicle, the owner wants a vehicle that works for their life, but they also want it to be fuel-efficient. But we'll be trying to give them that kind of capability in a little bit smaller, more efficient vehicle.

Is the "little bit smaller, more efficient vehicle" the F-100?

This is a case of so near yet so far.

In a broad scale product like T6 it is tempting to try to include as many markets as possible,

the parameters and scope for the T6 truck project were set in place in 2006 and at that time

the perceived needs for Ford North America was for a completely different (larger) truck.

The realities of how different the US market is quickly puts a nail in that (T6) coffin.

It is possible that the T6 may be re worked for Ford NA like some of the European vehicles

but at this time diesels dominate the line up and the lack of a V6 option is an impediment.

Edited by jpd80

I'm going to step out on a limb here, but, does anyone think that its possible that Ford could produce a light pickup based on the underlying fundamentals of the Transit Connect (this or the next generation)? I know loosing the cargo box would be a big thing to overcome in engineering, but, if they can manage it with perhaps a small EB engine under the hood, it could be "just the thing" for a lot of people.

It'll be interesting to say the least without the ranger, but, given how the ranger has been such a non-factor in the market for so long, I can see it not being really missed.

Wow.

Unless Ford has renewed their plans for the F-100, resurrected the 4.4L diesel, or expects to get phenomenal fuel economy from a 3.5L-Ecoboost-powered F-150, this seems like a huge mistake.

I can't believe there isn't a market for a well-designed truly compact pickup here in the US.

I just recently bought a barebone Ranger XL. The prime reason for going for a ranger was it was a good cheap ford and it got decent mileage. At 15.5k and around 24 mpg it has met both those needs. But if I was going to spend any money on a truck it wouldn't be on a ranger. The rangers with a 6 in them get crappy mileage and cost roughly the same as an f150 xl. I really can't see why someone would spend 21k on a ranger when you could get an f150 for that kind of money. 15k yes, 21k just can't see it.

Wow is that a disappointment. I was really looking forward to seeing what they could put together in a new Ranger. I need a truck, but the F150 is a bit too large. I hope there is more to the story. Like the existence of an F100 or something. If gas does indeed climb again, not having a smaller and more fuel efficient truck will be a big mistake.

I just recently bought a barebone Ranger XL. The prime reason for going for a ranger was it was a good cheap ford and it got decent mileage. At 15.5k and around 24 mpg it has met both those needs. But if I was going to spend any money on a truck it wouldn't be on a ranger. The rangers with a 6 in them get crappy mileage and cost roughly the same as an f150 xl. I really can't see why someone would spend 21k on a ranger when you could get an f150 for that kind of money. 15k yes, 21k just can't see it.

As someone else that bought a Ranger recently, I can assure you that even though the sticker says 22K, I got it for 16K. It wasnt a bare bones model either.

Im disappointed to hear this news as well. I was looking forward to a new small pickup thats not as big as the competition. The Tacoma is massive in most trims, and so is the rest of the compeitition. I like the size of my Ranger, and i would understand some growth, but to place it just a notch below the F150 sounds like its gonna be huge too.

As someone else that bought a Ranger recently, I can assure you that even though the sticker says 22K, I got it for 16K. It wasnt a bare bones model either.

Thus part of the reason why Ford isn't going to do it...they can get more profit out of say a F-100 shared with the F-150 platform instead of giving away Rangers.

Short of the I4 in the Ranger, the MPG in the Ranger isn't anything worth writing home about. Most I4 Rangers are prob stripper models that can be filled in by the TC and you'll have more room for crap for it, just not the truck mentality that non-fleet buyers want. How many Rangers have really been sold since gas has gone crazy? The F-150 still outsells it.

I know several people who own rangers, all love them. They all concede the milage isn't great but the price was low, works excellent and from the woman who drives a honda,"it rides so nice".

They are everywhere here and outsell everything else at least 2-3:1. tacoma's,dakota'setc are few and far between. If it's not a ranger then the next most common is mazda's.

Not sure, I'd guess colorado's are 3rd.

Doesn't anyone want a D4 truck?

I could point you to to a couple of black notebooks (unless someone pitched them) where it was investigated a couple of times 6-7 years ago; most of the people who worked on it are gone.

Basically, think Ridgeline except hopefully done better. The basic concept is the same; unibody FWD/AWD pickup with stowage under the bed (or perhaps a good place for batteries).

The big issue at the time was the ability to carve out a niche with this product given Ford's success with the F-series.