1950's Ford Air Conditioning

nshvlcat

I hope someone can answer this question. In what year did Ford begin to air condition their cars? I know that Lincolns were air conditioned in 1955 using vents in the headliner (same as Cadillac).

I vaguly remember as a child seeing a 1956 Ford Fairlane with AC. I seem to recall two large round registers in the top of the instrument panel on either side of the radio speaker.

Were any Fords or Mercurys air conditioned prior to 1956? I know by 1959 AC was slung under the dash and this method was used until 1964. In 1965, the AC was integrated into the dash.

Can't find anything on Ford. If you search old Ford Parts, I can find Air Conditioner stuff as far back as 1957. No farther. I'm sure you've seen the Wikipedia article:

Automobile air conditioners

Air conditioner systems are designed to allow the driver and or passengers to feel more comfortable during uncomfortably warm humid or hot trips in a vehicle. Cars in hot climates often are fitted with air conditioning. There has been much debate and discussion on what the usage of an air conditioner does to the fuel efficiency of a vehicle. Factors such as wind resistance aerodynamics and engine power and weight have to be factored into finding the true variance between using the air conditioning system and not using it when figuring out difference in actual gas mileage. Other factors on the impact on the engine and an overall engine heat increase can have an impact on the cooling system of the vehicle.

1953 Chrysler Imperial with factory trunk mounted "Airtemp".

The Packard Motor Car Company was the first automobile manufacturer to build air conditioners into its cars, beginning in 1939. These air conditioners were originally optional, and could be installed for an extra $274 (about $4,050 in 2007 dollars). The system took up the entire trunk space, was not very efficient, and had no thermostat or independent shut-off mechanism. The option was discontinued after 1941.

In 1954 the Nash Ambassador was the first American automobile to boast front-end, fully-integrated heating, ventilating, and air-conditioning system. The Nash-Kelvinator corporation used its experience in refrigeration to introduce the automobile industry's first compact and affordable, single-unit heating and air conditioning system optional for its 1954 Nash models. This was the first system for the mass market with controls on the dash and an electric clutch. Marketed under the name of "All-Weather Eye", the Nash system was "a good and remarkably inexpensive" system. Entirely incorporated within the engine bay, the combined heating and cooling system had cold air for passengers enter through dash-mounted vents. Nash's exclusive "remarkable advance" was not only the "sophisticated" unified system, but also its $345 price that beat all other systems.

Most competing systems used a separate heating system and an engine-mounted compressor with an evaporator in the car's trunk to deliver cold air through the rear package shelf and overhead vents. General Motors made a front mounted air conditioning system optional in 1954 Chevrolets and Pontiacs with a V8 engine that added separate controls and air distribution. The alternative layout pioneered by Nash "became established practice and continues to form the basis of the modern and more sophisticated automatic climate control systems."

The innovation was adopted quickly, and by 1960 about 20% of all cars in the United States had air-conditioning with the percentage increasing to 80% in the desert areas of the Southwest. American Motors made air conditioning standard equipment on all AMC Ambassadors starting with the 1968 model year, a first in the mass market with a base price starting at $2,671. By 1969, over half (54%) of the domestic automobiles were equipped with air conditioning; with the system needed not only for passenger comfort, but also to increase the car's resale value.

According to the latest Collectible Automobile (Dec. 09) 1955 was the first year for factory installed air in Lincolns. The unit mounted in the trunk and the cold air came through clear plactic tubes in the rear package shelf up to outlets in the headliner. The air conditioned cars had louvers in the rear quarters. I have seen similar air conditioners in Fords and Mercury cars from '56 and in the Lincoln Continental Mark II '56-'57

The first year for factory air conditioning in the full size Fords was 1955. I would assume that was across the line for Mercury and Lincoln also. It was obviously a rare option, especially in the Ford line. One interesting fact is that the first year for air conditioning in the Thunderbird was 1958. No early T-Birds came with air conditioning from the factory.

Regards,

Lew

I remember our first car with A/C was our 65 Mustang. That was the reason we custom ordered it. Only 9% of 65 Mustangs came with factory air. At $283, it was an expensive option adding 12% to the MSRP.

My '64 1/2 convertible is a factory air car. It was sold new in Albuquerque, NM. All 4 of my convertibles have been factory A/C cars.

The '63 Lincoln had A/C as standard and the '66 T-Bird and ' 67 Pontiac Grand Prix had it as an option. Air was pretty rare on a rag top back in the '60s due to the cost.

According to the latest Collectible Automobile (Dec. 09) 1955 was the first year for factory installed air in Lincolns. The unit mounted in the trunk and the cold air came through clear plactic tubes in the rear package shelf up to outlets in the headliner. The air conditioned cars had louvers in the rear quarters. I have seen similar air conditioners in Fords and Mercury cars from '56 and in the Lincoln Continental Mark II '56-'57

Thank you Birdman. Has anyone actually seen pictures of an air conditioned 1955 Ford or Merc. Collectable Automobile does have a pic of a 1955 Linclon with AC in the current issue. As I previously stated, I believe that I once saw a 1956 Ford Fairlane that had AC.

Thanks to everyone for your input. My Dad's first AC car was the 1966 T'bird.

I did see a picture of a 1955 Ford with the AC system, I think it was in a Consumer Guide book about Ford. Anyway, the only noticable difference in the car was an insert on the rear fenders just aft of the back door where there was a small insert with some louvers in it. That seems consistent with Ford practice in other cars, such as the Continental Mark II.

• 4 weeks later...

Cadillac was the first to offer air conditioning in the postwar era. It offered air conditioning as an option for 1953.

Early air conditioners were quite expensive. Chevrolet offered it in 1955; I remember reading that if a Chevrolet was ordered with air conditioning, the car literally had to be pulled from the line, and the air conditioning was virtually installed by hand. On any given day, very few cars in any particular factory could therefore be produced with air conditioning.

Cadillac was the first to offer air conditioning in the postwar era. It offered air conditioning as an option for 1953.

Early air conditioners were quite expensive. Chevrolet offered it in 1955; I remember reading that if a Chevrolet was ordered with air conditioning, the car literally had to be pulled from the line, and the air conditioning was virtually installed by hand. On any given day, very few cars in any particular factory could therefore be produced with air conditioning.

Packard beat Cadillac. I was on a garage tour this weekend with the Mustang Club and the garage we visited ahd a huge collection of automobile literature and related collectibles. Here is a Packard Air Conditioning dealer brochure. The car is a '46-'47 Packard. The '48s were the "Bathtub" style.

post-16479-1256649389_thumb.jpg

Packard beat Cadillac. I was on a garage tour this weekend with the Mustang Club and the garage we visited ahd a huge collection of automobile literature and related collectibles. Here is a Packard Air Conditioning dealer brochure. The car is a '46-'47 Packard. The '48s were the "Bathtub" style.

Packard had it first, but the company did not offer it immediately in the postwar years. Apparently there was considerable buyer resistance to the cost - I believe that it was around $1,000, which was a huge sum in the early 1940s - and the system was somewhat clumsy in operation. Cadillac came back with air conditioning first in 1953, and Packard quickly followed.

• 3 weeks later...

I was doing research on a 58 AC system and found the attached picture of the AC vents on a 56 ford along with your post asking questions about Ford AC. The 56 vents are around the radio speaker grill. The 57 Ford had the vents in the trim at the base of the windshield. In 58 the vent was moved to the bottom of the dash. Hope the picture helps. Here's the URL of the site where I found the picture.

http://collectiblecarcorner.blogspot.com/

Thank you Birdman. Has anyone actually seen pictures of an air conditioned 1955 Ford or Merc. Collectable Automobile does have a pic of a 1955 Linclon with AC in the current issue. As I previously stated, I believe that I once saw a 1956 Ford Fairlane that had AC.

post-39279-1258183186_thumb.png

• 2 months later...

I was doing research on a 58 AC system and found the attached picture of the AC vents on a 56 ford along with your post asking questions about Ford AC. The 56 vents are around the radio speaker grill. The 57 Ford had the vents in the trim at the base of the windshield. In 58 the vent was moved to the bottom of the dash. Hope the picture helps. Here's the URL of the site where I found the picture.

http://collectiblecarcorner.blogspot.com/

Thank you very much for the pic wrptbird. This is exactly what I remember seeing back in 1956. Only remember seeing the one. My Dad was a Ford car salesman in the 1950s. I never saw an air conditioned 1957 or '58.

nshvlcat

• 8 months later...

In regards to automobile air conditioning Oldsmobile ,Buick and Cadillac offered A/C in

1953. Also air conditioning was offered on the Imperial in 1953. As for Lincoln in the

December 1996 edition of Special Interest Autos #156 there is an article on air conditioning

in the 1954 LINCOLN, Cadillac and Imperial. So I believe that was the first year for

Lincoln. There were the clear plastic ducts from the trunk with 4 round vents in the headliner,

Similar vents were used in the Lincoln through 1957. Interestingly Chrysler used

Freon 22 not Freon 12 in their first few years. perhaps this is why they could cool

so well. I think this continued until 1957. Chrysler Crown Imperial offered A/C in 1941

according to this ad.

post-42622-095743000 1286143444_thumb.jpg

In regards to automobile air conditioning Oldsmobile ,Buick and Cadillac offered A/C in

1953. Also air conditioning was offered on the Imperial in 1953. As for Lincoln in the

December 1996 edition of Special Interest Autos #156 there is an article on air conditioning

in the 1954 LINCOLN, Cadillac and Imperial. So I believe that was the first year for

Lincoln. There were the clear plastic ducts from the trunk with 4 round vents in the headliner,

Similar vents were used in the Lincoln through 1957. Interestingly Chrysler used

Freon 22 not Freon 12 in their first few years. perhaps this is why they could cool

so well. I think this continued until 1957. Chrysler Crown Imperial offered A/C in 1941

according to this ad.

Here is the Imperial ad I hope

Edited by barry3333

I did see a picture of a 1955 Ford with the AC system, I think it was in a Consumer Guide book about Ford. Anyway, the only noticable difference in the car was an insert on the rear fenders just aft of the back door where there was a small insert with some louvers in it. That seems consistent with Ford practice in other cars, such as the Continental Mark II.

The 1956 Continental Mark II did not have lovers but had an opening in the rear fender

In 1957 the fresh air was brought from the front of the carpost-42622-003518200 1286149290_thumb.jpg

post-42622-014119400 1286149317_thumb.jpg

• 4 months later...

I know this is an old thread, but I couldn't resist posting.

In late 1952, my Dad ordered and received a 1953 Ford with factory air conditioning from the Pegues-Hurst Ford dealership in Longview, Texas. That car was replaced in late 1954 with a Mercury having factory air purchased from Ozan Motor Company (a Lincoln-Mercury dealer) in Longview, Texas. (passed my drivers test in that Mercury) Both cars had the typical in trunk evaporator blower set up of the era with the tubes going through the package tray.

I can't say for certain that there was an official A/C accessory offering for Ford in 1953 or attest to exactly how the A/C came to come from the factory. I can only surmise the fact one of the partners in the dealership was a neighbor it may have been one of those "special" kind of deals from the dealer having knowledge it was to be soon to be officially offered. The dealership is still in business, maybe I should check to see if they have any records of that order from fifty-nine years ago. :)

Edited by Oldcarnut

Thank you Oldcarnut for your input. My Dad also bought a new 1953 Ford (non-AC). I must say that I am surprised that a fifty-three had AC. Do you remember anything about the vents? Was it a tube with vents in the headliner or vents in or under the dashboard?

I know this is an old thread, but I couldn't resist posting.

In late 1952, my Dad ordered and received a 1953 Ford with factory air conditioning from the Pegues-Hurst Ford dealership in Longview, Texas. That car was replaced in late 1954 with a Mercury having factory air purchased from Ozan Motor Company (a Lincoln-Mercury dealer) in Longview, Texas. (passed my drivers test in that Mercury) Both cars had the typical in trunk evaporator blower set up of the era with the tubes going through the package tray.

I can't say for certain that there was an official A/C accessory offering for Ford in 1953 or attest to exactly how the A/C came to come from the factory. I can only surmise the fact one of the partners in the dealership was a neighbor it may have been one of those "special" kind of deals from the dealer having knowledge it was to be soon to be officially offered. The dealership is still in business, maybe I should check to see if they have any records of that order from fifty-nine years ago. :)

• 3 months later...

Realizing this is old, I thought I would go ahead and add to it.

Air conditioning was offered on Lincolns as early as 1953. I have never seen one, but there are service manuals for '53 Lincoln air conditioning available online and through e-bay. As someone previously said, there was an aritcle a few years back in Special Interest Auto's that tested a 54 Cadillac, Imperial, and Lincoln.. This was the earliest year that examples for all three makes could be found. The results were that the Imperial and Cadillac had the best systems and Ford, because its experience in air conditioning was not as extensive as the other makes, did not have as an effective system in the Lincoln.

All regular Lincoln air conditioning systems through 1957 were trunk mounted units with varying designs of fender mounted, outside air vents, the clear tubes and the overhead vents. The Continental Mark II did not have the clear tubes showing, but it did have the same round overhead vents. Either the ducting was different or Lincoln somehow managed to effectively conceal the plastic tubes, something I would expect of a car in its price range. I'm sure there were still some limousines from 1958 forward that may have had a dual system, one being a trunk mounted unit.

Over the years, I have seen quite a few '54 Lincolns with factory air. Do a regular check of e-bay and sooner or later, you will see one.

1955 was the first year of factory air conditioning in Fords and Mercury's. I too, have seen the '55 Ford four door sedan in Collectible Guide, but I feel it must have been a prototype that was abandoned in favor of a dash mounted system as I have never seen a factory trunk mount a/c in a '55 Ford, and in all that I have read, there has never been any mention of this type of system being put into production for '55 Fords. The '55 Ford factory air system is similar to the 56 in that the round discharge vents flank the radio speaker on top of the dashboard. I believe there was a minor design change in the vents from '55 to '56 as well as other improvements, but they are slight. I've seen a few '55 Ford Crown Victorias with factory a/c as well as one unusually equipped '55 Ford Customline 4 door sedan. I have also seen on e-bay a couple of complete factory air systems including dashes that were pulled from parts cars so equipped. 1957 Fords had the a/c vents mounted at the base of the windshield along with the defroster vents which made for a very neat appearance. 1958 saw the a/c unit being placed beneath the dashboard. Additionally, factory a/c models had a neat chrome badge on the right front passenger door only that read "Air Conditioned by FORD Select Aire."

1955 and 1956 Mercurys used the trunk mounted system incorporating the neat outside vent grilles on the rear fenders and the round overhead ducts. From time to time, there are a few on e-bay. 1957 Mercurys with a/c had their vents mounted at the base of the windshiled like Fords.

In 1954, the aftermarket air conditioning company NOVI marketed an air conditioning unit specifically for the 1954 Ford. Ford with their blessing, approved the units for installation in V8 Fords at the dealership level. As with other NOVI systems, they did without the fender mounted vents but still utilitzed the clear plastic tubes on the rear package shelf. However, they had to do without the overhead vent system and cold air discharged at the top of the tubes. These aftermarket systems were designed for quick, relatively easy installation therefore the hassles of removing headliners, running the duct work and vents was not even a consideration. However, most people see the discharge tubes and automatically assume they are connected to overhead vents, and in these situations, is not the case. Another factor was that GM was encountering problems as people complained they were not getting a lot of cold air through the vents. Turns out the material that GM used to pipe cold air from the rear tubes on up through and under the headliner to the vents was made of a fibrous material that became soggy from condensation and started collasping inward. Dealers were instructed to start disconnecting this part from the rear tubes and let the cold air discharge directly from the top of the plastic tubes behind the rear seats.

NOVI also manufactured a/c units for factory installation and dealership installation for 1955 Studebaker V8 sedans. However, that is for another discussion board,

The writer who posted his family had a 53 Ford with factory a/c probably had a Ford with the NOVI system. I guess it is possible for some 53's to have had this type of unit installed, or either it could have been a 54 Ford and time has just resulted in the year being off.

Sorry for the long post, the early auto a/c units fascinate me. I always think about the people who ordered their cars with these units. In 1953, the factory cost for GM cars was about $620.00, with other makes probably being priced similar. Anyhow, it was extremely expensive. Factoring for inflation, I think that is like going in to your local Ford dealer today, and purchasing a single option that adds about $6,000.00 to the price of the car.

In looking for these old systems, don't discount the lower trim lines. Often people who wanted factory a/c would order a lower trim level and have a/c installed. The difference in pricing between the trim levels often made affording factory a/c easier.

Not to upset anyone on a Ford forum, but I want one of the few '54 Pontiac Star Chiefs that came with factory a/c. It was the first example of a modern, all up front factory a/c system. Even a little earlier than American Motors and the '54 Nash.

Best regards

Mr. Bill

Hamlet, NC

Edited by Mr. Bill

Thank you Bill. Your knowledge of early auto AC is impressive.

Nshvlcat

Realizing this is old, I thought I would go ahead and add to it.

Air conditioning was offered on Lincolns as early as 1953. I have never seen one, but there are service manuals for '53 Lincoln air conditioning available online and through e-bay. As someone previously said, there was an aritcle a few years back in Special Interest Auto's that tested a 54 Cadillac, Imperial, and Lincoln.. This was the earliest year that examples for all three makes could be found. The results were that the Imperial and Cadillac had the best systems and Ford, because its experience in air conditioning was not as extensive as the other makes, did not have as an effective system in the Lincoln.

All regular Lincoln air conditioning systems through 1957 were trunk mounted units with varying designs of fender mounted, outside air vents, the clear tubes and the overhead vents. The Continental Mark II did not have the clear tubes showing, but it did have the same round overhead vents. Either the ducting was different or Lincoln somehow managed to effectively conceal the plastic tubes, something I would expect of a car in its price range. I'm sure there were still some limousines from 1958 forward that may have had a dual system, one being a trunk mounted unit.

Over the years, I have seen quite a few '54 Lincolns with factory air. Do a regular check of e-bay and sooner or later, you will see one.

1955 was the first year of factory air conditioning in Fords and Mercury's. I too, have seen the '55 Ford four door sedan in Collectible Guide, but I feel it must have been a prototype that was abandoned in favor of a dash mounted system as I have never seen a factory trunk mount a/c in a '55 Ford, and in all that I have read, there has never been any mention of this type of system being put into production for '55 Fords. The '55 Ford factory air system is similar to the 56 in that the round discharge vents flank the radio speaker on top of the dashboard. I believe there was a minor design change in the vents from '55 to '56 as well as other improvements, but they are slight. I've seen a few '55 Ford Crown Victorias with factory a/c as well as one unusually equipped '55 Ford Customline 4 door sedan. I have also seen on e-bay a couple of complete factory air systems including dashes that were pulled from parts cars so equipped. 1957 Fords had the a/c vents mounted at the base of the windshield along with the defroster vents which made for a very neat appearance. 1958 saw the a/c unit being placed beneath the dashboard. Additionally, factory a/c models had a neat chrome badge on the right front passenger door only that read "Air Conditioned by FORD Select Aire."

1955 and 1956 Mercurys used the trunk mounted system incorporating the neat outside vent grilles on the rear fenders and the round overhead ducts. From time to time, there are a few on e-bay. 1957 Mercurys with a/c had their vents mounted at the base of the windshiled like Fords.

In 1954, the aftermarket air conditioning company NOVI marketed an air conditioning unit specifically for the 1954 Ford. Ford with their blessing, approved the units for installation in V8 Fords at the dealership level. As with other NOVI systems, they did without the fender mounted vents but still utilitzed the clear plastic tubes on the rear package shelf. However, they had to do without the overhead vent system and cold air discharged at the top of the tubes. These aftermarket systems were designed for quick, relatively easy installation therefore the hassles of removing headliners, running the duct work and vents was not even a consideration. However, most people see the discharge tubes and automatically assume they are connected to overhead vents, and in these situations, is not the case. Another factor was that GM was encountering problems as people complained they were not getting a lot of cold air through the vents. Turns out the material that GM used to pipe cold air from the rear tubes on up through and under the headliner to the vents was made of a fibrous material that became soggy from condensation and started collasping inward. Dealers were instructed to start disconnecting this part from the rear tubes and let the cold air discharge directly from the top of the plastic tubes behind the rear seats.

NOVI also manufactured a/c units for factory installation and dealership installation for 1955 Studebaker V8 sedans. However, that is for another discussion board,

The writer who posted his family had a 53 Ford with factory a/c probably had a Ford with the NOVI system. I guess it is possible for some 53's to have had this type of unit installed, or either it could have been a 54 Ford and time has just resulted in the year being off.

Sorry for the long post, the early auto a/c units fascinate me. I always think about the people who ordered their cars with these units. In 1953, the factory cost for GM cars was about $620.00, with other makes probably being priced similar. Anyhow, it was extremely expensive. Factoring for inflation, I think that is like going in to your local Ford dealer today, and purchasing a single option that adds about $6,000.00 to the price of the car.

In looking for these old systems, don't discount the lower trim lines. Often people who wanted factory a/c would order a lower trim level and have a/c installed. The difference in pricing between the trim levels often made affording factory a/c easier.

Not to upset anyone on a Ford forum, but I want one of the few '54 Pontiac Star Chiefs that came with factory a/c. It was the first example of a modern, all up front factory a/c system. Even a little earlier than American Motors and the '54 Nash.

Best regards

Mr. Bill

Hamlet, NC

• 9 months later...

I hope someone can answer this question. In what year did Ford begin to air condition their cars? I know that Lincolns were air conditioned in 1955 using vents in the headliner (same as Cadillac).

I vaguly remember as a child seeing a 1956 Ford Fairlane with AC. I seem to recall two large round registers in the top of the instrument panel on either side of the radio speaker.

Were any Fords or Mercurys air conditioned prior to 1956? I know by 1959 AC was slung under the dash and this method was used until 1964. In 1965, the AC was integrated into the dash.