10 ways to buy American....

They neglect to tell the reader that most of the money they spend on the car goes back to Japan. I read it was around 80-93% of the money goes back to the country of ownership, although that was a few years ago so I'm sure it has changed by now. Regardless, the Japanese aren't building factories in the US to be nice to Americans, they're doing it so they can keep more cash in their pockets.

They neglect to tell the reader that most of the money they spend on the car goes back to Japan. I read it was around 80-93% of the money goes back to the country of ownership, although that was a few years ago so I'm sure it has changed by now. Regardless, the Japanese aren't building factories in the US to be nice to Americans, they're doing it so they can keep more cash in their pockets.

So should those factories be closed and all the employees at the dealerships (Sales, technicians, admin, etc.) and the myriad of supporting suppliers to Toyota be laid off? They put "plenty" of cash in to Americans pockets as well.

There are many who still think some of those Camrys are made in Japan. Guess what - the American public (generally) doesn't care.

So should those factories be closed and all the employees at the dealerships (Sales, technicians, admin, etc.) and the myriad of supporting suppliers to Toyota be laid off? They put "plenty" of cash in to Americans pockets as well.

There are many who still think some of those Camrys are made in Japan. Guess what - the American public (generally) doesn't care.

The point of the article is how to support AMERICAN companys. Since when is Toyota an American company?? They are Japanese, always have been, always will be.

Since Toyota made gigantic loss last financial year due mostly to falling US sales, I don't see the problem with exporting LOSS.

Don't forget that the bulk of Parts in Camrys come from parts suppliers in North America, that money and workers pay stays in the USA.

How many hybrids are made in the USA?

Hummm....... :reading:

Toyota USA. Wonder where it's Hq is located?

Hummmm.... :reading:

US is the hybrid buying capital of world nobody else other than you buy them in really big numbers, and with the sales of all brands put together last month struggling to make it past 15,000 units gotta say sales are pretty much non existent in the world biggest only real market for them.

There's nothing inaccurate here;

When Cars.com researches its annual American-made index, editors walk the car lots. They then rank the 20 most popular vehicles that are assembled in the States and contain at least 75% domestic parts.

For years, the Ford F-150 truck has landed at No. 1, with several Toyotas and Hondas following in the list. Chrysler builds some cars in Canada, and Ford in Mexico. At the same time, Japanese automakers employ thousands of Americans at its plants in the South that, thanks to pressure from U.S. auto unions, offer good wages.

Some might argue that the Jeep Liberty and Dodge Nitro, made at the Jeep plant in Toledo, Ohio, with suppliers on site, is a truly U.S.-built car. But nobody escapes the global supply chain these days.

"It's an issue of degrees, and there are a lot of degrees," says John Neff, the editor-in-chief of Autoblog.

Well, aside from the fact that the Liberty and Nitro may, mercifully, no longer be produced. :shades:

Wow, just Wow is all I can say about this bullshit article on MSN front page. Check out the slide show of 10 ways to buy American and there isn't one GM or Ford, but they throw the Toyota Camry in #5.

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Savin.../?gt1=33002

If GM & Chrysler end up like British Leyland and the Yota owned the US market you can bet your bottom dollar the Camry all American dream would become the all Chinese made American nightmare overnight.

Edited by Ford Jellymoulds

Wow, just Wow is all I can say about this bullshit article on MSN front page. Check out the slide show of 10 ways to buy American and there isn't one GM or Ford, but they throw the Toyota Camry in #5.

<a href="http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/SavingandDebt/ConsumerActionGuide/10-ways-you-can-still-buy-american.aspx/?gt1=33002" target="_blank">http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Savin...aspx/?gt1=33002</a>

They state that the the Camry Hybrid gets close to 40 mpg. So by that logic I guess the Fusion Hybrid gets close to 45 mpg.

US is the hybrid buying capital of world nobody else other than you buy them in really big numbers, and with the sales of all brands put together last month struggling to make it past 15,000 units gotta say sales are pretty much non existent in the world biggest only real market for them.

"Toyota revving Prius production to meet demand"

AP

Detroit News.. AP release :reading:

AP

Toyota says it has received 80,000 orders for the third-generation Prius, which rolled out earlier this month. It declined comment on a Kyodo News report that such orders had jumped to 110,000, and Toyota is raising Prius production from its initial plan for 42,000 to 43,000 vehicles a month to 50,000.

Sure, a lot of that volume is for the Japanese market but an up turn in the US economy

later this year will possibly signal an increase in all hybrid sales.

The point of the article is how to support AMERICAN companys.

No its not. It is to buy products manufactured in America. Which sadly there aren't nearly enough.

What a goofy article. It's full of unrecognizable niche brands and they throw a Toyota hybrid in the mix! WHAT?!

The article is trying to cover a wide range of consumer products. And as they state in the article not many are made in America any more. eg consumer electronics we buy 1/3 of the worlds supply yet produce only 4%! However it would have been nice if they had one of the big 3's products in the lineup preferably ford.

Also as has been pointed out the camery is made here as are most of its parts so it does technically qualify.

AP

LOL Fiesta will be upping production to 10 trillion a week by then, shame the Prius will be short of 30,000 battries a month or some other cock and bull story from Yotaland fairytale book of the future, buyers at the moment don't share their fantasy.

Prius sales dropped down from 21,757 down in April 2008 to 8,385 sales in April 2009 down -61.5% in the REAL WORLD US its biggest market in the world.

LOL Fiesta will be upping production to 10 trillion a week by then, shame the Prius will be short of 30,000 battries a month or some other cock and bull story from Yotaland fairytale book of the future, buyers at the moment don't share their fantasy.

Prius sales dropped down from 21,757 down in April 2008 to 8,385 sales in April 2009 down -61.5% in the REAL WORLD US its biggest market in the world.

In Toyota's defense.. when was the last time an American car sold 21 757 in a month? 8385 is still a decent number, it's may 2008 that was all screwed up (gas prices)

Why did they have to throw a toyota in there anyway. It is only 45% American parts. They could have put Craftsmen tools or Weber charcoal Grills?? It's stupid to put the Camry in there when there were so many other options..... here's a website they have could have researched from.... pretty simple, "stillmadeintheUSA.com"

http://www.stillmadeinusa.com/garden.html#LawnCare

Edited by Hydro

Profits ultimately go to the shareholders. And more Americans own shares of Toyota and Honda than do Japanese.

In the 80's, when currency favored the importing of Japanese made cars into America, they did so....and we cried not fair....and Congress passed rules forcing the foreigners to assemble their vehicles here. In time currency shifted in our favor, and the Japanese began to manuacture and source their parts from US as well. So now we have the American made Toyota and Honda (and others) made here by Americans, sold by American dealrships with American employees. All (manufacturing plants, dealerships, all employees) pay local, state, and Federal taxes. with shares of mother companies mostly owned by N American instutitions.

And we have Ford making some of their hi volume bread and butter vehicles in Mexico....asking us to buy American. Ironic. But....I'm still a Ford fan. But don't try to use that "Buy American" stuff on me I will when they do.

Edited by Ralph Greene

It's mostly thru mutual funds held in American retirement accounts.

I don't doubt that there is substantial mutual fund holdings in both companies, but the Japanese have mutual funds also that invest heavily in both companies. And many American mutual funds are invested in by overseas investors as well as Americans.