EcoBoost in F150.

battyr

http://www.motortrend.com/features/auto_ne...gine/index.html

It will also return 15-20 percent better mileage

Towing and other hard work won't tax the EcoBoost engine ... The direct injection of gasoline has the effect of cooling the combustion chamber ... According to an engineer who is developing the EcoBoost F-150, "cooling has not been an issue."

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They're just guessing at the numbers of hp and tq. The benefit of GTDI is that you can ramp power up and down without changing design very much. Given that this is a RWD platform, I won't be surprised to see additional power out of this engine than the 340/340 it's limited to in the MKS because of the AWD and tranny.

But remember, even if it is, say, 350tq, 100% of that is available at probably 2000-5000 rpm. That's pretty good, but I expect it to get maybe 370-380.

"One challenge will be the sound characteristics of a turbo six-cylinder, which will be different from the familiar mellow rumble of a V-8. The company is looking at solutions, including a simplified active sound-cancellation system that will mold the sound waves that emerge from the exhaust pipe, but without a complex closed-loop system using microphones to monitor and adapt to the sounds being produced. The system would instead use a simple data map to know what it should do under different circumstances."

Unless this engine sounds really horrible, I don't understand why so much effort is being put towards this. So the goal is to make it sound like a V8? Regardless, it's good to see they are focusing on small details like this.

I would like to see more detailed info on how this works.

Edited by Paul Selby

"One challenge will be the sound characteristics of a turbo six-cylinder, which will be different from the familiar mellow rumble of a V-8. The company is looking at solutions, including a simplified active sound-cancellation system that will mold the sound waves that emerge from the exhaust pipe, but without a complex closed-loop system using microphones to monitor and adapt to the sounds being produced. The system would instead use a simple data map to know what it should do under different circumstances."

Unless this engine sounds really horrible, I don't understand why so much effort is being put towards this. So the goal is to make it sound like a V8? Regardless, it's good to see they are focusing on small details like this.

I would like to see more detailed info on how this works.

A lot more effort goes into exhaust tuning that you might think. There was an article a couple years ago in Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords about the acoustic engineers and the work they did tuning the S197's exhaust notes. I was suprised at how far they went with it.

A lot more effort goes into exhaust tuning that you might think. There was an article a couple years ago in Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords about the acoustic engineers and the work they did tuning the S197's exhaust notes. I was suprised at how far they went with it.
It's all about image. At Ferrari, they actually have a dedicated acoustic engineering team just to make sure that every Ferrari sounds like a Ferrari. I would imagine, given the iconic sound of the American V8, that Ford has one too.

The sound that a cheap engine makes does not matter. But if you are replacing a premium engine, you just don't need the torque of the premium engine, but you need the sound of the premium engine. You only feel the torque of the engine when you are pushing it. You can't see it. You shouldn't smell it. All premium engines should be smooth running most of the time. The sound is important.

While the biggest problem with the V-6 EB would we the turbo wine. Sound in an I-4 is a bigger issue. I have driven many large 4 cylinders that seem torquey and smooth. But you can't get around the owful 4-cylinder sound with out some external technology.

If you can make the 6 and 4 sound good, then the 8 is dead. Remember a 2 cylinder Harley sounds great, and people love them.

The sound that a cheap engine makes does not matter. But if you are replacing a premium engine, you just don't need the torque of the premium engine, but you need the sound of the premium engine. You only feel the torque of the engine when you are pushing it. You can't see it. You shouldn't smell it. All premium engines should be smooth running most of the time. The sound is important.

While the biggest problem with the V-6 EB would we the turbo wine. Sound in an I-4 is a bigger issue. I have driven many large 4 cylinders that seem torquey and smooth. But you can't get around the owful 4-cylinder sound with out some external technology.

If you can make the 6 and 4 sound good, then the 8 is dead. Remember a 2 cylinder Harley sounds great, and people love them.

Theres nothing wrong with Turbo wine, they just cant make the engine sound like a rice rocket with a 6inch coffee can muffler.

Theres nothing wrong with Turbo wine, they just cant make the engine sound like a rice rocket with a 6inch coffee can muffler.

That would be the correct answer for a Mustang.

Myself, I don't think the turbo wine should be that bad. Can be kind of neat like the sounds like a jet engine. Valve noise might be a little more harsh on a 6 vs an 8.

I have heard complainst of the EcoBoost engines sound. Maybe the Turbos muffle the good exhaust sound. You get lower quality exhaust sound so it's not good enough cover up other engine noises.

Again, I see noise being a bigger problem with a 4.

This reminds me a bit of my 03 Cobra. At startup it fired up like a V8 and rumbled like a V8. But once, you got into boost, the super charger whine would overshadow any of the V8's acoustics. Probably the same issue with the Turbo Six. Its probably going to be difficult to completely overcome turbo whine issues.

They should add some Diesel sound effects... and mybe a blow off valve :hysterical:

This reminds me a bit of my 03 Cobra. At startup it fired up like a V8 and rumbled like a V8. But once, you got into boost, the super charger whine would overshadow any of the V8's acoustics. Probably the same issue with the Turbo Six. Its probably going to be difficult to completely overcome turbo whine issues.

They should add some Diesel sound effects... and mybe a blow off valve :hysterical:

Turbocharger whine is far easier to damp than [positive displacement] supercharger whine. As far as the blow-off valve goes... it's a required component of any turbocharged system.

The minimum performance targets for the engine are 340/340. That's not the expected performance numbers. Taking a look at what the N/A 3.5L makes 265/245 and adding about 50% to that for the combo of GDI and twin turbos should give a comfortable target of 395/370, which puts in the ballpark with all the big V8s from the competition out there. Here's where it will shine. Turbos are great for recovering lost energy from the combustion process. So, even if this does have to dip into the turbos a lot, it should do noticeably better in the mpg department than any of the big V8s from the competition while simultaneuosly doing the same work and weighing less.

As for exhaust tuning, as long as it doesn't end up sounding like some sort of rice burner modified civic trying to race you at a stoplight, it'll be fine with me.

It won't sound like a rice burner unless Ford uses a 4 cylinder.

I can see Ford killing the 6.2 L and replacing it with a 4 to 5 L EB. Could be an I-6, V-6 or V-8

I liked the sound my Turbo Coupe made. I don't remember hearing any complaints about the sound of the SVO Mustang.

Edited by StevenCaylor

An I6 if we're lucky. Hmm, where would we find a 4.0L I6?

I-6 has the only sound I like as much as a V-8!

The sound (rhythm) of an engine is a factor of it's number if cyls, primary balance and exhaust design. Want to hear a real odd ball Ford V-8? Listen to the Ford GAA tank engine, 60deg V-8.

You can actually do a lot to change the sound of an engine by changing the lengths of the primary tubes on the exhaust. I used to do this for guys who had Metric V-Twin bikes. "Make it sound like a Harley" I'd have to cut and lengthen one of the primary pipes to get an uneven pulse at the collector. Could never really add enough pipe to truely match the Harley uneven "potato-potato-potato-potato". But it was close enough so it didn't sound like every other Hondasaki on the road.

That said, I doubt this is a good idea on a turbocharged engine, (turbo's don't like odd pulses very much).

I-6 has the only sound I like as much as a V-8!

The sound (rhythm) of an engine is a factor of it's number if cyls, primary balance and exhaust design. Want to hear a real odd ball Ford V-8? Listen to the Ford GAA tank engine, 60deg V-8.

You can actually do a lot to change the sound of an engine by changing the lengths of the primary tubes on the exhaust. I used to do this for guys who had Metric V-Twin bikes. "Make it sound like a Harley" I'd have to cut and lengthen one of the primary pipes to get an uneven pulse at the collector. Could never really add enough pipe to truely match the Harley uneven "potato-potato-potato-potato". But it was close enough so it didn't sound like every other Hondasaki on the road.

That said, I doubt this is a good idea on a turbocharged engine, (turbo's don't like odd pulses very much).

funny, V-twin rider myself... ( Aprilia w Rotax V twin )..awesome sound w an Akropovich, has character a Hondasaki can only dream of. As for 6 cylinders, straight sixes sound awesome with a pipe that at least lets a few decibels loose, turbo will inherently be quieter....but a whoosh sound can be intriguing as well, my guess is they will keep it pretty quiet and let specs and #'s speek for themselves....anyone want some DB's , go get a Flowmaster tacked on...

It won't sound like a rice burner unless Ford uses a 4 cylinder.

I can see Ford killing the 6.2 L and replacing it with a 4 to 5 L EB. Could be an I-6, V-6 or V-8

the 6.2L is still rumored to go in the f150......interseting trivia is jeep had a 4 banger named hurricane in the early 50's (flat head)..when the semi flathead arrived 2 years later jeep called it the super hurricane..just some trivia stuff for us auto trivia junkies