2009 Ford Taurus X Cancelled

ice-capades

The Ford Taurus X will be discontinued February 2009 when the 2009MY balances out. The cancellation of the Taurus X will allow us to provide a singular solution to our customers needing a seven-passenger crossover with the Ford Flex, a great vehicle that is both safe and stylish.

Action:

Please take note of the below key wholesale dates to mark your calendar and be sure to take advantage of the final Taurus X production.

Final Taurus X Wholesale: November 25-Dec 5, 2008

All final orders are due no later than Friday, January 16th, 2009

Last day of production will be Friday, February 27th, 2009

The Ford Taurus X will be discontinued February 2009 when the 2009MY balances out. The cancellation of the Taurus X will allow us to provide a singular solution to our customers needing a seven-passenger crossover with the Ford Flex, a great vehicle that is both safe and stylish.

Action:

Please take note of the below key wholesale dates to mark your calendar and be sure to take advantage of the final Taurus X production.

Final Taurus X Wholesale: November 25-Dec 5, 2008

All final orders are due no later than Friday, January 16th, 2009

Last day of production will be Friday, February 27th, 2009

Too bad. I know there was no room for it in the lineup, really. I know it never got the best press. But at the end of the day it was a really nice driving family hauler. Much better than the Freestyle!

It almost seems like it never got a chance because of the Freestyle's shortcomings, and the perfectly timed release of the Flex. They will end up being a steal on the used car market.

Name sure did suck, though.

RIP X...

• 2 weeks later...
Too bad. I know there was no room for it in the lineup, really. I know it never got the best press. But at the end of the day it was a really nice driving family hauler. Much better than the Freestyle!

It almost seems like it never got a chance because of the Freestyle's shortcomings, and the perfectly timed release of the Flex. They will end up being a steal on the used car market.

Name sure did suck, though.

RIP X...

Now Toyota brings out the Venza....command seating, easy egres....blah...blah, no mention that they just built a Freestyle/Taurus X. It will be the greatest car now.....why couldn't Detroit think of it.....They are just not building what people want....

Now Toyota brings out the Venza....command seating, easy egres....blah...blah, no mention that they just built a Freestyle/Taurus X. It will be the greatest car now.....why couldn't Detroit think of it.....They are just not building what people want....

Venza only seat 5 (at least for now). Ford did advertised command seating (for view, not for egress) for the Fivehundred! Easy egress were mentioned in magazine/online reviews on the Freestyle!

At the period of time Ford launched the Freestyle/TaurusX, seemed to be Ford had no spare money to do advertisements (even today too)! :shrug:

On a second thought, the Venza will be competing directly with the new Taurus. The Venza will have tall roof over 61" height, tall seating position, crossover sedan, etc. It might steal sales from the Taurus!

Edited by LoveTaurus

• 4 weeks later...

This is really to bad! The Taurus X is a good vehilce that was never advertised by Ford, the worst thing about it is its name. Taurus X? Come on they pay people good money to come up with names. I was waiting for an X with the ECO engine. That could have been a killer vs. the box Flex.

This is really to bad! The Taurus X is a good vehilce that was never advertised by Ford, the worst thing about it is its name. Taurus X? Come on they pay people good money to come up with names. I was waiting for an X with the ECO engine. That could have been a killer vs. the box Flex.

Sad that Ford DIDN'T market this one. GREAT CUV. Bought an AWD Limited for the wife back in July. WE LOVE IT! 3.5 makes plenty of power, gas mileage is pretty good for a larger vehicle, plenty of room inside, rides like a Lincoln. It's a damn shame that this one didn't get better recognition than it deserves.

TaurusX085Large.jpg

TaurusX087Large.jpg

Too bad...They will end up being a steal on the used car market....

How does this sound? Edge lease is up end of January so I went out and about looking at replacing it, residual is too high given current market. Anyhow, stumbled across two 08 X's with all the bells and whistles: AWD, Leather, Nav, Overhead DVD, Power liftgate, moonroof etc etc.

The dealer is asking $24,990 for either one. 14 miles and 36 miles respectively but they have them listed as used because of some minor hail damage. Seems like it's too good to pass up, now the only decision I have is which one. What is the difference between a Limited and an Eddie Bauer? Personally, I like the monochrome look better but what other options do they have or not have? Can't find info on Ford's website, not able to build and price.

How does this sound? Edge lease is up end of January so I went out and about looking at replacing it, residual is too high given current market. Anyhow, stumbled across two 08 X's with all the bells and whistles: AWD, Leather, Nav, Overhead DVD, Power liftgate, moonroof etc etc.

The dealer is asking $24,990 for either one. 14 miles and 36 miles respectively but they have them listed as used because of some minor hail damage. Seems like it's too good to pass up, now the only decision I have is which one. What is the difference between a Limited and an Eddie Bauer? Personally, I like the monochrome look better but what other options do they have or not have? Can't find info on Ford's website, not able to build and price.

This is for the 09, but the 09 is barely different than the 08. Be aware that some of the early 08 did not have Sync. The memory seats/mirrors and the upgraded stereo are very worth while as is the reversing sensors. I also prefer the monochromatic paint job.

This is the upgrades listed from the Eddie Bauer to the Limited

Crossover comfort and utility with top-of-the-line luxury.

Listed below are some of the key features included in the Taurus X Limited, in addition to or in place of those in the Taurus X Eddie Bauer:

# Perforated leather-trimmed 1st- and 2nd-row seats

# 8-way power driver seat with memory settings

# 2nd-row center console (with standard 40/40 split seats)

# Premium Sound System with AM/FM stereo/clock/in-dash 6-disc CD changer/MP3 capability, eight speakers and a subwoofer

# Reverse Sensing System

# Power-adjustable brake/accelerator pedals with memory

# Universal garage door opener

# Power heated exterior mirrors with memory; security approach lamps and chrome accents

# Cargo net

# Painted monochromatic cladding with chrome accents (mirrors and door handles)

http://www.fordvehicles.com/crossovers/Tau...dels/index.asp#

This is for the 09, but the 09 is barely different than the 08. Be aware that some of the early 08 did not have Sync. The memory seats/mirrors and the upgraded stereo are very worth while as is the reversing sensors. I also prefer the monochromatic paint job.

This is the upgrades listed from the Eddie Bauer to the Limited

Crossover comfort and utility with top-of-the-line luxury.

Listed below are some of the key features included in the Taurus X Limited, in addition to or in place of those in the Taurus X Eddie Bauer:

# Perforated leather-trimmed 1st- and 2nd-row seats

# 8-way power driver seat with memory settings

# 2nd-row center console (with standard 40/40 split seats)

# Premium Sound System with AM/FM stereo/clock/in-dash 6-disc CD changer/MP3 capability, eight speakers and a subwoofer

# Reverse Sensing System

# Power-adjustable brake/accelerator pedals with memory

# Universal garage door opener

# Power heated exterior mirrors with memory; security approach lamps and chrome accents

# Cargo net

# Painted monochromatic cladding with chrome accents (mirrors and door handles)

http://www.fordvehicles.com/crossovers/Tau...dels/index.asp#

Unfortunatly, neither have Sync, they were early runs.

Both have Nav so they both have Audiophile by default, don't they?

I only drove the Eddie Bauer (I am in Minnesota, neither had been driven for months and they needed a jump.) it did not have second row console. That would be a nice upgrade for the kids to keep their headsets and DVD's in.

Both had reverse sensor and I think only the Eddie Bauer had adjustable pedals which confused me. Is that not the third button on the left of the wheel near the headlamp?

No idea about GDO, I didn't think to look. Is it like Homelink on the visor? I can check the pictures online if you tell me where the button is.

I believe the Eddie Bauer had heated mirrors and it did have a cargo net. Very confusing for me. Thanks for the heads up.

What do you think about the value? Hail damage is hardly recognizable if you aren't notified of it. Doesn't bother me and could likely be fixed inexpensively I would presume.

Edited by DJ Starr

Unfortunatly, neither have Sync, they were early runs.

Both have Nav so they both have Audiophile by default, don't they?

I only drove the Eddie Bauer (I am in Minnesota, neither had been driven for months and they needed a jump.) it did not have second row console. That would be a nice upgrade for the kids to keep their headsets and DVD's in.

Both had reverse sensor and I think only the Eddie Bauer had adjustable pedals which confused me. Is that not the third button on the left of the wheel near the headlamp?

No idea about GDO, I didn't think to look. Is it like Homelink on the visor? I can check the pictures online if you tell me where the button is.

I believe the Eddie Bauer had heated mirrors and it did have a cargo net. Very confusing for me. Thanks for the heads up.

What do you think about the value? Hail damage is hardly recognizable if you aren't notified of it. Doesn't bother me and could likely be fixed inexpensively I would presume.

The Audiophile has 2 way speakers in each door and a six inch sub in the back, even with the Nav.

I just took a look at my window sticker, I have a loaded 2008 Limited AWD with Sync and with everything but Sirius, DVD Entertainment and the extra wood trim package (The steering wheel and shifter)

These are my options:

- Limited Convenience Package (mem adj pedals, univ garage opener, cargo net)

- Limited Ultimate Package (Heated 2nd row captains chairs, power fold 2nd row and power liftgate)

- Sunroof

- Aux climate control (Tri-zone HVAC)

- Nav

- Chrome wheels

So it looks like you can get a Limited without adjustable pedals. I have to say, The Taurus X is a great vehicle, it has a lot of room yet still handles like a car. The only complaint that my wife has about the vehicle is the firm suspension, we have this one twisty road near my house with an inconsistent level to road that tends to rock the car as you are going down into a valley. I think it is fun, but my wife says the ride is too rough. On the highway, the ride is quiet and smooth.

Good luck, I hope you get the car, you won't regret it.

The Audiophile has 2 way speakers in each door and a six inch sub in the back, even with the Nav.

I just took a look at my window sticker, I have a loaded 2008 Limited AWD with Sync and with everything but Sirius, DVD Entertainment and the extra wood trim package (The steering wheel and shifter)

These are my options:

- Limited Convenience Package (mem adj pedals, univ garage opener, cargo net)

- Limited Ultimate Package (Heated 2nd row captains chairs, power fold 2nd row and power liftgate)

- Sunroof

- Aux climate control (Tri-zone HVAC)

- Nav

- Chrome wheels

So it looks like you can get a Limited without adjustable pedals. I have to say, The Taurus X is a great vehicle, it has a lot of room yet still handles like a car. The only complaint that my wife has about the vehicle is the firm suspension, we have this one twisty road near my house with an inconsistent level to road that tends to rock the car as you are going down into a valley. I think it is fun, but my wife says the ride is too rough. On the highway, the ride is quiet and smooth.

I was considering the Tarsus X as a replacement for my wife's Passatt wagon. too bad it didn't survive as it would have been perfect and I'd rather have Ford's reliability than VW's dismal quality and reliability.

Probably just get another Escapr....

Good luck, I hope you get the car, you won't regret it.

• 3 weeks later...

I will mourn the loss of the Taurus -X I see alot more of them on the roads here in Maryland than I see the Flex. I have seen one flex in the past year here. I am noticing 3-4 Taurus-Xs a day in an area where it isn't uncommon to see 4-5 Odysseys at a stop light.

I rented a Taurus-X and was really impressed, I believe Ford has the best business strategy of any American auto maker, but I do think they have made the wrong call on discontinuing the Taurus-X.

I'll be buying a vehicle with the capacity of a Taurus-X / Flex soon. I am going to be objective about it candidates are; a used Taurus-X, Flex, and mini-vans from Honda, Toyota, Hyundai.

I'll let you know.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Shockingly saw a TaurusX advertisement.

I was reading Toyota first quarter loss on New York Times web site, shockingly saw a small ad for the TaurusX with little motion introduction.

You know, Ford spent very little (number wise) to advertise the Freestar, Freestyle, Montego, Sable, 2008Taurus and TaurusX,etc. TaurusX's production is coming to an end, just very surprised to see the introduction ad at this time! :reading:

• 3 weeks later...

I purchased a loaded 2009 Taurus X LTD AWD after turning in a 2006 FreeStyle at the end of its lease.

I gotta say that the Taurus X is a much needed improvement over the FreeStyle !!!

I got everything except the DVD Entertainment and NAV system.

I didn't think they were worth the extra $4,000.

The WOOD TRIM upgrade puts genuine imitation simulated wood grain inserts

in the steering wheel, central dash board, shifter, and all FOUR doors !!!

I love the new ride and my wife loves the tailgate opener.

Too bad the Flex had to be.

The Taurus X is actually a MUCH BETTER vehicle to drive.

It is faster than most CUVs on the road,

and faster than most rice burners too !!!

Sad that Ford DIDN'T market this one. GREAT CUV. Bought an AWD Limited for the wife back in July. WE LOVE IT! 3.5 makes plenty of power, gas mileage is pretty good for a larger vehicle, plenty of room inside, rides like a Lincoln. It's a damn shame that this one didn't get better recognition than it deserves.

TaurusX085Large.jpg

TaurusX087Large.jpg

Well, Freestyle didn't recieve much advertisement (and the little it did, quite honestly sucked). By the time it was "replaced" by the Taurus X in 2008, Flex was almost finished, and about to be launched. With the two vehicles being so similar, and one arguably being nicer (and newer), and certainly more distinctive, TX got the plug, which led to no advertising.

I agree, though that it (and the Five Hundred) would've sold better from the get-go (in 2005) had there been more publicity about it (them). They were both great cars stuck in plain-jane (but good looking) wrappers. Now we've got Flex and the new Taurus to solve that plain-jane "problem." :lol: