Ford Recall Summary

After all the doom-and-gloom I thought I would compile a list of Ford models that have been recalled since 2001. I compiled the list using a combination of AllData and NHTSA data. I'm sure there's a couple missing here and there and several of them are multiple-vehicle recalls, but it paints a pretty clear picture anyway.

If the decreasing number moving forward doesn't cheer you up, I don't know what will....

2001:

Crown Victoria: 6

Focus: 8

Mustang: 2

Taurus: 10

E-series: 4

Escape: 9

Excursion: 6

Explorer: 4

F-150: 7

Super Duty: 5

Ranger: 3

Windstar: 10

Total Recalls: 74

2002:

Crown Victoria: 3

Focus: 4

Mustang: 1

Taurus: 4

Thunderbird: 2

E-series: 4

Escape: 5

Excursion: 4

Expedition: 1

Explorer: 4

F-150: 1

Super Duty: 3

Ranger: 2

Windstar: 2

Total Recalls: 40

2003:

Crown Victoria: 6

Focus: 1

Taurus: 4

E-series: 2

Escape: 4

Excursion: 7

Explorer: 3

Super Duty: 5

Windstar: 1

Total Recalls: 36

2004:

Taurus: 1

Thunderbird: 1

Escape: 3

Excursion: 5

Explorer: 1

F-150: 2

Super Duty: 6

Freestar: 2

Ranger: 2

Total Recalls: 31

2005:

Five Hundred: 2

Focus: 2

GT: 1

Thunderbird: 1

Escape: 2

Excursion: 2

Super Duty: 3

Freestar: 1

Freestyle: 2

Total Recalls: 21

2006:

Taurus: 1

E-series: 3

Escape: 2

Expedition: 2

Explorer: 2

Super Duty: 1

Freestar: 1

Freestyle: 2

Ranger: 1

Total Recalls: 18

2007:

Crown Victoria: 2

Super Duty: 1

Total Recalls: 11

2008:

Crown Victoria: 1

Super Duty: 4

Total Recalls: 10

TOTALS:

2001: 74

2002: 40

2003: 36

2004: 31

2005: 21

2006: 18

2007: 11

2008: 10

Extrapolate from this what you will. I found it to be pretty dramatic.

Take that, negatards. :P

BTW, did you exclude aftermarket recalls from those totals?

Based on the descriptions I saw for most of them, they all looked to be manufacturer recalls. As I said in the opening though, I might be off by one or two here and there.

Oh, and I was going to go back through 2000, but like you mentioned, I got far too impatient to go any further. :lol:

Hmm... no brand-new nameplates have had recalls since 2005.

Well, there have only been a few. Edge, Fusion, and the barely-out Flex. Still a good showing though. Edge and Fusion have been put through the paces by now.

Don't some TSBs lead to recalls.

Sometimes.

Edited by NickF1011

I wonder how many of the SD's 2008 recalls were because of Navistar crap diesels. If you could throw all 4 out, that number is crazy low. Good crazy...

A LOT of those were diesel-related, for all years of the Super Duty I looked up. The 7.3 wasn't exactly as recall-free as people want to remember it being either.

A bunch of the recalls also were on pretty much every single 4.6, 4.0, and 3.8 -powered vehicle in the lineup. Something about an EGR tube relocation. I never even heard about that recall, but it looks like it hit a TON of vehicles.

I know in the regulatory eves arecall is a recall is a recall but,

From what i've read especially over the past three years, recall issues are flagged for items that have the potential might cause a catastrophic event. Having said that, it seems that recall issues have moved on from imminent failuere events to potential failure events.

It seems this point really goes unnoticed in the recall data collated but speaks well of the

underlying efforts of Ford to engineer out primary sources of hazards that used to occurr.

Of course some of these recalls listed don't impact the entire model year lineup.

Example would be my '06 F150. Even though you listed 2 recalls, my truck hasn't been part of either. Basically being built within a window that wasn't effected by the component being recalled.

Either way, I like the way those numbers are going!

But I have a question. I notice the '06 F150 has a total of 5 recalls. So I don't know if your research is displaying each and every recall.

1) Brake Booster (NHTSA Campaign Number: 08V208000)

2) Continental Tires (NHTSA Campaign Number: 05T022000)

3) Windshield Wiper Motor (NHTSA Campaign Number: 05V520000)

4) ABS Gauge Light (NHTSA Campaign Number: 06V033000)

5) Some Anzo combination headlamp assemblies (NHTSA Campaign Number: 06E023000)

Which again, my '06 hasn't been impacted by any of those listed.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/recalls/recall..../y-2006/d-F-150

Edited by V8-X

Ive seen a few TSBs for the fusion, surprised they are no recalls. Don't some TSBs lead to recalls.

A few? I looked at the list and there are like 30. The only reason the Fusion doesn't have any recalls is because none are safety related. I was honestly disappointed when I saw the TSB list after purchasing my Fusion.

A few? I looked at the list and there are like 30. The only reason the Fusion doesn't have any recalls is because none are safety related. I was honestly disappointed when I saw the TSB list after purchasing my Fusion.

I counted 26 for the 2007 Fusion. By comparison, there are 23 for the 2007 Camry.

I'm sorry but at least 3 of 4 2008 Super Duty Recalls are not from Navistar. It's the truck itself.

1. Seat rail weld.

2. Fuel tank strap.

3. Venturi for radiator

4. ?

There are TSB's for the radiators leaking, Headlamps fogged up, Trailer hitch wiring, and tons for ECM issues (irradic idle, cruise control, DPF regens, etc....)

Edited by Hydro

Recalls aren't specifically safety related. If they can lead to a significant failure, it can lead to a recall, even if that failure isn't safety related. the fact that none of the TSB's for the Fusion have yet been elevated to that level says something. Besides, even 30 TSB's really isn't that many. I'm pretty sure my Cobra has well over 100 now -- half of which are simply procedure advisories, nothing specifically to do with the vehicle itself.

Of course some of these recalls listed don't impact the entire model year lineup.

Example would be my '06 F150. Even though you listed 2 recalls, my truck hasn't been part of either. Basically being built within a window that wasn't effected by the component being recalled.

Either way, I like the way those numbers are going!

But I have a question. I notice the '06 F150 has a total of 5 recalls. So I don't know if your research is displaying each and every recall.

1) Brake Booster (NHTSA Campaign Number: 08V208000)

2) Continental Tires (NHTSA Campaign Number: 05T022000)

3) Windshield Wiper Motor (NHTSA Campaign Number: 05V520000)

4) ABS Gauge Light (NHTSA Campaign Number: 06V033000)

5) Some Anzo combination headlamp assemblies (NHTSA Campaign Number: 06E023000)

Which again, my '06 hasn't been impacted by any of those listed.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/recalls/recall..../y-2006/d-F-150

Well, I really broke the list down in the simplest terms I could. I wasn't about to go looking at how many of each vehicle were effected by each recall. As I said, I'm sure I missed a couple here and there also.

Well, I really broke the list down in the simplest terms I could. I wasn't about to go looking at how many of each vehicle were effected by each recall. As I said, I'm sure I missed a couple here and there also.

Don't know if you need user access, but this site provides the most detailed list of TSBs and Recalls that I can find.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/navrecalltsb.html

Recalls aren't specifically safety related.

actually, they are.

My Sable had a recall on the front coil springs because when they snap they have a tendency to puncture the front tires. However, the rear coil springs had exactly the same problem (they weren't properly electroplated for corrosion resistance), but no recall. The NHTSA investigated the front and rear coils, and only recalled the front coils.