Global Ford CEO backs Aussie Falcon but it may be FWD

jpd80

Here's an interesting Australia report on Alan Mulally's visit to Australia this week

Link

Some interesting bits:

However, Mr Mulally yesterday revealed that the RWD program was in doubt when he was asked whether fuel economy concerns could see it be replaced with a front-drive or all-wheel drive architecture.

“We haven’t decided that yet, but you are absolutely touching on the essence of it,” he said.

“Rear-wheel drive has some unique capabilities, but it will be yet to be determined whether we keep our unique rear-wheel drive or whether the bigger sedans will need to (be) all-wheel drive or front-wheel drive.”

Asked whether he had a preference for front or rear-wheel drive, Mr Mulally said: “No thoughts yet, it will be driven by what the customer wants and values and especially the fuel economy and the performance.”

After answering a series of questions about whether future Falcons would be RWD, Mr Mulally remarked: “You guys are obsessed with this front and rear-wheel drive.”

Then he added: “The front-wheel drive and all-wheel drives are pretty spectacular and they are going to continue to get better.”

When asked about export potential for the Falcon, Mr Mulally indicated it could be sold around the world, but did not specify whether such a vehicle would be a Falcon or simply a Falcon equivalent that could be produced in the US.

“I think the Falcon is a dynamite vehicle first of all and there is going to be a significant market worldwide for the Falcon,” he said.

“Right now, the Falcon is for Australia. We also have an equivalent of the Falcon in the United States and around the world. Now, this leads us to the Ford plan going forward because clearly the real strategy of Ford is to bring together the intellectual capability, the assets of Ford worldwide.

“So part of our plan, we call it One Ford, is to leverage these assets so that over time we will have world-class vehicles in every market segment size including the larger vehicles, so that over time they will become global platforms and then the possibilities are endless because you get the scale up you get the volume up.”

Asked again about actual Falcon exports and when such a program might begin, Mr Mulally indicated that Ford may not necessarily export the Falcon but merely the engineering knowledge behind it – as is currently the case of the T6 Ranger ute being developed in Victoria.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

However, Mr Mulally yesterday revealed that the RWD program was in doubt when he was asked whether fuel economy concerns could see it be replaced with a front-drive or all-wheel drive architecture.

4x4's gas guzzlers are getting banned from the streets of Europe, BMW & Fiat both 100 MPG RWD fuel efficient cars planned for the future :lol: LOL

I like this bit:

Asked whether he had a preference for front or rear-wheel drive, Mr Mulally said:

“No thoughts yet, it will be driven by what the customer wants and values

and especially the fuel economy and the performance.”

4x4's gas guzzlers are getting banned from the streets of Europe, BMW & Fiat both 100 MPG RWD fuel efficient cars planned for the future :lol: LOL

They won't be banned, they will become toys of the rich who can afford the taxes and charges.

You and T'Stang will ride wipper snipper powered tricycles except T'Stangs will have a LR badge.:)

Edited by jpd80

I like this bit:

They won't be banned, they will become toys of the rich who can afford the taxes and charges.

You and T'Stang will ride wipper snipper powered tricycles except T'Stangs will have a LR badge. :)

Car buyers have no choice from FOE only Hobsons choice imposed by Ford on us, the RWD Falcon out sells the FWD Mondeo on a 7:1 where you have a choice no doubt Ford being Ford will shut down the Falcon line giving the buyer the best choice - Hobsons choice.

Car buyers have no choice from FOE only Hobsons choice imposed by Ford on us, the RWD Falcon out sells the FWD Mondeo on a 7:1 where you have a choice no doubt Ford being Ford will shut down the Falcon line giving the buyer the best choice - Hobsons choice.

WTF does this topic have to do with the Mondeo? Drop it already.

WTF does this topic have to do with the Mondeo? Drop it already.

It has a lot to do with it, if we were given a choice and not Hobsons choice in Europe, most folk would would buy a updated RWD Cortina than a shitty Mondeo. The Aussies have proved the point the bigger Falcon should not be out selling a smaller more fuel efficient Mondeo the Falcon is bucking market trends it outs sell the Mondeo 7:1. The market PROVES Aussies want RWD Ford will listen to what the buyer wants and give them FWD instead.

It not hard to see why Ford have lost 50% of their sales in the UK between 1981 and 2002.

So what happened with the GRWD program? Are they opting out of it?

Well, as it appears, as the Falcon goes, so goes the world. So if the Falcon sticks with RWD (do you really see any other possibility?) then the rest of the world will see a RWD platform available to it as well.

It has a lot to do with it, if we were given a choice and not Hobsons choice in Europe, most folk would would buy a updated RWD Cortina than a shitty Mondeo. The Aussies have proved the point the bigger Falcon should not be out selling a smaller more fuel efficient Mondeo the Falcon is bucking market trends it outs sell the Mondeo 7:1. The market PROVES Aussies want RWD Ford will listen to what the buyer wants and give them FWD instead.

It not hard to see why Ford have lost 50% of their sales in the UK between 1981 and 2002.

RIchard!!!!!

He needs a time out.

My impression from Mullaly's statements is the following:

The existing Falcon is a cool car that is doing decently in its home market.

We haven't decided on which platform the next gen falcon will be based on.

We have three platforms already that fit this particular market segment (size class) in use globaly

We have every intention of consolidating those into one platform.

That platform will be either FWD/AWD or RWD (though, we're leaning towards FWD/AWD since today's FWD/AWD platforms are amazing and getting better every day).

So, using ye old S.W.A.G.o'meter, I'm going to project that the Falcon will eventually merge with whichever platform that Mondeo/Fusion consolidate on for its next generation and the only RWD cars (not trucks) left in Ford's global brand stable will be the Mustang and any derivatives there-of (MKR, etc). Any thoughts of getting the RWD falcon platform here are what they always were, a pipe-dream. Any thoughts of keeping the Falcon RWD in the long run are also a pipe dream. First, you get corporate electronics. Then you get corporate engines. Finally, you get corporate platforms.

Better hope revo-knuckle really is all that. ;)

My impression from Mullaly's statements is the following:

The existing Falcon is a cool car that is doing decently in its home market.

We haven't decided on which platform the next gen falcon will be based on.

We have three platforms already that fit this particular market segment (size class) in use globaly

We have every intention of consolidating those into one platform.

That platform will be either FWD/AWD or RWD (though, we're leaning towards FWD/AWD since today's FWD/AWD platforms are amazing and getting better every day).

So, using ye old S.W.A.G.o'meter, I'm going to project that the Falcon will eventually merge with whichever platform that Mondeo/Fusion consolidate on for its next generation and the only RWD cars (not trucks) left in Ford's global brand stable will be the Mustang and any derivatives there-of (MKR, etc). Any thoughts of getting the RWD falcon platform here are what they always were, a pipe-dream. Any thoughts of keeping the Falcon RWD in the long run are also a pipe dream. First, you get corporate electronics. Then you get corporate engines. Finally, you get corporate platforms.

Better hope revo-knuckle really is all that. ;)

Falcon? Merge with Fusion/Mondeo? You do realize you're talking about two COMPLETELY different sized vehicles here right? Maybe going forward, Ford will merge the Expedition platform with the Escape too. :rolleyes:

Falcon? Merge with Fusion/Mondeo? You do realize you're talking about two COMPLETELY different sized vehicles here right? Maybe going forward, Ford will merge the Expedition platform with the Escape too. :rolleyes:

Truth on M :censored: nde :censored: 500 sales hurt a bit Nick in Post 11 touched a nerve, no doubt Ford will choose a sales winning platform based on loser.

Truth on M :censored: nde :censored: 500 sales hurt a bit Nick in Post 11 touched a nerve, no doubt Ford will choose a sales winning platform based on loser.

:blah: :blah:

Taurus and Falcon merging I could see as a realistic possibility, being that they are of similar size and role already. Beyond that, you're making no sense at all.

:blah: :blah:

Taurus and Falcon merging I could see as a realistic possibility, being that they are of similar size and role already. Beyond that, you're making no sense at all.

Ford need to offer something other than boring FWD in Europe "Hobsons Choice" is just not enough l would be glad of a RWD Taurus or Falcon.

I bet when Alan Mulally when he retires will go back to driving a mass winner of JD Power award RWD Lexus again Nick.

Edited by NickF1011
Masking it with emoticons don't make it any less appropriate.

Ford need to offer something other than boring FWD in Europe "Hobsons Choice" is just not enough l would be glad of a RWD Taurus or Falcon.

I bet when Alan Mulally when he retires will go back to driving a mass winner of JD Power award RWD Lexus again Nick.

So which is it? Is it the body shape, or is it the drivetrain configuration that makes it boring? After all, the Falcon doesn't exactly have an upright in-your-face body design like Fords of the past now, does it?

So which is it? Is it the body shape, or is it the drivetrain configuration that makes it boring? After all, the Falcon doesn't exactly have an upright in-your-face body design like Fords of the past now, does it?

personally I think it would be a mistake not to adress a RWD platform. The Mustang needs it and will never be anything BUT RWD, and Ford needs a flagship complete with a "go to hell economy" engine...Ford seems to be putting all its eggs in one basket again with FWD/ AWD and eco just like they did prior with SUV's etc when that is the way the public headed. A pltfor with the control blade IRS could be utilized by said flagship and Mustang probably relitively easily and kill 2 birds with one stone AND give the the Stang IRS...yehah! As much as I can embrace FWD/AWD I do veiw AWD as a baind aid when high HP engines are utilized...sure aplles to apples they may be superior...but there is a LOT to be said for a good plain old RWD with a healthy whack of HP driving just plain old rear tires....hasn't hurt MB or BMW much has it?

personally I think it would be a mistake not to adress a RWD platform. The Mustang needs it and will never be anything BUT RWD, and Ford needs a flagship complete with a "go to hell economy" engine...Ford seems to be putting all its eggs in one basket again with FWD/ AWD and eco just like they did prior with SUV's etc when that is the way the public headed. A pltfor with the control blade IRS could be utilized by said flagship and Mustang probably relitively easily and kill 2 birds with one stone AND give the the Stang IRS...yehah! As much as I can embrace FWD/AWD I do veiw AWD as a baind aid when high HP engines are utilized...sure aplles to apples they may be superior...but there is a LOT to be said for a good plain old RWD with a healthy whack of HP driving just plain old rear tires....hasn't hurt MB or BMW much has it?

Oh I completely agree. I'd definitely like to see the return of a RWD Ford flagship sedan (sorry folks, the CV isn't a flagship in anyone's book anymore) with in-your-face American looks with a kiss-my-bumper engine under the hood. There's room for it in the lineup I think, so long as they develop it with limited sales in mind and don't expect it to replace the midsize sedan.

Oh I completely agree. I'd definitely like to see the return of a RWD Ford flagship sedan (sorry folks, the CV isn't a flagship in anyone's book anymore) with in-your-face American looks with a kiss-my-bumper engine under the hood. There's room for it in the lineup I think, so long as they develop it with limited sales in mind and don't expect it to replace the midsize sedan.
think a refined Interceptor.....5.0 possibly....even if they remain hung up on Eco boost a 3.5 TT w 400hp doesn't sound too bad either....kinda like twintornados thoughts too....the new Taurus needs a big brother....

I have a hunch that the Global Rear Wheel Drive chassis will morph into a chassis that will accommodate all iterations...FWD, RWD, as well as AWD.

Seems like the best smart way to go, but l can't see Ford doing it as they are not interested in selling cars anymore all they want to do is force cheap and chearful to build FWD crap down the buyers throats, "Hobsons Choice" no choice.