Ford says Mercury brand important part of line-up

Ford Motor Co's Mercury brand is an important part of the U.S. automaker's line-up and the company is continuing to invest in the nameplate, Mark Fields, Ford's president of the Americas, said on Monday.

"It is an important part of the stable of brands," Fields told reporters at an event promoting the new Lincoln MKS sedan in Garden City, Michigan.

http://www.reuters.com/article/pressReleas...929615120080610

Edited by zipnzap

CNBC reported the same thing.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/25068495/for/cnbc/

Mercury have the highest quality rating in the Ford group in the JD Power survey, higher rated than Honda, Audi and BMW not something you would wan't to give up on.

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/06/04/j-dd-po...-quality-study/

Edited by Ford Jellymoulds

CNBC reported the same thing.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/25068495/for/cnbc/

Mercury have the highest quality rating in the Ford group in the JD Power survey, higher rated than Honda, Audi and BMW not something you would wan't to give up on.

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/06/04/j-dd-po...-quality-study/

Customers are not stupid and don't give a crap about Mercury because it is just a reskinned Ford at a higher price.

Mercury could never survive as a stand alone company, and at this point in time, Ford is making one for Ford and one for Mercury, which is as much of a wasted effort as making one for Europe and one for the USA.

Customers are not stupid and don't give a crap about Mercury because it is just a reskinned Ford at a higher price.

Mercury could never survive as a stand alone company, and at this point in time, Ford is making one for Ford and one for Mercury, which is as much of a wasted effort as making one for Europe and one for the USA.

If Ford sold the Mondeo or Focus CC as a Mercury they would sell more in the US than they do in Europe. Mercury sold 500,000 European mK1 & 2 Capri's back in the 70's in the US.

Sounds like Honda/Acura and Toyota/Lexus.

at this point in time, Ford is making one for Ford and one for Mercury

Making one "what" for Ford and making one "what" for Mercury?

I sure wish Ford would make a definitive statement soon about future of Mercury. This constant rumor mongering year after year is not good for dealerships affected, and prospective customers. Ford statements about Mercury so far have done nothing to quiet the rumors down. I'm sure Mercury is losing some sales over the constant press reports speculating about its demise. Here, Mark Fields is at Metropolitan Lincoln/Mercry dealership in Metro Detroit to introduce the new MKS and main question is not about MKS, but about whether Mercury will survive. You just wonder how much longer Ford is going to stretch out this negative speculation. Not good.

Well, the only way that I see Mercury going the way of the dodo bird would be a much stronger Lincoln. It's the only way it's going to happen. On top of that I am sure there are a ton of what ifs that still need to be a addressed. Mercury no longer has a small car (and it needs one now) and their current lineup is....well....lacking. Quite frankly Ford missed the boat on this one. Whether it was due to: the lack of capital, simple mismanagement or both, the brand has gone without a real cause for a LONG time.

Ford still has a chance and doesn't have the fiscal weight of Jaguar/LR/AM on the company's shoulders. Thus I have a little faith

Unfortunately, I am more and more convinced that they are just trying to NOT announce Mercury's demise until later

Excaclty, though you have wonder about the stragety of doing so, the vast majority of dealerships are Lincoln AND Mercury...I dont see any reason why a dealership can't just survie on Lincoln, esp if they are offering a large lineup like they are supposed to be getting. Though it doesnt make much sense to "choke off" Mercury either because most dealerships are also Lincoln dealerships

Excaclty, though you have wonder about the stragety of doing so, the vast majority of dealerships are Lincoln AND Mercury...I dont see any reason why a dealership can't just survie on Lincoln, esp if they are offering a large lineup like they are supposed to be getting. Though it doesnt make much sense to "choke off" Mercury either because most dealerships are also Lincoln dealerships

I think the last stand-alone Mercury dealer closed late last year. Thus all are paired with Lincoln or Ford and Lincoln or some other make. As more product is developed for Lincoln, the rationale for the brand is fading as rapidly as its sales. As Ford consolidates its retail outlets, many Ford and Lincoln stores may merge.

Back in my hometown in Minnesota it was a Ford/Lincoln/Mercury dealership since the 60s.

Rather than rebadging Fords as Mercurys, why not decontent and use different grills/tail lights, etc. on the MK series to a Mercury? A Sable off the MKS would be more unique and spread the cost for the differences. Weren't the early 50s Mercs (James Dean) bases off the Cosmo?

2 or 3 Lincoln/Mercury dealers have merged with Ford dealers in metro Atlanta in the last 2-3 years alone. It's been happening for awhile now.

I know a local dealer here just consolidated into Ford/Lincoln/Mercury from separate Ford and Lincoln/Mercury dealers.

Rather than rebadging Fords as Mercurys, why not decontent and use different grills/tail lights, etc. on the MK series to a Mercury? A Sable off the MKS would be more unique and spread the cost for the differences.

That idea has been thrown around here before.....not a horrible idea, but the Mercury offering would have to be different enough to not be a badge job. Lesser powertrains than the Lincoln, etc. would need to be in order.