Mercury dead by 2012

Of course ALL Ford's plans post 2012 are pretty hazy..... And this really isn't news the Freep or the Detroit News had this some time in 2007, IIRC.

No, they're specifically talking about Mercury, obviously they've stuff in the pipeline for Ford & Lincoln.

Last time suppliers uttered similar statements, the Magellan got the axe.

Suppliers are the best internal sources you can have.

Edited by pcsario

Ford doesn't have the first clue what is in store for Mercury...how could the suppliers?

Which is why all this day-in/day-out Mercury speculation is stupid. The media will take any scrap or rumor and try to make a story out of it.

The fact that Fields keeps dismissing the rumors almost as soon as they start must say something. Just because the suppliers haven't heard of any new product through 2012 doesn't mean jack. Maybe 2013 they'll have something. Maybe Ford is creating a new image for Mercury and has tight wraps on it (like many of the new concepts and releases have had lately). Maybe they're just focusing on Lincoln in the short-term. Who knows, who cares...until it comes from Ford, it's just speculation.

Isn't that the type of thinking(short term) that put Ford N.A. in the position it is trying to dig itself out of?

Yes it is. I was there when the strategic decision was made to walk away from cars as a focus (no pun intended) of the business. Ford thought that since they couldn't be competitive then they would invest in that part of the business. What they had a hard time understanding (and I can name names) was that they couldn't be competitive BECAUSE they would invest in the business. The thinking was that you put your investment into where you were making your profits, and since all the profits were made by the trucks (F150, Explorer, Expidition, etc.) that's where the money would go.

Isn't that the type of thinking(short term) that put Ford N.A. in the position it is trying to dig itself out of?

Ford has 3 patients on life support. They only have enough medicine to cure 2. They could spread it out to all 3 but then none of the 3 would be cured and they would all remain on life support. Or you can give the medicine to 2 of them, cure them, and hope the other one survives long enough to get more medicine. If it doesn't then at least you saved 2.

In order for Ford to survive, they MUST fix Ford and Lincoln. Mercury is expendable if necessary. But I really don't think they'll decide about Mercury until they get further along with the Ford/Lincoln recovery. If they can get Ford and Lincoln volumes up (especially Lincoln) then they can do something different with Mercury since it won't be required to supply volume to the Lincoln/Mercury dealers.

With no full size RWD sedan, they may as well kill Mercury.

My bet is Mercury dies with the Grand Marquis, which is only fitting. The only decision for me is how long should I wait before ordering my final Grand Marquis. If they strip too much out of them, I'll buy a used Town Car.

Ford has 3 patients on life support. They only have enough medicine to cure 2. They could spread it out to all 3 but then none of the 3 would be cured and they would all remain on life support. Or you can give the medicine to 2 of them, cure them, and hope the other one survives long enough to get more medicine. If it doesn't then at least you saved 2.

In order for Ford to survive, they MUST fix Ford and Lincoln. Mercury is expendable if necessary. But I really don't think they'll decide about Mercury until they get further along with the Ford/Lincoln recovery. If they can get Ford and Lincoln volumes up (especially Lincoln) then they can do something different with Mercury since it won't be required to supply volume to the Lincoln/Mercury dealers.

That's what I think (you just said it better!). They'll get around to Mercury after Ford and Lincoln are more secure. My then they'll give it a "voice".