2009 Taurus Order Guide

ice-capades

I know this was the same last year, but looking through the order guide I noticed 18/28 city/hwy fuel economy for the Taurus while the Fusion gets 18/26. This is crazy considering the Fusion weighs 416lbs less than the Taurus. The PIP 3.0L better get a significant jump in fuel economy. Does anyone know the weights of the Duratec 30 and 35? (How much more does the 35 weigh?)

it is not about the weight - it is about the gearing - the Fusion uses Mazda/Aisin transmissions geared by Mazda for performance - and it shows. I am just driving a tester Fusion and the gearing is incredibly low ... the 2010 Fusion with the 2.5l and the PIP D30 is to get new transmissions - in house Ford design - and I predict a MUCH taller gearing.

Blue II once said that the reason PIP D30 survived was 1 extra MPG compared to the D35 - I assume we will see 29mpg hwy from the Fusion this winter.

Igor

interesting that they added the SE series, that surprised me. I bet the reason is to simplify the ordering process by bundling popular features like auto-climate control and 6cd changer that were optional on the previous SEL model. I always found it odd that the Fusion SE had a 6cd changer yet the Taurus SEL had only a singel cd. To me the inclusion of a std 6 cd changer on the Fusion SE (essentially the base model) is a huge selling point for the car.

interesting that they added the SE series, that surprised me. I bet the reason is to simplify the ordering process by bundling popular features like auto-climate control and 6cd changer that were optional on the previous SEL model. I always found it odd that the Fusion SE had a 6cd changer yet the Taurus SEL had only a singel cd. To me the inclusion of a std 6 cd changer on the Fusion SE (essentially the base model) is a huge selling point for the car.

It looks to me as if the '09 SE is the same as the base '08 SEL, but with the addition of ESC, and with only limited options available. The '09 SEL is equipped like an '08 SEL, but with the addition of Sirius and the Interior Convenience Package.

We bought an '08 SEL with ESC (and nothing else). It wasn't easy to find one equipped with ESC, so I am glad it is standard on the '09. This is a positive development.

When will we learn pricing on the '09s?

• 1 month later...