Revised Head on 4.6?

randy_tho

Is it true that late 07 and all 08s have a new design that use a fully threaded spark plug?

They have used a fully threaded plug for some time. That was to correct the problem that some had with the plugs popping out. The problem of not being able to get the plugs out came from the strange plug design used on the 3V heads. There is a procedure to remove this type of plugs during changing. A conventional plug design is now in use, though I don't know when the changeover happened.

Edited by suv_guy_19

The problem of not being able to get the plugs out came from the strange plug design used on the 3V heads.

Yes, the plug design looks "strange" but that is only because of the extended tip design required to get the plug into the chamber. There is very little space left with 3 valves in there !

There is a procedure to remove this type of plugs during changing. A conventional plug design is now in use, though I don't know when the changeover happened.

Are you referring to the 3 valve using a new plug design ?

I was referring to a new cast for the head that started in late 07 and 08 that uses a fully threaded plug and not one with the shaft that gets stuck and comes apart.

I'm speaking specifically of the Mustang 4.6 but I think it is the same head cast as the 5.4 found in the pickup.

http://www.modularfords.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106090

Also this says they started in Oct 08. I hope not. My Mustang was made in Aug/Sep.

http://f150online.com/forums/showthread.php?t=320674

Edited by randy_tho