Next Nissan Maxima

ANTAUS

Only generation I liked has been the 95-00 era. Then something "weird' occured for the 2000-04, current one looks a bit odd still, and this one is also out there...Has a Scion Tc in the grille opening, just the bars on it remind me of Inifiniti, with an Accord butt. INside is very Inifiniti, they really should divide those styling teams so we dont have "more of the same"...

Well, given the commonality of hte styling themes anyway, the interiors were bound to cross over in the Maxima, its supposedly a near luxury sports sedan. I like the overall improvement to the looks with this iteration, though, it still looks much like an overgrown altima. What I'm most interested in is, does it have AWD? I'm also interested in if they will give it appreciably more engine than the Altima has available. It would seem to me that this vehicle would definitely do well with a VQ37 with some bells and whistles to get it near 300hp and 280 lbs of torque. As heavy as its likely to be, it'll need it.

Only generation I liked has been the 95-00 era. Then something "weird' occured for the 2000-04, current one looks a bit odd still, and this one is also out there...Has a Scion Tc in the grille opening, just the bars on it remind me of Inifiniti, with an Accord butt. INside is very Inifiniti, they really should divide those styling teams so we dont have "more of the same"...

That's pretty much the generation I liked as well. Almost bought one.

None of that car is for me.

Nissan is going to need to further differentiate their newer Nissans from Infinitis (especially interior wise), because they are getting entirely too close to one another. I'm not really happy about that, and as much as people go on and on about Lincoln around here Nissan is really no better in some aspects.

If they keep that up, I will pass on their future product. You don't get in a CTS and instantly think oh look that center stack is straight out of a Malibu ditto that with Toyota and Lexus. Infiniti should not be an exception.

definitely do well with a VQ37 with some bells and whistles to get it near 300hp and 280 lbs of torque.

Those numbers puts it squarely in Infiniti territory. I cant see them doing that. It would shock me if it had the VQ37 or if it was more than 280HP.

Nissan is going to need to further differentiate their newer Nissans from Infinitis (especially interior wise), because they are getting entirely too close to one another.

I have to say i agree with Reynolds on this one.

Edited by Ford??-LOL!

The REALLY sad part about the simmilarities between the Nissans and Infinitis is that, under the skin, they barely resemble each other. Yes, the QX56 is the Armada, and the G35/M35/FX35/EX35 all share the same platform as is under the 350Z (though, now iterated forward one generation in the infinitis), but, infiniti is exclusively RWD. Nissan cars are all FWD (save for the 350z) with the possibility of AWD coming to some of them soon. The FM platform shares nothing with the Altima platform used in the Murano, quest, altima and maxima. So, they had to intentionally go out and make the sheetmetal look the same. There's no mechanical reason that the Altima coupe has to look that much like the G35/37 coupe.

As for the power being in the infiniti range, it may be (the ranges were never that far apart anyway) but, given the size and weight of the maxima, and the need to differentiate it from the Altima, that's where the power needs to be. The power to weight will be in the neighborhood of where the Altima SE-R is, but will still drive the wrong wheels from an infiniti standpoint.

Currently, out of Nissan's portfolio, I am most interested in the G35S, but wish it was available with the same powertrain and suspension as exists in the G37 coupe.

The REALLY sad part about the simmilarities between the Nissans and Infinitis is that, under the skin, they barely resemble each other. Yes, the QX56 is the Armada, and the G35/M35/FX35/EX35 all share the same platform as is under the 350Z (though, now iterated forward one generation in the infinitis), but, infiniti is exclusively RWD. Nissan cars are all FWD (save for the 350z) with the possibility of AWD coming to some of them soon. The FM platform shares nothing with the Altima platform used in the Murano, quest, altima and maxima. So, they had to intentionally go out and make the sheetmetal look the same. There's no mechanical reason that the Altima coupe has to look that much like the G35/37 coupe.

As for the power being in the infiniti range, it may be (the ranges were never that far apart anyway) but, given the size and weight of the maxima, and the need to differentiate it from the Altima, that's where the power needs to be. The power to weight will be in the neighborhood of where the Altima SE-R is, but will still drive the wrong wheels from an infiniti standpoint.

Currently, out of Nissan's portfolio, I am most interested in the G35S, but wish it was available with the same powertrain and suspension as exists in the G37 coupe.

How many Lexus and Toyota models are interchangeable? The Avalon is the best deal.

This new Max is stunning!

Don't like that front end AT ALL, especially the headlights. Rest of it looks good though. It finally looks more upscale than the Altima enough to make someone consider looking at it.

I too hate the headlights and to a lesser extent, the square grille. Back is ok, interior is nice as well. As another poster mentioned, the Infiniti-Nissan line is being heavily blurred. If you look at a front 3/4 view, you'll notice some curvy sculpting in the hood, which I believe would be better suited on a generally more curvy Infiniti vehicle.

Unfortunately from some leaked pictures, it appears the new Nissan 370Z will be recieiving these ugly headlights as well.

Edited by rmc523

There was a time when I really, really liked Maximas. However, I think they took a stylistic wrong turn with the last generation. This one is better but it still doesn't appeal to me like the older gens did.

I like the current Maxima, and except for some issues with the front end, I like this one as well.

I like it.

I'd have to get used to the headlight/turn marker assembly, but so far so good. At least it won't be confused with an Altima from the front anymore... :)

That is one thing I didn't like about the current Altima/Maxima -- how similar they looked from the front.