Ford Braking Performance "woes"

I was bored today and did some poking around and just noticed something, it seems all of Ford's newer cars are now using Ceramic brake pads on them. Could this be part of the reason for crappy stopping distances for the newer cars that have come out in the past couple years? The Edge uses them, the Mustang Uses them, but the Fusion doesn't nor can I find info on the 08 Taurus or Focus if they are outfitted with them.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was bored today and did some poking around and just noticed something, it seems all of Ford's newer cars are now using Ceramic brake pads on them. Could this be part of the reason for crappy stopping distances for the newer cars that have come out in the past couple years? The Edge uses them, the Mustang Uses them, but the Fusion doesn't nor can I find info on the 08 Taurus or Focus if they are outfitted with them.

Ceramic should be better, Porsche uses ceramic. I'd blame the fact Ford cars are getting heavier.

Ceramic usually stop better, though I think the reason Ford is using them is you don't end up with all the brake dust on the wheels.

Maybe they don't do as well for the first while :shrug:

Ceramic should be better, Porsche uses ceramic. I'd blame the fact Ford cars are getting heavier.

Porsche uses ceramic ROTORS as well. Crazy expensive, but work well. Ceramics really are NOT the best for shortest stopping distances. A good ol' fashioned semi-metallic will do that the best. However, the reason ceramics are used in racing-bred applications is that they are FAR more resistant to brake FADE, which in racing applications is more important than stopping distance.

I currently have ceramic pads on both my Cobra and Mazda...the braking performance is adequate in both and they both have wheels that are a PITA to keep clean of brake dust...no brainer there.

Porsche uses ceramic ROTORS as well. Crazy expensive, but work well. Ceramics really are NOT the best for shortest stopping distances. A good ol' fashioned semi-metallic will do that the best. However, the reason ceramics are used in racing-bred applications is that they are FAR more resistant to brake FADE, which in racing applications is more important than stopping distance.

I currently have ceramic pads on both my Cobra and Mazda...the braking performance is adequate in both and they both have wheels that are a PITA to keep clean of brake dust...no brainer there.

Can you link me to those ceramic pads you use that don't get brake dust all over the wheels? I freaking hate it.

Can you link me to those ceramic pads you use that don't get brake dust all over the wheels? I freaking hate it.

Depends which car:

The ones on the Mazda are just from NAPA. Have worked pretty well for about 35,000 miles...getting to be about due for replacements. Only complaint is that they have squeeked a heck of a lot more.

The ones on the Cobra are Akebonos. Don't really have enough milage on those to tell if they were worth the extra coin or not.

The difference in brake dust on both is dramatic though to say the least. No reason you can't just run ceramics in the front and whatever other preferred cheaper material in the rear too. After all, it's usually only the fronts that are victim to the brake dust black wheel disease.

Edited by NickF1011

Depends which car:

The ones on the Mazda are just from NAPA. Have worked pretty well for about 35,000 miles...getting to be about due for replacements. Only complaint is that they have squeeked a heck of a lot more.

The ones on the Cobra are Akebonos. Don't really have enough milage on those to tell if they were worth the extra coin or not.

The difference in brake dust on both is dramatic though to say the least. No reason you can't just run ceramics in the front and whatever other preferred cheaper material in the rear too. After all, it's usually only the fronts that are victim to the brake dust black wheel disease.

I'll head over to the Mazda6 forum I check and ask around then. Never thought about new brake pads to fix that problem though.

I have the ceramic pads in the MKX and braking is adequate for a heavy vehicle. There is none of that groaning noise I am accustomed to hearing on my previous Fords (including the LS). Brake dust is virtually non-existent! I'm happy and would not exchange them for anything (until I hit another car I guess).

'03 Mazda Tribute. The brakes work great, but the dust is hideous. Still, I will deal with the ugly dust, for braking performance. I take safety over vanity.

On a side note, my 5-year-old just broke his arm today. AUGH !!!! His first real injury. He fell off the monkey bars at his after K child care. Sorry for acting like a mama, but he is my only child, and this really got me today. He was very brave.

'03 Mazda Tribute. The brakes work great, but the dust is hideous. Still, I will deal with the ugly dust, for braking performance. I take safety over vanity.

On a side note, my 5-year-old just broke his arm today. AUGH !!!! His first real injury. He fell off the monkey bars at his after K child care. Sorry for acting like a mama, but he is my only child, and this really got me today. He was very brave.

Sorry to hear about your son's arm. I hope he has a quick and full recovery.

EDIT: Our Expedition brakes work fine, and a LOT less brake dust w/ the new pads.

Edited by rmc523

The cars are getting heavier because the government puts in regs to force new safety gizmos all the time.

At least today's cars have the airbags nicely implemented into the design. Before it was a big ungainly box in the steering wheel, and for years I was anti-airbag.

Of course, the counter-argument for this is that the companies need to adapt or die. (Bold Moves)

Edited by Roadrunner

Yeah, but what about the F150? No ceramic, heavier, and really short stop distance.

I would suspect that braking is better on trucks in general because the weight is largely on the front as tested (unlike if there is material in the bed) -- meaning there's no heavy backend pushing momentum.

I would suspect that braking is better on trucks in general because the weight is largely on the front as tested (unlike if there is material in the bed) -- meaning there's no heavy backend pushing momentum.

You would think so, but in MT testing, don't rememer where, the F150 actually stopped faster with a full load. Weird.

The Escape is notorious for chronic brake dust. EVERY time I see a first gen Escape, the front wheels are caked in dust.

I'm extremely obsessive about my cars cleanliness so I'm happy to give up a little on stopping distance if it means no dust or groaning ;).

Edited by BORG