tundra problems to be announced

Deanh

just heard something that we may be made more aware of pretty soon, apparently a few Tundras have been bought back due to a potential engineering problem which they are having problems finding a fix for. Apparently on freeways some begin to porpoise and it becomes uncontrollable..... ( source, F & I manager currently employed at a Toy-floater dealership )...will be interesting if/ when it surfaces.....apparently the Titan has had a similar problem....

Edited by Deanh

this will be interesting if indeed it does raise its head, remains to be seen, if in fact this is a condition that comes to light watch Toyotas damage control........

Ran 6 2009 crew cab f-150's this week, the thing is huge with just a 6 1/2 box. All were black and all wrapped up. 3 valve 4.6 (GT motor) is standard, hoped up 5.4 and a 6.0 gas due in 2010, also a diesel in the works. The cab is even taller. Interior is 100% new. Sony stereo and navigation. Has pull out steps just behind cab to get into the box, step tailgate, integrated elec. trailer brake controller, cool gauge cluster.My opinion, looks a hell of alot better than the GM, I do see similarities to the tundra though, especially the tail lights. All had the new 6 speed auto. front end was all wrapped up, but it's tall and square with a bigger grill and head light set up. :happy feet:

I've been reading complaints about this here.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems...rintVersion=YES

Check this one out:

I OWN A 2007 TOYOTA TUNDRA CREWMAX SR5 WITH THE 5.7L V8. I HAVE FOUND THAT WHEN Y APPLYING THE PARKING BRAKE THERE WAS NOT ENOUGH FORCE TO HOLD THE TRUCK IN PLACE ON ITS OWN WHEN ON A HILL. I FIRST NOTICED THIS WHEN I APPLIED THE PARKING BRAKE WITH THE TRUCK IN DRIVE , BUT NOT APPLYING ANY PRESSURE TO THE GAS PEDAL, AND THE TRUCK BEGAN TO DRIVE FORWARD WITH VERY LITTLE RESISTANCE. I TOOK THE TRUCK TO THE DEALERSHIP, AND THEY INFORMED ME THAT THIS WAS HOW THE ENGINEERS DESIGNED IT.

Is that so? :hysterical:

Another interesting one:

SINCE DAY ONE THAT I HAVE PURCHASED THE TRUCK I HAVE COMPLAINED THAT THE BRAKES DON'T SLOW THE TRUCK DOWN AS IT SHOULD. THAT YOU HAVE TO PUMP IT AT LEAST ONE TIME FOR THEM TO ACT NORMAL WHEN SLOWING DOWN. SOME TIMES IT IS OVER HALF WAY TO THE FLOOR BEFORE YOU STOP. AND THAT IS WITH OUT PULLING A LOAD. WHEN I TALKED TO THE DEALERSHIP (JAY WOLFE TOYOTA OF K.C) WAS TOLD THAT "IT WAS MAGIC BRAKES" , I HAVE HAD TO GO BACK TO THE DAYS OF OLD WHERE YOU GIVE IT A PUMP THEN IT WORKS. I HAVE ALMOST REAR ENDED SEVERAL PEOPLE. THESE BRAKES ARE DANGEROUS. AND I PAID $50,000. FOR THAT. THEY DID NOT CONSIDER THIS TO BE A PROBLEM THAT MAYBE I NEEDED TO GET USE TO THE TRUCK.

It must have been the "magic brakes" that stopped that heavy load in the commercials! :hysterical:

Ran 6 2009 crew cab f-150's this week, the thing is huge with just a 6 1/2 box. All were black and all wrapped up. 3 valve 4.6 (GT motor) is standard, hoped up 5.4 and a 6.0 gas due in 2010, also a diesel in the works. The cab is even taller. Interior is 100% new. Sony stereo and navigation. Has pull out steps just behind cab to get into the box, step tailgate, integrated elec. trailer brake controller, cool gauge cluster.My opinion, looks a hell of alot better than the GM, I do see similarities to the tundra though, especially the tail lights. All had the new 6 speed auto. front end was all wrapped up, but it's tall and square with a bigger grill and head light set up. :happy feet:
Do you have any idea if they addressed the spark plug problem in the hopped up 5.4????

This is one of my favorites...

"

Summary:

1.EXCESSIVE CAB SHAKE, WOBBLE AND JERKINESS WHENEVER DRIVING OVER CONCRETE PAVED ROADS AT VARIETY OF SPEEDS. 2. CALLED DEALER WHO SUGGESTED: TIRE PRESSURE ADJUSTMENT AND ADDING 150 LBS OF WEIGHT TO TRUCK BED. AFTER IMPLEMENTING ABOVE, TRUCK RIDE IMPROVED SLIGHTLY BUT STILL UNACCEPTABLE. *TR"

So in other words, for this person, they need to continuously carry a "person" in the truck bed, to fix the issue...Hmm wouldn't that affect fuel efficiency as well?

Totally not acceptable, unfortunately the media doesn't catch wind of it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5U6KmwB2LyY

I can summarize that video of riding in the new 2007 Tundra with two words, "Toyota Quality" :hysterical:

Just don't strap a baby into a child seat in that thing or it may not survive the trip. I can see the headlines now, "Baby Shaken to Death in Toyota Pickup" Oh wait, it is a Toyota so that would not make headlines.

None of this strikes me as odd. Yet, those commercials of the Tundra out accelerating and our braking everything else is what Joe consumer keeps in mind when he goes to purchase one of those ugly POS'.

Actually, my favorite waste of space commercial is the Titan v. F-150 bed commercial. The 'Titan' has bed tie down system, so in the event that you take your full-size pickup to an auto-X event or you roll it over, the Titan's tie down system has the ability to keep the items back there tied down much more securely.

What bothers me is the fact that two different dealers told two different customers to add 150lbs to the bed for stability. Could it be Toyo knows about the problem and that is thier fix? A TSB telling dealers to tell customers to add 150lbs to thier truck? What a crock!

It looks like once again Toyo has proved it still does not know how to build a suspension.

None of this strikes me as odd. Yet, those commercials of the Tundra out accelerating and our braking everything else is what Joe consumer keeps in mind when he goes to purchase one of those ugly POS'.

Actually, my favorite waste of space commercial is the Titan v. F-150 bed commercial. The 'Titan' has bed tie down system, so in the event that you take your full-size pickup to an auto-X event or you roll it over, the Titan's tie down system has the ability to keep the items back there tied down much more securely.

Thats the stupidest commercial! But as you said at least you know if your truck is upside-down, your dirt bike or whatever will stay in the bed.

did they change the bed wall height at all? I know people were complaining about how tall they were, making it difficult to put stuff into the bed.

I was wondering when they would put steps on the space between the cab and rear wheel. I've always thought trucks need a step there (like the flaresides). Did any of the vehicles you tested have the 'larger than mega-cab' cab?

What bothers me is the fact that two different dealers told two different customers to add 150lbs to the bed for stability. Could it be Toyo knows about the problem and that is thier fix? A TSB telling dealers to tell customers to add 150lbs to thier truck?

My reaction to that would be to ask the service advisor how much he weighed. If he was 150 lbs. or over, ask him to hop in for the next 150,000 miles.