Interesting 2008 Taurus Test Mule

FordBuyer

Driving on I-275 North today going through Livonia just south of 7 Mile, in lane next to me a 2008 Taurus passes me with heavily camouflaged front end and dual exhaust and tail pipes. It was definitely a test mule, and if front end had not been so camouflaged, I would have thought Ford was just testing new drivetrain using Taurus as platform. But the heavily camouflaged front end leads me to speculate further. Wish I could have taken pic of it, but any ideas about what this may mean. Looks to me like Ford is already hard at work changing present Taurus and maybe going to even more powerful engine. Or maybe Ford is just trying to completely camouflage everything they are doing as these vehicles are tested in public. However, I do doubt if present Taurus will be in its present form for 3 years at the outside.

Driving on I-275 North today going through Livonia just south of 7 Mile, in lane next to me a 2008 Taurus passes me with heavily camouflaged front end and dual exhaust and tail pipes. It was definitely a test mule, and if front end had not been so camouflaged, I would have thought Ford was just testing new drivetrain using Taurus as platform. But the heavily camouflaged front end leads me to speculate further. Wish I could have taken pic of it, but any ideas about what this may mean. Looks to me like Ford is already hard at work changing present Taurus and maybe going to even more powerful engine. Or maybe Ford is just trying to completely camouflage everything they are doing as these vehicles are tested in public. However, I do doubt if present Taurus will be in its present form for 3 years at the outside.

SHO or cooling mule.

yeah, either SHO mule or cooling mule for 2010 Mk6 Taurus .... the Mk6 will be on a new version of the D3 platform.

with 2009 release year - it would make sense for colling mules to be out around now.

Igor

What is a "colling mule," and what is a Mk6 Taurus.

Couldn't it be a powertrain mule for an MkS?

Why would they do that when they already have MKS mules running around?

That is interesting. When you say dual exhaust I assume you mean one pipe on each side as opposed to the current 'dual exhaust' with two on one side. I hate that look, I prefer the more symmetrical 1 (or 2) pipes on each side. Granted, the Taurus is not a sports car, but why not make it look better w/ a true dual exhaust?

Edited by rmc523

Why would they do that when they already have MKS mules running around?

That is interesting. When you say dual exhaust I assume you mean one pipe on each side as opposed to the current 'dual exhaust' with two on one side. I hate that look, I prefer the more symmetrical 1 (or 2) pipes on each side. Granted, the Taurus is not a sports car, but why not make it look better w/ a true dual exhaust?

The test mule did have dual exhaust. By that I mean one pipe on each side like Fusion V6, not like present Taurus with its two on one side. They were special pipes though that Ford uses on all its test mules.

Is that your statement of the day? You've said it on at least one other thread I've looked at.

He's just crying because Richard keeps shutting down his little temper tantrum rants that he posts around here to try and stir things up. Ignore the clown.

Given that this car had a dual exhaust look I would lean towards a test mule for a SHO variant or SVT, whatever they call them now. I wouldn't think you would need dual exhaust tips for a cooling mule. FordBuyer did you happen to notice if the car also sat lower to the ground then a typical Taurus which might indicate a more performance oriented suspension package?

He's just crying because Richard keeps shutting down his little temper tantrum rants that he posts around here to try and stir things up. Ignore the clown.

Given that this car had a dual exhaust look I would lean towards a test mule for a SHO variant or SVT, whatever they call them now. I wouldn't think you would need dual exhaust tips for a cooling mule. FordBuyer did you happen to notice if the car also sat lower to the ground then a typical Taurus which might indicate a more performance oriented suspension package?

No, the side view and back end was 2008 Taurus and it sat just like one. Only two areas stood out that was different. Heavily camouflaged front end and two, big separate tail pipes on each side of rear end. And of course it had that big test number going across the top part of front windshield. Test driver was going pretty fast too...about 80mph on I-275 which is average speed on that stretch of road going through Livonia.