The 2008 MPG ratings, for the '08 Taurus/Sable are out and it's a big surprise.

Len_A

The 2008 MPG ratings, for the '08 Taurus/Sable are out and it's a big surprise. Comparing the 2007 Five Hundred/Montego 3.0 liter V-6 vs. 2008 Taurus/Sable 3.5 liter V-6, Ford Motor Company was as good as their word: with the exception of front wheel drive city ratings (which is down one MPG), the rest of the ratings are either the same or up. The most impressive is the front wheel drive '08, which has all it's ratings up. Considering that the 2008's V-6 is quite a bit more powerful, that's impressive.

I obtained the information from www.fueleconomy.gov, and then used the "Compare to OLD MPG" link. I printed them to PDF and converted them to JPG's, so we could view the results here. I post the results as follows:

3312007_Five_Hundred_AWD_MPG.jpg

2007 Ford Five Hundred 3.0 V-6 AWD

3312008_Taurus_AWD_MPG.jpg

2008 Ford Taurus 3.5 V-6 AWD

3312007_Five_Hundred_FWD_MPG.jpg

2007 Ford Five Hundred 3.0 V-6 FWD

3312008_Taurus_FWD_MPG.jpg

2008 Ford Taurus 3.5 V-6 FWD

The 2008 MPG ratings, for the '08 Taurus/Sable are out and it's a big surprise. Comparing the 2007 Five Hundred/Montego 3.0 liter V-6 vs. 2008 Taurus/Sable 3.5 liter V-6, Ford Motor Company was as good as their word: with the exception of front wheel drive city ratings (which is down one MPG), the rest of the ratings are either the same or up. The most impressive is the front wheel drive '08, which has all it's ratings up. Considering that the 2008's V-6 is quite a bit more powerful, that's impressive.

I obtained the information from www.fueleconomy.gov, and then used the "Compare to OLD MPG" link. I printed them to PDF and converted them to JPG's, so we could view the results here. I post the results as follows:

3312007_Five_Hundred_AWD_MPG.jpg

2007 Ford Five Hundred 3.0 V-6 AWD

3312008_Taurus_AWD_MPG.jpg

2008 Ford Taurus 3.5 V-6 AWD

3312007_Five_Hundred_FWD_MPG.jpg

2007 Ford Five Hundred 3.0 V-6 FWD

3312008_Taurus_FWD_MPG.jpg

2008 Ford Taurus 3.5 V-6 FWD

Thanks for posting the information Len. I'm always anxious to see positive and encouraging news about Ford products!

Heck I was expecting 28mpg on the OLD ratings. I for one am quite happy -- go Ford! :party2:

I guess that's where the other 5HP went, though... not that they'll be missed.

The Taurus gets 5 HP less because it is single exhuast vs dual in other applications. Part of the self leveling rear suspension on the AWD vehicles takes up the space where the other muffler would go.

this is very good news ..

the Camry and Accord are just around 28mpg with the new ratings and the Taurus is bigger and safer and offers features not available on either one of them ..

if Ford advertises the heck out of this thing, we might see a nice success story .. one the FH never was (mostly because of the engine and lack of ads).

Igor

Comparison Group: (MPG numbers posted as: City/Hwy/Combined)

Taurus FWD V6 Auto6: 18/28/22

Accord V6 Auto5: 18/26/21

Camry V6 Auto6: 19/28/23

Avalon V6 Auto5: 20/28/23

Sonata V6 Auto5: 18/27/21

Azera V6 Auto5: 18/26/21

Impala 3.5l V6 Auto4: 18/28/22

Lucerne V6 Auto4: 17/26/20

Maxima V6 CVT: 19/25/21

Altima V6 CVT: 20/26/22

300 RWD, 3.5 V6, Auto5: 17/24/20

Not a bad comparison .. if yo ucan think of more competitors .. post them .

All numbers are from fueleconomy.gov and are using the new testing method.

Igor

Edited by igor

this is very good news ..

the Camry and Accord are just around 28mpg with the new ratings and the Taurus is bigger and safer and offers features not available on either one of them ..

if Ford advertises the heck out of this thing, we might see a nice success story .. one the FH never was (mostly because of the engine and lack of ads).

Igor

Agreed, 100%.

Thats good highway #. These are hiway cruisers for families, not meant to be city traffic cars. Can't see a family go on a long trip in a Prius.

But OTOH, Ford would be wise to make a Hybird Taurus to stick it to the you know whos!

Thats good highway #. These are hiway cruisers for families, not meant to be city traffic cars. Can't see a family go on a long trip in a Prius.

But OTOH, Ford would be wise to make a Hybird Taurus to stick it to the you know whos!

Compared to all the Hummers, Navigators, Expeditions, etc. I see on the city streets the Freestyle/TaurusX is the perfect city family car. It also has enough space in it to actually carry stuff... either lots of little things in one trip (better mileage than a Prius if the Prius has to go twice!), or large items that simply won't fit in or on a smaller car.

Comparison Group: (MPG numbers posted as: City/Hwy/Combined)

Taurus FWD V6 Auto6: 18/28/22

Accord V6 Auto5: 18/26/21

Camry V6 Auto6: 19/28/23

Avalon V6 Auto5: 20/28/23

Sonata V6 Auto5: 18/27/21

Azera V6 Auto5: 18/26/21

Impala 3.5l V6 Auto4: 18/28/22

Lucerne V6 Auto4: 17/26/20

Maxima V6 CVT: 19/25/21

Altima V6 CVT: 20/26/22

300 RWD, 3.5 V6, Auto5: 17/24/20

Not a bad comparison .. if yo ucan think of more competitors .. post them .

All numbers are from fueleconomy.gov and are using the new testing method.

Igor

The Chrysler 300 V6 model has crappy numbers especially for a car that was supposed to be so great. I wonder how the Hemi model will do under the new standards. Ouch. :finger:

• 1 month later...