April 2007 Sales: Edge: 9,134 Murano: 6,316

igor

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is where he said it...

...I hate to say it, but she's gonna bomb. Go ahead, flame me, but we can revisit this in six months.

This is where he backtracks a bit...

The Edge is a 4600Lbs SUV (300Lbs MORE than the Freestyle, right there with Explorer) with no third row, 16/20 is the EPA estimate (Car and Driver only got 15MPG). Get this...all the rage these days is the "shift it yourself" automatics, noted in the sporty Edge by it's absence. It also doesn't have passenger grab handles or a left foot "dead pedal." IT also uses the same gauge cluster as just about EVERY other Ford except the F150 and Mustang. The devils in the details.

I doubt it will be a bomb, that might have been too harsh, but I don't see who's gonna buy it. It doesn't have the light sporty feel of a Morano and it's not three row like a "big" crossover.

I think the Edge might be the answer to the question no one asked and this might be it's downfall. All speculation at this point, but I have my doubts.

And here's where he stands by his original statement...

Spot on. I got beat up pretty bad when I stated that the Edge is gonna bomb in the marketplace. I stand by that statement. Even if it was the "cream of the crop" of V-6 5 seat 26-36K SUV's, the market simply isnt there on a mainstream level. Furthermore, Ford has entirely TOO many SUV's in it's lineup right now and the Edge will be competing for sales with them. The Edge is well over 5K more than an Escape and I can't see myself paying that much more for it. The point of getting a WHOLE lot more vehicle with the Freestyle is also an opinion I share.

I see the Edge as a vehicle with the room of the Escape for the price of the Freestyle. Sorry, I'll pass.

Flame me, I am standing by my statement...sales are NOT going to be big for the Edge.

Tomorrow will be 6 months since Bec made his claim. Can we now officially claim he was wrong and flame him? Where's Range's flaming CRV when you need it...

It only took about 5 minutes...

Ain't the interwarb great?

I just wish it was easier to find information from pre-1997 or so...its impossible to find out the fleet rate of say an 89 Taurus ;) Guess I'll have to goto the Library and find that out :P

Why not? Ford cheerleaders use that excuse all the time.

that is the point ... if we are cheerleaders for using that to Ford;s benefit, what does that make the ones using it to Ford's disadvantage? Spin is a spin, even if it is based on real contexts.

Igor

In Bec's defense: At least he had the balls to make a somewhat measurbale statement and stand by it. AND I happen to agree with him per his reasoning: to me, the Edge is a retarded vehicle. A SEXY retard to be sure - hell, call it the Blond Bimbo Eye Candy in Ford's lineup - but as a practical vehicle of quantifiable purpose, it fails.

All these great sales figures prove is that Americans are stupid and still prefer style over anything that actually makes sense. I'll admit I'm guilty of this too, since I wanted to love the Freestyle but damn it put me to sleep. But I can settle for it because of itrs great versatility.

On the contrary, weren't there several articles posted here yesterday where Ford designers basically said they're deriving inspiration from overpriced handbags? Didn't Retro-Man make some good points about stupid american conseumerism, debt in the name of force-fed style? The Edge is just a big f***ing purse.

BUT - I am GLAD it is doing well, because if Ford is ever going to build a vehicle that appeals to ME, they need the money from all the sheep they can fleece.

April # Canada

Equinox..... 1,303

Torrent ......1,141

Edge...........900

CX-7............563

Pilot........... 358

Murano.......340

Forester.... 297

Highlander... 158

Rendezvous.. 139

B9 Tribeca....53

Edited by MKII

In Bec's defense: At least he had the balls to make a somewhat measurbale statement and stand by it. AND I happen to agree with him per his reasoning: to me, the Edge is a retarded vehicle. A SEXY retard to be sure - hell, call it the Blond Bimbo Eye Candy in Ford's lineup - but as a practical vehicle of quantifiable purpose, it fails.

All these great sales figures prove is that Americans are stupid and still prefer style over anything that actually makes sense. I'll admit I'm guilty of this too, since I wanted to love the Freestyle but damn it put me to sleep. But I can settle for it because of itrs great versatility.

On the contrary, weren't there several articles posted here yesterday where Ford designers basically said they're deriving inspiration from overpriced handbags? Didn't Retro-Man make some good points about stupid american conseumerism, debt in the name of force-fed style? The Edge is just a big f***ing purse.

BUT - I am GLAD it is doing well, because if Ford is ever going to build a vehicle that appeals to ME, they need the money from all the sheep they can fleece.

Consider the alternative: attempting to out-boring the mainstream icons. This past year has been the first that the Camry had any real performance, yet it's been the sedan standard-bearer for years now.

The Corolla is the best-selling car of all time...and it's usually such a wallflower, it's practically invisible.

I understand your feelings aobut the Edge vs. the Freestyle (Taurus X), I'm in a similar situation...but there's something to be said for buying what fits YOU. Ford is doing a decent job right now in giving people ways to buy something "just right" for their situation: Escape vs. Edge, Freestyle vs. Explorer vs. Expedition...all SUV/CUVs, all done differently.

I'm all for Ford trying to lure the 'impulse buys' out there, as opposed to finding more variations on vanilla.

The Edge sold just over 9,000 and you are declaring it a great success?ROTFLMAO

The Oakville plant which has a capacity of 25k a month made 9,000 Edges?

There is no stopping the Ford jugernaut.

BEC was right.

Hmmm...they are using half of the capacity now. They will be ramping up Flex production by the end of the year. That should account for at least another quarter of the capacity. Add in the Lincoln version of the Flex and you're really not too far from its max. Don't be such a sore sport.

BEC was right.

Edges. Not including MKXs.

And Oakville's capacity was NEVER to be fully utilized by the Edge only. They called for less than half.

Bec was wrong, just as you are.

BEC was right.

Isn't OAC also going to build the Flex and the Lincoln "People Mover" as well as the Edge and MKX? Between these four products, I don't see why they won't be able to utilize the capacity of 25K.

Ford is selling a bunch of these niche vehicles without any incentives. Sorry, BEC was and is wrong.

Edges. Not including MKXs.

And Oakville's capacity was NEVER to be fully utilized by the Edge only. They called for less than half.

Bec was wrong, just as you are.

So you think 9k a month is a succes? Barely outsold the Pacifica. And Chrysler builds the Pacifica as a extra vehicle in the minivan plant. The Edge will be lucky to crack the 100k barrier for the year.

BEC was right.

So you think 9k a month is a succes? Barely outsold the Pacifica. And Chrysler builds the Pacifica as a extra vehicle in the minivan plant. The Edge will be lucky to crack the 100k barrier for the year.

BEC was right.

How would you define a success for the Edge?

BEC was right.

There's a reason it's built in a minivan plant. Because it's minivan based. The Edge is not.

The Pacifica isn't direct competition for the Edge. The Murano is.