Mercury Dealers: 50% higher January Sales

LSFan00

But that's only 6 new car sales per month!!! Remember, it's all about expectations... :ohsnap:

Inventory Blues: Frank Williams at TTAC mentions that Saturn "had a 230-day supply of Ions (which is only 29K units, but there you go). GMC dealers were sitting on 20K or 211 day's worth of Yukon XLs, a 98% increase from January’s 113-day supply. And the hits just keep on not happening. In January, Buick dealers averaged just four new car sales per store. No wonder they have a 170-day supply of LaCrosses and a 116-day supply of Lucernes." Four cars per month!? Unbelievable!

"Mercury dealers only managed to move six cars apiece in January, staring down the barrel of 7K unsold Montegos (enough to last 147 days). Ford stores averaged just 35 sales each last month (mostly trucks), with 24K post-pre-Taurus Five Hundreds (a 169-day supply) going nowhere slowly."

The ideal balance of maximum factory profitability and happy customers happens at 40-60 days, it seems. True for most kinds of businesses, in my experience.

Some random inventory stats (by brand):

Saturn - 153 days

Buick - 132 days

Pontiac -104 days

Mercury - 82 days

Lincoln - 76 days

Lexus - 19 days

He's quoting ttac.com, but it's from Joe's blog; http://www.joesherlock.com/blog.html

Ouch. They are going to have to rebate the heck out of those 500's and Mnotego's before the new Taurus and Sables get to dealers.

Hmmmm....might be a good time to buy.

I think 60 days is an acceptible average. Where are you getting extensive rebates on Ford 500's and Merc Montegos?

Peace and Blessings

I don't know about all Ford dealer but the ones around here seem to be too busy.

I went in last week to replace my 05 Focus ZX5 with either a Fusion or an Escape. I drive a lot of miles so I was looking at 4 cyls. The Fusion was ok, a little noisy with the 4, the v6 was much nicer, but I really like the I4 SE Appearance package. So I was undecided. I told 3 different dealers what I wanted, I didn't think it was an extraordinary request.

1 Fusion, 4 cyl prefer manual, but there seems to be a shortage of these so I would take an Auto. Black or Red (not Merlot) with the I4 SE package That's pretty much it

or

2. Fusion, Black or Red, with the V6 , Black interior.

or

3. Escape, 08 only , no 07 please. 4 cyl, manual if possible.

3 Dealers. Not one call back. That's pretty poor if you ask me. I buy a new car about every 2 years, so its not like I am a tire kicker.

In the past 6 or 7 years we have bought

99 Superduty 4X4 Extended cab

2000 Superduty 4X2 Extended cab (both with dealer installed utility beds)

2002 Super Crew 4X4

2002 Tbird

2001 Sport Trac 4X4

2005 Focus ZX5

We bought all of these from the same dealer and he wont respond to me wanting to buy a Fusion?

Its no wonder Ford isn't selling anything.

I don't know about all Ford dealer but the ones around here seem to be too busy.

I went in last week to replace my 05 Focus ZX5 with either a Fusion or an Escape. I drive a lot of miles so I was looking at 4 cyls. The Fusion was ok, a little noisy with the 4, the v6 was much nicer, but I really like the I4 SE Appearance package. So I was undecided. I told 3 different dealers what I wanted, I didn't think it was an extraordinary request.

1 Fusion, 4 cyl prefer manual, but there seems to be a shortage of these so I would take an Auto. Black or Red (not Merlot) with the I4 SE package That's pretty much it

or

or

3 Dealers. Not one call back. That's pretty poor if you ask me. I buy a new car about every 2 years, so its not like I am a tire kicker.

2002 Super Crew 4X4

2002 Tbird

2001 Sport Trac 4X4

2005 Focus ZX5

We bought all of these from the same dealer and he wont respond to me wanting to buy a Fusion?

wow, i find that amazing.. i could just go on a lot and take a look at a car for the heck of it.. give my number and dealer would be calling back in no time lol.. wow, you guys must be making alot of sales and forgot about you or they just dont care.

or

or

2002 Super Crew 4X4

2002 Tbird

2001 Sport Trac 4X4

2005 Focus ZX5

call the dealer and ask for the sales manager and tell him your sales history with the dealer see what he can do for you... if that doesn't light a fire under someones ass then that dealer must have to much business to need yours...

call the dealer and ask for the sales manager and tell him your sales history with the dealer see what he can do for you... if that doesn't light a fire under someones ass then that dealer must have to much business to need yours...

Better yet, call FORD directly and tell them.. They'd probably love to hear how their dealers are doing so well at pushing their product...

Leave them your name and number and see how long it takes that dealer to bring a car to your home to test drive....

I went over the the Mercury dealer here and looked at Milans, Such a difference in dealers, its simply amazing.

I would love to buy something from them, I just really do not like the Milan as much as the Fusion.

Maybe I will have to get a Mariner. They have one 07 left, all they got in the 08's are Hybrids right now

This is my main gripe about FoMoCo's handling of L/M. There's no volume vehicle for Mercury anymore. It wouldn't be detrimental for Mercury to have a special version of the Focus. Maybe keep the Hatchback just for mercury, or make something else special out of it that can be built at the same plant. Make it sporty, and fun, and refined, and price it under the Milan. It should be doable, sell well and create more showroom volume for L/M. More people will be exposed to a dealer network that actually seems to give a damn about their customers.

I've pushed for it for years, Mercury could have used a small, sport-wagon off the C170 platform. Start with the Focus wagon, use the SVT focus parts bin peices to upgrade the suspension where possible, give it the 2.3L I4, change some sheetmetal for Mercury versions, upgrade the interior, and advertise the darned thing. It would have economically added volume for mercury, and also increased utilization at the focus plant. But, what do I know?

Better yet, call FORD directly and tell them.. They'd probably love to hear how their dealers are doing so well at pushing their product...

Leave them your name and number and see how long it takes that dealer to bring a car to your home to test drive....

Thats a complete waste of time and frankly quite dumb. Just call the general sales manager and heads will roll.

I have those in stock, but the SE's move right in and right back out the doors with the apearance package. Probably one of the best automotive deals in existance. Leather, moonroof, 17" wheels and more for 21k'ish msrp.

"Thats a complete waste of time and frankly quite dumb. Just call the general sales manager and heads will roll. "

Ya, lets call the sales manager of the people that he's managing... Sounds like that is quite dumb.... :happy feet:

If he was doing the job he should be doing, his salemen wouldn't be forgetting the customer...

Frankly, I like the top down better.... If anything, write a letter to the Dealership owner.. Better yet, give them a call...

I'm sure either one will work, however,,,, If you escalate it at the higher level, you will likely be helping more than just yourself in the long run..

But you keep giving them a fish... I'll stick to teaching them how to fish....:shades:

• 2 weeks later...

Falconman13,

That is just wrong that a dealer can't call you back or anything. I was in sales for awhile, if we ignored a customer we'd be fired!

If you're near Virginia at all, contact Barton Ford Lincoln Mercury in Suffolk. Awesome place, and believe it or not, they have a movie theater in their Service Dept/Body Shop building. I won't take my Continental anywhere else!