04 F150 Non-Replacable U-Joints

SixGun

Did you know that the U-joints in a 2004 F150 cannot be replaced? Check it out. You have to replace the whole driveshaft. I had a U-joint fail on the rear end of my driveshaft and the dealer could not figure out how to replace the U-joint. After 4 different U-joints to include a Ford part they decided it was impossible to do. Oh, they didn't have a press in the shop, can you believe it? They dropped my driveshaft on the floor twice.

They finally replaced it the driveshaft with one off of a new 2007. They had my truck for a week.

Apparently my driveshaft U-joints pucks were secured by some kind of pressed in clips from the factory. When you look at it you'll see what I'm talking about. If you’re familiar with changing U-joints it'll jump right out at you.

The new 2007 drive shaft had clips like you'd find on any U-joint since you were a kid, not what were on my original.

I guess it was some cost saving Idea someone from management came up with. I can't see how a drive shaft replacement could save money over a U-joint replacement.

Any thoughts?

They dropped my driveshaft on the floor twice.

The first time that happened it was game over any way. Note the big sticker wrapped around the drive shaft that says "SCRAP IF DROPPED"

Pioneer: Do you remember when the change back to clips was made?

Oh, they used a machine alright. Stupid thing was WAY overcomplicated, and each one cost upwards of 1.3 Million, and just the F-150 lines had 5 of them. Not to mention the other 4 they bought for the 2005 Mustang and 2006 Explorer. Those early model cars will also have non-replaceable U-joints. Also add in some Navigators, Expedition, and LS's from about 2003-2005.

The F-150 is not the only vehicle with this problem. ;)

You know Pioneer sometimes it is not to hard to see why ford is at where they are today??? Sure is a shame. Thanx for the info.

Some time in the middle of the '05 model year.

Thanks for the reply.

I have an early production '06, 8/05, and it has the servicable U-joints with clips.

But I sure wish Ford would paint these steel driveshafts, I'd pay a few bucks extra for the truck if all of the chassis/driveline parts were painted. They rust quick and it doesn't look good. I guess they save $5 per truck skipping that paint and the average owner doesn't crawl under the vehicle to see it.

Kenp77: Every manufacturer does stupid crap like this occasionally...there are no exceptions.

Some college kid with an engineering degree comes up with a dumb-assed idea that every worker on the line and mechanic in the field knows will not work but the company listens to the "engineer" every time...until the failures prove who was right.

• 3 years later...

Thanks for the reply.

I have an early production '06, 8/05, and it has the servicable U-joints with clips.

But I sure wish Ford would paint these steel driveshafts, I'd pay a few bucks extra for the truck if all of the chassis/driveline parts were painted. They rust quick and it doesn't look good. I guess they save $5 per truck skipping that paint and the average owner doesn't crawl under the vehicle to see it.

Kenp77: Every manufacturer does stupid crap like this occasionally...there are no exceptions.

Some college kid with an engineering degree comes up with a dumb-assed idea that every worker on the line and mechanic in the field knows will not work but the company listens to the "engineer" every time...until the failures prove who was right.

i think the engineering of ford parts are really good since it lasted for over many years. mine i was using ford and the parts are still intact and still functioning very well. i guess how the ford was engineered is really amazing.

mikoto | miyata