mycolor improvement- cheep :)

ford4v429

just a software change-

add another color, say like red at 6000 rpm, maybe add color mph 'warning' too- say 2 or three alternate colors at 40,60,70 mph(typical 5 over ticket thresholds)...not required, but just a neat gadget...first time a color change slows someone a bit as they roll by a cop, you'll be getting thankyou letters...

this isnt new- actually a friend had a 63-ish gm car with a rolling scroll mechanical spedometer that turned red at 70...programmable version would be cool, especially as the cost would be practically nil to implement it.

ONE MORE THING- Mycolor should be optional without IUP- I kinda like a black dash, and would worry about aluminum trim...my Mark VII has a couple scratches that kinda turned me off from soft trim when you have kids...

GREAT Idea, ford4v429!

MyColor = std! on top of line, stand alone option on everything but base stripper

programmable ip-dash = I gotta believe it's coming - hope FORD IS FIRST!

put 'em together = your color-change 'reminders'

but it did make me think of a couple jokes (hope you don't mind)

SmilieFaceSpeedo

B) over 100mph

:D 75-100

:) 50-75

:mellow: 25-50

icon_sleep.gif 0-25

the [insert brand you dislike] version

:o over 30mph

:blink: 20-30

:unsure: 10-20

icon_sleep.gif 0-10

"Dear, you'd better slow down... the speedometer's grinning." LA-LA-LA.gif

Edited by 2b2

SmilieFaceSpeedo

B) over 100mph

sleep.gif 0-25

sleep.gif 0-10

HEHEHEHEH...

but seriously- you are 100% correct- who will be the first to offer downloadable 'skins' for the cluster...they better hurry- surely theres an asian group working on it already.

HEHEHEHEH...

but seriously- you are 100% correct- who will be the first to offer downloadable 'skins' for the cluster...they better hurry- surely theres an asian group working on it already.

That would be so cool! I could see it now on my dash....the tach and speedo showing girls stripping as the speed get faster :D

ONE MORE THING- Mycolor should be optional without IUP- I kinda like a black dash, and would worry about aluminum trim...my Mark VII has a couple scratches that kinda turned me off from soft trim when you have kids...

IUP now comes with a black dash. You can choose between the aluminum and charcoal. I was thinking about getting the charcoal one, but my dealer didn't know anything about it when I ordered and I didn't have a pic to see what it looks like. I think it might be like cobra (I think now it's going to be called GT 500)....

1gt500_24-med.jpg

GT500_4.jpg

I like it, but I'd like it with the aluminum spokes on the wheel more

The color change due to speeds would be pretty cool.

Edited by Rugged's Mustang

• 2 years later...
GREAT Idea, ford4v429!

MyColor = std! on top of line, stand alone option on everything but base stripper

SmilieFaceSpeedo

B) over 100mph

sleep.gif 0-25

That's funny.... :hysterical:

HEHEHEHEH...

The idea of 'skins' for a cluster sounds badass to me. There's really no technological limitation and it really wouldn't be difficult. Just installing an LCD panel in place of the cluster and allow the user to customize guage sizes, locations, colors, shapes, etc. Sounds pretty badass to me!

I wonder if there are any legalities that require some sort of actual "physical" guage presence though.

The idea of 'skins' for a cluster sounds badass to me. There's really no technological limitation and it really wouldn't be difficult. Just installing an LCD panel in place of the cluster and allow the user to customize guage sizes, locations, colors, shapes, etc. Sounds pretty badass to me!

I wonder if there are any legalities that require some sort of actual "physical" guage presence though.

That'd be a strange law....I don't know if there would be/is one because years ago some vehicles used the digital readouts which didnt have speedometer and, thus, a specific "guage" area.

Odometer.JPG

Also, like the new Civic:

gal_lg6.jpg

The new Lamborghini Reventon has a what I believe is a customizable guage cluster....IIRC, you can choose between a traditional guage look or, being F-22 Raptor inspired, you can go with an aeronautical theme that displays your speed like the height markers seen in an airplane:

2008-lamborghini-reventon-dashboard-1920x1440-copy.jpg

Edited by rmc523

• 9 months later...
I could be wrong, but don't the 2005 and up Mustangs with the MyColor guages turn the fuel/ oil pressure/ temperature guages red when they reach dangerous levels?

I *heard* the fuel will turn red at low, but havent seen it yet on the wifes car- ran it deliberately low once just to check, but never did it- but I didnt want to run out of gas either...after reading that the low fuel turned red, thats what originally made me wonder about the speed/color programmability being a software option- would be kinda cool still- but I like b2b's(or whoever brought it up above) idea of programmable skins- the smiley face speedometer while humorous is not far fetched at all,and would be a even better gimmick than mycolor- but having the ability to change screen features (like color) by parameters like RPM or MPH selectable by the owner would be sweet- and if the 'skin' was just a bitmap with predefined 'gages' superimposed, warranty/legalities shouldnt become any issue...just hope the 'pimp my ride' crew never puts a tv on the speedometer...getting too carried away with it could become worse than a cellphone hazard- backlight colors for shift indicators or MPH 'reminders' though I still think would be something a lot of drivers would like to have available...and again, to do that with mycolor it would just be some slight reprogramming- the I/O is there, the 'tripping' parameters are there, would just need a couple more memory locations assigned for tags and a few lines of programming...would be 'free' to add it in.

• 1 year later...

just stumbled on a article on the 2010 mustang interior:

Ford's MyColor customizable backlighting let's you choose what hue they are illuminated in from all the colors of the rainbow. Whichever one you choose, when you run the 315 horsepower V8 to its 6,500 rpm redline, the tachometer flashes red, which is much more useful than actually trying to look at the instrument cluster when driving in anger.

cool- perhaps folks at Ford DO read on Blueoval :)

now how about those 'skins'?

:)

• 1 year later...

http://www.ford.com/cars/mustang/2013/

mst13_highlight_lg_intech.jpg

check out the dragstrip skin on the dash- is that cool or what? thats way better than 2b2's smiley face speedometer he suggested in here back in 05 :)

GREAT Idea, ford4v429!

SmilieFaceSpeedo

B) over 100mph

icon_sleep.gif 0-25

icon_sleep.gif 0-10