Chrysler to Pass Ford for Second in Sales?

Bluecon

No 98% of models are not released in the fall. Nowadays you start selling the product when you can get it to market.

The Camry in March?

Dodge Caliber,Aspen and others.

And lots of other product to be released by variuos carmakers.

I would hardly call the Camry or Aspen new. The Aspen is basically a spruced up Durango and the Camry shares over 50% of it's components with the outgoing model and both are produced in existing facilities. Neither of which compare to introducing an all new name plate, on an all new body, in an extensively updated facility, like the Edge/MKX.

I would hardly call the Camry or Aspen new. The Aspen is basically a spruced up Durango and the Camry shares over 50% of it's components with the outgoing model and both are produced in existing facilities. Neither of which compare to introducing an all new name plate, on an all new body, in an extensively updated facility, like the Edge/MKX.

I thought the Edge was a Ford badged Mazda? Would that qualify as a new model?

So according to your criteria how many new models are introduced in one year? One?

Okay. You named 3. What about the other 60-70 new models coming out this year?

That is a childish response. Of course there are many other models being released. Jeep Wrangler, full size GM SUVs', etc.

Edited by Bluecon

So according to your criteria how many new models are introduced in one year? One?

Hardly a rebadged Mazda. Do you even know which one was produced first? The only thing they share is a platform. Sheet metal, powertrains, interiors, etc. are all unique.

No. Two. The Caliber is also a new product.....

Hardly a rebadged Mazda. Do you even know which one was produced first? The only thing they share is a platform. Sheet metal, powertrains, interiors, etc. are all unique.

No. Two. The Caliber is also a new product.....

Then we would only have a 50% rate of introducing cars in the fall, not 98%?

Edited by Bluecon

Then we would only have a 50% rate of introducing cars in the fall, not 98%?

Fall, Spring, Summer, whatever. It doesn't really matter. You launch the vehicle when it is ready to be launched successfully. There's no point in rushing a product to market and having it hampered due to quality issues. We've been down that road before (Focus).

Fall, Spring, Summer, whatever. It doesn't really matter. You launch the vehicle when it is ready to be launched successfully. There's no point in rushing a product to market and having it hampered due to quality issues. We've been down that road before (Focus).

I think this is the right idea - give up the old Sept.-Oct. introductions and just introduce vehicles when you are sure they're production ready. Any season. I don't see a good reason to plan all your launches for the Fall, if you spread them out throughout the year you can have a constant flow of new product in your showroom to get people in.

The Edge is based on the Fusion platform, which was based on the Mazda6 platform. The Edge is NOT based on the Mazda CX-7. The Edge was entirely developed by Ford and completely independently from the CX-7, so no, there's nothing rebadged about it at all.

As someone else said...you launch a vehicle when it is ready. What difference does it make WHEN during the year that is? None really. Sure, you might get a 3-4 month "jump" on the competition, but where does that really get you? Nowhere.

A fall launch sure didn't seem to hurt the Mustang, despite it being a vehicle geared more toward "fair" weather.

The new Civic, Accord, Sonata, Corolla, etc -- all fall launches.

What's so "unbelievable" about this? Hardly anyone will. 98% of new vehicle introductions are done in the FALL, as it has always been.

And there will be at least one early-arrival model before fall: the GT500.

The Edge is based on the Fusion platform, which was based on the Mazda6 platform. The Edge is NOT based on the Mazda CX-7. The Edge was entirely developed by Ford and completely independently from the CX-7, so no, there's nothing rebadged about it at all.

As someone else said...you launch a vehicle when it is ready. What difference does it make WHEN during the year that is? None really. Sure, you might get a 3-4 month "jump" on the competition, but where does that really get you? Nowhere.

A fall launch sure didn't seem to hurt the Mustang, despite it being a vehicle geared more toward "fair" weather.

The new Civic, Accord, Sonata, Corolla, etc -- all fall launches.

Is this the same guy?

Edited by Bluecon

The Mustang was commissioned by the British at a relatively low cost. Built/engineered in the USA but of British origin.

Uh the Brits wanted to buy more P-40's, but North American didnt want to build them for them...more history in the link I provided

http://www.flightjournal.com/plane_profile...ang_history.asp

The American government had a program to develop a new fighter into which they poured a lot of capital. The fighter was an abysmal failure.

Uh which fighter was this?

Ford GAA Engine info

http://www.bacomatic.org/~dw/yore/gaa.htm