Ranger - saftey of little back seats for kids ?

markfnc

I have a 5 year old. I can't find any saftey ratings for the king cab ranger with the sideways little seats front or side crash.

Do you think it is safe for a 5 year old in a booster seat to sit back there?

I would be afraid of my child's head being so close to the rear or side window. I don't know about the design of the booster seat, but I would be concerned if there were little distance from the child's head and there were no type of padding to prevent the head from hitting the glass in the event of an accident. I've heard of adults being killed when rear-ended in the older regular cab model trucks that had no head rest (bench seat).

I for one cannot believe anyone, especially a child, would be safe in one of those seats. Believe me, I understand the problem - there are lots of us that would like to see a nicer Ranger. The only reason my 2003 Ranger still has those useless little seats in it is because I am too lazy to figure out how to take them out.

Would never let anyone ride in one.

I have a 5 year old. I can't find any saftey ratings for the king cab ranger with the sideways little seats front or side crash.

Do you think it is safe for a 5 year old in a booster seat to sit back there?

I think in the owner's manual it says all child seats are a bad idea in the back. Put em in the front seat and turn off the airbag.

• 3 weeks later...

its a little late but ill reply anyway. in mn its illegal to put child seats in sideways. its on obscure law but a law none the less. what i used to do on the rare occasion the family rode in my ranger, i put the 2 car seats in front with the air bag off. i put the oldest and the now ex-wife in the jump seats.

which is why i say the ranger needs a bench in the back. but ford seems to think the sport trac is a truck. or they are trying to get people to do what i did and get a 150.