2007 Ford Edge is "Four Wheels Down" towing capable

NLPRacing

This was in the original Ford Media press release:

Dingy Tow Compatibility Allows for Ease in Flat Towing

Customers who wish to flat tow their vehicles behind a motor home or camper have been limited to 4x4 vehicles that feature a transfer case with a neutral setting. The 6F features a unique technology that allows for flat towing without adversely affecting the transmission. A gravity-drip tray, mounted on top of the gearsets, collects the lubricant as it’s splashed up on the transmission. As the vehicle is being towed, lubricant drips slowly from the tray onto the gearsets, continuing to lubricate the transmission.

"It’s an elegant innovation," says Ram Krishnaswami, manager, 6F transmission. "It is a very simple piece of technology that works remarkably well."

Now, at the same link, there is no info about it. So I emailed Ford and here is the response I got:

-----Original Message-----

From: crcfmc@ford.com [mailto:crcfmc@ford.com]Sent: Tuesday, November 14, 2006 8:23 PM

Subject: Ford Motor Company

Thank you for contacting the Ford Motor Company Customer Relationship Center regarding the Four-Wheel-Down Towing capability of 2007 Ford Edge.

In an effort to assist you, we have researched this matter further. Our resources indicate that the 2007 Ford Edge is not recommended for four-wheel-down towing.

For more information on Four-Wheel-Down Towing, we recommend you to visit: https://www.fleet.ford.com/showroom/rv_trai...4wdtowAug06.pdf

Furthermore, the Customer Relationship Center does not function as a technical or diagnostic repair facility. Inquiries of a technical nature are best referred to our dealerships because they have certified technicians to serve as our experts with Ford and Lincoln-Mercury products, and the diagnostic tools and equipment to assist you. They are in the best position to discuss and review your request and in the rare case where a staff member of any dealership is unable to answer a technical question regarding one of our products, there are technical resources available exclusively to them from Ford Motor Company where answers may be obtained.

To locate a Ford or Lincoln-Mercury dealership, please visit www.genuineservice.com.

We consider the satisfaction of our customers one of our most important objectives. If you have any other inquiries or concerns, please feel free to contact us and we will be happy to address them for you.

Sincerely,

Iris Camille

Customer Relationship Center

Ford Motor Company

Does anybody know what happened? Or do you know who I could ask?

As a motorhome owner, the idea of being able to get an automatic transmission, non 4x4, Ford vehicle and be able to "flat tow" it behind my motorhome without a driveshaft disconnect or some other gimmick was pretty awesome. Many Honda's & Saturn's have had this option for years. Back in 1994 (when I was 18), I worked at a Saturn dealer. I saw many retired people come in and purchase LS2's & SW2's to tow behind their motorhomes. And they usually paid with cash. I sure would hate to see Ford keep losing out on sales due to a lack of "Four Wheel Down" towing capability in their cars and CUV's.

This was in the original Ford Media press release:

Now, at the same link, there is no info about it. So I emailed Ford and here is the response I got:

Does anybody know what happened? Or do you know who I could ask?

As a motorhome owner, the idea of being able to get an automatic transmission, non 4x4, Ford vehicle and be able to "flat tow" it behind my motorhome without a driveshaft disconnect or some other gimmick was pretty awesome. Many Honda's & Saturn's have had this option for years. Back in 1994 (when I was 18), I worked at a Saturn dealer. I saw many retired people come in and purchase LS2's & SW2's to tow behind their motorhomes. And they usually paid with cash. I sure would hate to see Ford keep losing out on sales due to a lack of "Four Wheel Down" towing capability in their cars and CUV's.

When I went to the Ford Product seminar for dealers a month back, I asked about this exact question. The team there said it was compatible for flat towing, but needed a kit. Again, that is what they told me. I'll just wait till the updated tow guides come out.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
The Edge CAN be towed 4 wheels down. Check out the brochure, it specifically mentions it and the dates of production when the capability started (basically all units produced).

There has been contradictory reports from both Ford for the Edge and GM for the Outlook & Aura (using the same tranny). It looks like the 6F tranny was designed for and capable of "4 wheel down" towing, but Ford & GM seem to be afraid to come out and "officially" say it due to liability. The 2007 Ford Towing Guide does not list the Edge as "4 wheels down" capable. I imagine that an official announcement will come out after some more real world testing. Hopefully it and the other 6F tranny equipped Fords will be listed as "4 wheels down" capable in the 2008 Ford Towing Guide. I worked at a Saturn dealer in 1994 and at that time, all their cars were "4 wheels down" capable. Plus, they sold a dealer installed tow bar kit. There were many retired couples that came in and purchased fully loaded SL2 & SW2 Saturns with tow bar set-up and many paid cash. Ford is missing out on quite a few sales due to dragging their feet on this.

According to the owner's manual of the 2007 Ford Edge, it IS flat towable.

RECREATIONAL TOWING

Follow these guidelines for your specific powertrain combination to tow your vehicle for personal travel (such as behind a motor home or a truck).

In case of roadside emergency with a disabled vehicle, please refer to Wrecker towing in the Roadside Emergencies chapter.

These guidelines are designed to prevent damage to your vehicle.

Front Wheel Drive (FWD) vehicles:

Tow your Front Wheel Drive vehicle with all four wheels on the ground or with the front wheels off the ground by using a tow dolly. If you are using a tow dolly follow the instructions specified by the equipment

provider.

All Wheel Drive (AWD) vehicles:

Tow your All Wheel Drive vehicle with all four wheels on the ground or with all four wheels off the ground using a vehicle transport trailer. Do not tow your All Wheel Drive vehicle with the front wheels off the ground (by using a tow dolly) and the rear wheels on the ground. This will cause damage to your AWD system. If you are using a vehicle transport trailer, follow the instruction specified by the equipment provider.

Note: If you tow your vehicle with all four wheels on the ground, follow

these instructions:

• Tow only in the forward direction

• Release the parking brake

• Place the transmission shift lever in Neutral (N)

• Turn the key in the ignition to the ACC position (refer to Starting in the Driving chapter). The ACC position also unlocks the steering wheel.

• Do not exceed 65 mph (105 km/h)

• Start the engine and allow it to run for five minutes at the beginning of each day and at each fuel stop.

2007 Ford Edge Manual

This should mean that any Ford with the 6F tranny should be flat towable.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've seen plenty of motorhomes towing small cars like the old Saturns mentioned earlier. But an Edge weighs 2 times what those Saturns weigh. Are there really that many motorhome owners that want to tow a 5000 lb vehicle?

Edited by Sporko

• 2 weeks later...
I've seen plenty of motorhomes towing small cars like the old Saturns mentioned earlier. But an Edge weighs 2 times what those Saturns weigh. Are there really that many motorhome owners that want to tow a 5000 lb vehicle?

The Edge actually closer to 4000 pounds then 5000 pounds and most newer class A's can tow at least 5000 pounds. If I didn't have a third kid on the way, I would already have an Edge in the driveway.

Speaking of towing, I get better gas mileage in my motorhome when I'm pulling the Mustang then when I'm not, but mostly because I drive slower when I'm towing. It gets almost 8 mpg at 55 mph, but only 6 mpg at 65 mph, whether I'm towing or not. Apparently the wind resistance for my rolling brick makes a bigger difference then weight & rolling resistance. Crazy...

We make all of the edge tranny's here at van dyke. I just finished the transmission class here at the plant last week. We completely disassembled and re-assembled the 6f transmission. It is 4 wheel down compatible. This was a fact highly stressed by our instructor. There is a special cup and tube assembly that directs fluid flow to all of the critical parts whenever the transmission is moving, running or not. This was incorporated when focus groups expressed an interest in having this feature. I can also tell you that this transmission is one of the best engineered that we have built. Lifetime fluid and filter, extra large parking pawl, premium gearsets, external TECM, etc. Lots of features to give longer life, robust durability, and ease of service.

This trans will also be in All 08 Taurus, Sable, Taurus X built in Chicago, starting about April 23 this year. So they will tow also.