bradlmj

New BON Member

• Blue Oval Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 06-November 06

Posted 06 November 2006 - 06:05 PM

Hello,

I wanted to let anyone know considering purchasing a 2004 Lincoln Aviator or any other model with the 4.6 DOHC engine that there is a defect in the engine head on some of the engines. TSB 06-5-13 points to the problem in that multiple cylinder misfires occur and then when checked the compression on one or several cylinders is bad. I have 67k miles on my Lincoln Aviator with the problem. Lincoln dealership told me it would cost 4k to fix the problem. Ford customer service says they cannot do anything to help. What a really bad idea it was for me to buy this product. Ford will not admit that there is a problem with this engine even though I think it is fairly obvious. I have reviewed other post with the same problem. Seems that Ford knows about the problem but since it occurs after the warranty expires I guess that is just to bad. You would have to be crazy to invest your money in such a poor product as a Lincoln Aviator. You lose way to much money when you buy it and then to have this slap in the face is adding insult to injury.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   jrushstang

jrushstang

New BON Member

• Blue Oval Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 15-July 10

Posted 15 July 2010 - 11:52 PM

I have a 2003 Aviator with same problem, and Ford customer service has been just as helpful.

My engine has 82,000 miles on it and silly me I expected more. Fords refusal to do anything is just unbelievable to me .

I expected so much more , I expected to get quality , and received neither that or any support for this inferior product.

This TSB 06-5-13 points out that cylinder #7 is the common problem, and that is the same on my

motor . This has left me with one clear answer about Ford , that they do not care.

I will never be taken by this company again. This was not my first Ford , but definitely my last.

currently my Lincoln Aviator 2003 is at the dealership , and they want only 7900.00 plus tax to repair it.

Edited by jrushstang, 16 July 2010 - 12:19 AM.

#3 OFFLINE   NickF1011

NickF1011

Moderator Shmoderator

• Blue Oval Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,712 posts
  • Joined 13-September 04
  • Current Vehicle:2011 Edge Sport, 1997 Mustang Cobra
  • Interests:-

Posted 16 July 2010 - 08:06 AM

So, let me get this straight: You have a problem with your engine long after the warranty period is expired, Ford quotes you a repair cost, and you are mad because you want them to do it for free? :headscratch:

The 4.6 DOHC in my Cobra was flawless for over 100,000 hard miles and 13 years before being rebuilt for my supercharger setup. :shrug:

Current Rides:
2011 Ford Edge Sport AWD
1997 Ford SVT Mustang Cobra

Previous Rides:
2004 Mazda 6s
1995 Saturn SL2
1994 Ford Explorer XLT 4x2
1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4
1993 Ford Taurus LX
1987 Ford Taurus GL

Moderator at TeamMustang.net

#4 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

fordmantpw's alter ego

• Blue Oval Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,971 posts
  • Joined 18-April 06
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fusion Ti (Ruby Red)

Posted 16 July 2010 - 08:26 AM

So, let me get this straight: You have a problem with your engine long after the warranty period is expired, Ford quotes you a repair cost, and you are mad because you want them to do it for free? :headscratch:

The 4.6 DOHC in my Cobra was flawless for over 100,000 hard miles and 13 years before being rebuilt for my supercharger setup. :shrug:

But Nick - it's a KNOWN problem. There is a TSB for it, therefore Ford should pay to fix it no matter when it happens. :stirpot:

The truth is it's a known problem on the DOHC 4.6L heads in cylinder 7. Ours had to be replaced during the warranty period. This also affected the Cobras with the same heads. But it only affects a small percentage of engines and most fail during the warranty period.

While I agree it would be nice if Ford would extend the warranty on the heads to 100K miles, I don't believe it's a requirement. The Aviator and those heads are long gone - for a reason. Keeping one past the warranty period without an extended warranty is rolling the dice.

#5 OFFLINE   EdselBryantFord

EdselBryantFord

New BON Member

• Blue Oval Member
  • Pip
  • 261 posts
  • Joined 21-April 10

Posted 16 July 2010 - 12:31 PM

But Nick - it's a KNOWN problem. There is a TSB for it, therefore Ford should pay to fix it no matter when it happens. :stirpot:

The truth is it's a known problem on the DOHC 4.6L heads in cylinder 7. Ours had to be replaced during the warranty period. This also affected the Cobras with the same heads. But it only affects a small percentage of engines and most fail during the warranty period.

While I agree it would be nice if Ford would extend the warranty on the heads to 100K miles, I don't believe it's a requirement. The Aviator and those heads are long gone - for a reason. Keeping one past the warranty period without an extended warranty is rolling the dice.

ford has dropped the ball on this one, these customers pay a premium for their cars, and we are throwing their high profit margins away!
  • V8-X likes this

#6 OFFLINE   NickF1011

NickF1011

Moderator Shmoderator

• Blue Oval Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,712 posts
  • Joined 13-September 04
  • Current Vehicle:2011 Edge Sport, 1997 Mustang Cobra
  • Interests:-

Posted 16 July 2010 - 12:35 PM

ford has dropped the ball on this one, these customers pay a premium for their cars, and we are throwing their high profit margins away!

So Ford should be repairing their engines for free no matter how long after the warranty period it fails?

Current Rides:
2011 Ford Edge Sport AWD
1997 Ford SVT Mustang Cobra

Previous Rides:
2004 Mazda 6s
1995 Saturn SL2
1994 Ford Explorer XLT 4x2
1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4
1993 Ford Taurus LX
1987 Ford Taurus GL

Moderator at TeamMustang.net

#7 OFFLINE   ford4v429

ford4v429

Blue Oval Member

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPip
  • 692 posts
  • Joined 29-July 05
  • Current Vehicle:Ford
  • Interests:.

Posted 17 July 2010 - 08:58 PM

in my opinion, if its the original owner, and there was a TSB about a bad casting design, ford should offer SOMETHING to prevent losing a buyer that bought one of their high end products and finding the engine was a poor design...its a big job, labor/dealer has to be expensive, but surely Ford could offer a break (maybe not free, but no profit level anyways- it WAS fords fault not the buyers)...I doubt ford has more than 500 bucks invested in a head- but just guessing- also guessing it retails for a couple grand.

personally, as much as I detest lawyers in general, and class action suits specifically, I think ford deserved a suit on the 5.4 plug blowout issue...IMO(not that it mattters) those buyers that maintained their vehicles properly and had a engine blow a plug for no reason other than poor design work deserved something from ford...at least 100k warrranty on it- I've know a few folks that are ex-For fans over the issue...they gotta make money, but first and foremost they need to make great products and man up when they screw up, or they erode their customer base.

First new car I've ever ordered- only new car ever wanted as much as needed. "thank you" Ford Motor Company for bringing back the fastback! First look on 2/29/2004 @ Cleveland Auto Show started this quest...love at first sight.

Vista Blue 2006 Mustang GT deluxe
5 speed standard
dark charcoal cloth
interior sport appearance pkg only option
ordered 7/26/05, carhauler damaged at delivery on 10/18/05...had to reorder car
finally got a test drive and picked up 12/17/2005

Thanks Kzinti for all the help tracking these cars!
#2 2007 vista blue pony V6 auto (wifes)
#3 2009 vista blue GT stick in storage with 3.1 miles (got a spare after seeing the '10 reveal...)

I'll also try to quit bashing the '10 rearend...my apologies to those that loved the 2010 rearend right out of the gate, to those that hated the 2005 rearend right out of the gate, and the other 90% of us that are probably just tired of hearing it...it is what it is, its a Mustang, and its got a nicer interior, and now better powertrain... I will still be praying the 2014 winds up with more universally accepted styling ideas, but for now still gotta say its the best ponycar on the market

#8 OFFLINE   EdselBryantFord

EdselBryantFord

New BON Member

• Blue Oval Member
  • Pip
  • 261 posts
  • Joined 21-April 10

Posted 19 July 2010 - 12:20 PM

So Ford should be repairing their engines for free no matter how long after the warranty period it fails?

well in light of the TSB and the considering the profit margin on Lincoln products, and the Lincoln customer loyalty, I would hope a company that wants to remain profitable wouldn't neglect such customers, but I guess the bean counters figure it will all work out in the end and we dont need older people paying big bucks for rebadged Ford products, but I'm not in control of the company any more.
  • V8-X likes this

#9 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

fordmantpw's alter ego

• Blue Oval Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,971 posts
  • Joined 18-April 06

Posted 19 July 2010 - 12:25 PM

well in light of the TSB and the considering the profit margin on Lincoln products, and the Lincoln customer loyalty, I would hope a company that wants to remain profitable wouldn't neglect such customers, but I guess the bean counters figure it will all work out in the end and we dont need older people paying big bucks for rebadged Ford products, but I'm not in control of the company any more.

Ford has gone out of their way and offered extended warranties for several issues - coils, heater cores, etc. It's a case by case decision and they decided not to do that with either the Aviator or Cobra engines which have the same problem.

You're never going to please everyone no matter what you do, so you have to pick your poison sometimes.

A class action lawsuit will only make the attorneys rich and the plaintiffs will end up getting a $500 discount on a future Ford product. They're not going to agree to fix them all for free or extend the warranty.

#10 OFFLINE   White99GT

White99GT

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,258 posts
  • Joined 01-January 02
  • Current Vehicle:2001 Ford F150 Supercrew
  • Interests:Anything motivated by the Otto cycle

Posted 19 July 2010 - 10:45 PM

The problem is the valve guides.

Do yourself a favor, look to the aftermarket for a fix. A nice set of bronze valve guides will cure what ails you, and find the best tech at the dealer and ask him to do the work on his own time under the table.

You will save thousands, going through the dealership system out of warranty is terrible with astronomical shop rates.

Get someone like this to rework the heads for you: www.krisstarnesracing.com
Yes, yes, head porter, but he will gladly take your money to rework with heads with high quality guides and seats minus port work.

Edited by White99GT, 19 July 2010 - 10:52 PM.

#11 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

fordmantpw's alter ego

• Blue Oval Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,971 posts
  • Joined 18-April 06

Posted 20 July 2010 - 08:26 AM

The problem is the valve guides.

Do yourself a favor, look to the aftermarket for a fix. A nice set of bronze valve guides will cure what ails you, and find the best tech at the dealer and ask him to do the work on his own time under the table.

You will save thousands, going through the dealership system out of warranty is terrible with astronomical shop rates.

Get someone like this to rework the heads for you: www.krisstarnesracing.com
Yes, yes, head porter, but he will gladly take your money to rework with heads with high quality guides and seats minus port work.

I'm pretty sure it's not the valve guides - it's a cooling problem on cylinder 7.

http://www.evenflowc...g.com/home.html
http://dagostinoraci...oducts_id=11294

Edited by akirby, 20 July 2010 - 08:36 AM.

#12 OFFLINE   JW

JW

Ranger Rebuilder

• Blue Oval Member
  • Pip
  • 400 posts
  • Joined 24-April 06
  • Current Vehicle:1994 Ranger/2003 Explorer

Posted 20 July 2010 - 03:32 PM

All I know is I'm glad I got my Limited instead of one of the Aviators I was considering...
JW
Putting BON Negatards on Ignore since 2007

VirtualFord.org Ranger Power Sports Explorer Forum

1994 Ranger SuperCab STX 4x2 4.0L 2003 Explorer Limited 4x4 4.6L 2004 Explorer XLT 4x4 4.0L

#13 OFFLINE   White99GT

White99GT

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,258 posts
  • Joined 01-January 02
  • Current Vehicle:2001 Ford F150 Supercrew
  • Interests:Anything motivated by the Otto cycle

Posted 20 July 2010 - 05:30 PM

I'm pretty sure it's not the valve guides - it's a cooling problem on cylinder 7.

http://www.evenflowc...g.com/home.html
http://dagostinoraci...oducts_id=11294

Sticking valve guides causing cylinder misfires is caused by factory powdered metal valve guides. 04-05 Aviators came from the factory with the revised coolant passages in the DS head and they still show up at the dealer with sticking valves (and resulting misfire codes), which are the symptoms described in the OP.