Jeep Liberty Unseats Escape As Compact SUV Leader.

robertlane

As was pointed out in the other thread the Mariner sales probably took away some Escape sales. I love my Escape, but I hope Ford has something in their back pocket to update it in the not too distant future.

Plus they were/are giving them away -- with a two year prepaid lease you can get a liberty for $1800! (that is $75 per month!) Granted you have to qualify for all the rebates, but still even if you don't you can get one for $3200 for the same two years. ($133 /month) The Cheapest Escape will run you about $4800, with one equipped like the liberty going for closer to $5700.

This plus the Fact that Ford hasn't made Stability Control Std on it yet, it should have been std for '06 and it better be std for '07 or it going to be the only SUV without it. (It tipped up in testing and that is the reason CR won't recommend it, and CR makes a big deal of it) -- while CR has its faults a lot of people read their publication and that can cost you 3000-5000 units a year.

The Escape is the typical Ford Motor Company Product -- Build it great to begin with and just let it Die in the market, never update it, revise it or do anything to it.

Before assuming the Escape is dieing on the vine look at the sales... Combined Escape/Mariner sales wer up over 4% over last year. Yep it's tanking :rolleyes: Remember the Escape's interior was refreshed early last year, and the Hybrids came out mid-year... You know what making an assumption makes you look like?

FYI

For what it is worth I qualify for both the Ford (dad) and Chrysler (b-i-l) employee purchase program. Over the holidays I was looking for a vehicle for my daughter’s commute to school (80 miles round trip). Comparing apples to apples comparably equipped Liberty and Escape 24 mo lease with 39000 miles the Liberty was $150.00 per month less. My dad felt strongly about me driving a non Ford (I don't want to be cut out of the will) I ended up with a Ranger 4x4 sc which was only $60.00 a month more.

Before assuming the Escape is dieing on the vine look at the sales... Combined Escape/Mariner sales wer up over 4% over last year. Yep it's tanking :rolleyes: Remember the Escape's interior was refreshed early last year, and the Hybrids came out mid-year... You know what making an assumption makes you look like?

Refresh is a bit much, they moved the shifter, put in a new guage cluster, and gave it some new headlights and a revised front bumper (square to round fog lights, wow....), hardly what should have been done for a vehicle on the market for 4 years. The Mariner may have taken a few Escape sales, but not as many as you'd think. Most people surprisingly don't cross shop Ford and Mercury -- that is the reason they keep it (Mercury) around.

• 2 weeks later...
Refresh is a bit much, they moved the shifter, put in a new guage cluster, and gave it some new headlights and a revised front bumper (square to round fog lights, wow....), hardly what should have been done for a vehicle on the market for 4 years. The Mariner may have taken a few Escape sales, but not as many as you'd think. Most people surprisingly don't cross shop Ford and Mercury -- that is the reason they keep it (Mercury) around.

Im usually a Ford shopper. My sister was in the market last year. She said "Im looking at the Escape"

My response was "Your gonna look at the Mariner first"

She did not need to go to the Escape but in all fairness I took her to check the Escape out. It was no contest.

Sure this isnt the majority. But one factual case. ;)

Well they also completely went over the vehicle with extensive sound-deadening, the refreshed facias, an all new AWD system, the availability of FWD at and 4x4 4cyl with the D23, the safety canopy, etc. I think when production on the D35 gets up to speed we will see a reworked Escape, probably 08. The sales figures on the Liberty do not state rental sales. A lot of times that GM shows a major 'sales' increase on a model, its because they sold vastly more rentals that year. The Colorado pickup is great example, as the vast majority are not retail units at all, you're lucky to ever see one without the little green "E" on the tailgate.

• 1 month later...
The Escape is the typical Ford Motor Company Product -- Build it great to begin with and just let it Die in the market, never update it, revise it or do anything to it.

Umm, does "never" mean next year? I guess the 2008 re-design is coming 'never' then! :happy feet: