4.0 SOHC recall

Hi Folks....Just bought a used 98 Explorer XLT (55,000 miles) for utility use around the house. 4.0 SOHC engine. I have also had a 97 and a 99 model with that engine. I know my 99 had a recall as I remember for valve train problems, and my warranty was extended.

Does anyone recall the details of that problem and if the 98 model year was affected? Thanks.

Just a normal Fl house. But did run across a good bargain on this 98 Explorer. We sold our 02 Explorer, and no one in family wants to drive this 98 full time, but I needed something to haul my bicycles, go camping with the grandkids, go to Home depot, etc. 2WD solid axle XLT Explorers are simple vehicles and will run almost forever with some maintenence and repair. And values are way down now.

• 1 month later...
Just a normal Fl house. But did run across a good bargain on this 98 Explorer. We sold our 02 Explorer, and no one in family wants to drive this 98 full time, but I needed something to haul my bicycles, go camping with the grandkids, go to Home depot, etc. 2WD solid axle XLT Explorers are simple vehicles and will run almost forever with some maintenence and repair. And values are way down now.

wonder if its possible to swap IRS in 04 with a live axle? <_<

It not possible without cuting the out the frame. I just looked under the truck and saw that the axles pass through the frame where the live axle would need the the usual hump. I suppose if you wanted to bad enough you could swap the rear frame section and all

:(:(:(:(

It not possible without cuting the out the frame. I just looked under the truck and saw that the axles pass through the frame where the live axle would need the the usual hump. I suppose if you wanted to bad enough you could swap the rear frame section and all

:(:(:(:(

You would have to really, really, really want it...lol

I can't think of any reason to do so.

This 98 Explorer is really a simple vehicle. It looks to have the Ranger front suspension with leaf springs in rear. I've had to do shocks all around, and a few interior fixes. I will also soon change out the front upper control arms and lower ball joints. I may even have to do a transmission in a few years.

As my beater, after buying this very clean 98 XLT for $6000, I figure I can drive it a long time, maybe another 100,000 miles, and not have over $10,000 in it including suspension repairs and maybe even a transmission.

I'm 64 years old, and this is my first used vehicle. But I just couldn't get interested in buying another hi dollar vehicle for utility use. I can fix anything that can go wrong with this vehicle cheaply and drive it a long time. I may even wash it once in a while.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ralph,

To answer your original question, the '98 Explorer did have the extended warranty for the timing chain guides on the SOHC 4.0 V6. I was notified by Ford for my '98, and no more than a month later I heard that very distinct "metallic noise" coming from the front of the engine as described by the extended warranty notice. Took it in and they replaced the chain guides, no problems. I would take your '98 down to the dealer and have them run the VIN through the computer to see if it has had the work performed, and if not, see if they will still do it. I remember the extended warranty notification stating something like 75k miles, but there might have been a time limitation as well.

If the timing chain guides go south, you will know right away. The noise is very distinct.

That '98 will make a great utility vehicle for you. We use ours daily for all-purpose transportation and recreation here in Colorado.

Edited by Kev-Mo