2007 Chevrolet Aveo Sedan - could it be a threat to the Focus?

Chiefdawg98

Now that Chevy is finally going to have a sedan version of the Aveo, do you think it would compete with the Focus or would the Cobalt be a better competitor for the Focus? Also, would Ford build a car smaller than the Focus?, and if they were, how would they do it while meeting Government standards for Federal safety?

Then of course they could bring back the Aspire or Festiva, but have more than one body style.

http://info.detnews.com/pix/photogalleries...taveo/index.htm

Link courtesy of AutoInsider Detroit

Edited by RangerCrazy

Now that Chevy is finally going to have a sedan version of the Aveo, do you think it would compete with the Focus or would the Cobalt be a better competitor for the Focus? Also, would Ford build a car smaller than the Focus?, and if they were, how would they do it while meeting Government standards for Federal safety?

Then of course they could bring back the Aspire or Festiva, but have more than one body style.

http://info.detnews.com/pix/photogalleries...taveo/index.htm

Link courtesy of AutoInsider Detroit

Driven an Aveo? Ford's safe for now, trust me. :D Chevy dealers are beating up GM over this one- it's a decent enough little car, but GM has a long history of not following through with captive imports (Vauxhall, Opel, various Izuzu models). The Cobalt, on the other hand, is competitive in it's market segment- and that segment includes the Focus. We see a lot of cross-shopping between the two. Generally, the Focus wins on price, but the Cobalt has more appeal to the slightly more upscale buyer (hey, I'm being honest).

(hey, I'm being honest)

Hey, its cool to be honest. I guess u are right. I have driven an Aveo before and they're nothin but crap. It was a manual and the trans was sloppy, wow. The throws are too long, the clutch takes a lot of effort, and the shift pattern is a bit odd - reverse is on the left side. The inside of the car reminds me of a KIA, man is it cheap!!!!! The fabric is blaw and seems dated. Plus the acres upon acres of cheap plastic and its hard plastic. I am also not crazy about Cobalts either. I feel more comfortable in a Focus than an Aveo (I feel more comfortable in any Ford compared to anything else). You may pay more for a Focus, but if you compare them closely (especially inside), then you will understand why you paid more.

I also realized, the sedan is already out, but there haven't been too many of them. The hatch model sells more.

Edited by RangerCrazy

I also realized, the sedan is already out, but there haven't been too many of them. The hatch model sells more.

I should have explained that "more upscale" remark. Focus's are strongest at the lower price points- a "loaded" Focus presents an inventory problem. Cobalts, on the other hand, sell much better in the higher trim levels. Also true in the HHR, which is really just a stylish Cobalt Wagon. I'm thinking the Malibu is toast though- the Cobalts better looking and cheaper, the Fusion is a much nicer, better looking car.

The inside of the car reminds me of a KIA, man is it cheap!!!!! The fabric is blaw and seems dated. Plus the acres upon acres of cheap plastic and its hard plastic.

RC:

When was the last time you were in a new KIA?

Have you check out the interiors of the new Spectra? Or the Sportage?

I have, and for the money, I think they're d-mn nice! The controls are also laid out very intelligently. I also know that the Spectra's dash, door panels, and all armrests are nicely padded or made from soft plastic/foam materials. The Sportage dashboard is made of a hard plastic compound however.

Here are some pics:

New Spectra5

59.jpg

51.jpg

Rear seat: http://media.automotive.com/evox/stilllib/...2005/5ha/52.jpg

47.jpg

New Spectra EX:

2004%20Spectra%20Interior.jpg

51.jpg

Rear seat: http://us.autos1.yimg.com/img.autos.yahoo...._18_346x270.jpg

032749-396x249.jpg

New Sportage

sportage_interior.jpg

51.jpg

2005KiaSportage_1808_LG.jpg

-Ovaltine

Edited by Ovaltine

The Daweoo Aveo (I mean Chevrolet), is a hideous car. Short of fuel economy, I found absolutally nothing to recommend it.

I recently had one, while the Tribute got a new A/C compressor. About the only good thing I could say about it, is that it was better than the Dodge Dakota SLT 4x4 (V6) that I had before it. Thats based on what you get for the money.

The Aveo handles horribly, rides awfully, is incredibly cheap inside (even for the price), and made me think that I would die instantly, even if I only hit a curb.

To me, the Focus is a far superior car to the Cobalt............. due to the driving dynamics. I enjoy driving.

To me, the Focus is a far superior car to the Cobalt............. due to the driving dynamics. I enjoy driving.

They're.... different. The Cobalt has a "heavier" feel to it, but is not as nimble or quick as a Focus. On the other hand, it's quieter, and offers more features in uplevel trim (trip computers, XM, etc). Which probably explains what we're seeing- take a base Focus against a base Cobalt, and you might prefer the Focus. Go into a LT, SS, or blown SS Cobalt, and it's a whole different world.

Aveo, roller skate size and power, and EPA rated at mid 20's in city and mid 30's on the highway.

My wife had a larger car, a Festiva, that got 43 combined and that was with me driving it like I stole it.

Aveo is a loser. My Ranger has the same city EPA rating as this joke of a car.

Aveo, roller skate size and power, and EPA rated at mid 20's in city and mid 30's on the highway.

My wife had a larger car, a Festiva, that got 43 combined and that was with me driving it like I stole it.

Aveo is a loser. My Ranger has the same city EPA rating as this joke of a car.

Call the Aveo what you want, but it's not a loser by any means. This car currently OWNS the subcompact market in the U.S. Compare weight and power in that Festiva to the Aveo and you'll see why your fuel economy was better. The Aveo might not be pretty, but obviously it has an audience. Ford needs to get into this market ASAP.

Call the Aveo what you want, but it's not a loser by any means. This car currently OWNS the subcompact market in the U.S. Compare weight and power in that Festiva to the Aveo and you'll see why your fuel economy was better. The Aveo might not be pretty, but obviously it has an audience. Ford needs to get into this market ASAP.

I second that. My sister would be driving a Ford Fiesta or whatever they would call the sub-Focus, if Ford actually had one. They need to realize that a good, dependable small car is desperately needed for entry level buyers. That way, if they like their experience with it, they would be more likely to trade up to a Focus or Fusion later. How many Cobalt's, Malibu's and Impala's do you think Chevy will sell in the next few years if people end up liking their goofy little Aveo's? BTW, my sister loves hers but promises me she'll get a Ford next time. :lol:

Edited by NLPRacing

Look at you guys! Talking about mini-cars! Something I personally would never occur here. I feel that that there are many excellent such cars on sale around the world that would do well here. Besides, Toyota, Nissan and Honda will be introducing models such as these very soon. I'm sure they will be on display at the NAISA, wish I could go. I also feel that thses cars can be an excellent alternative for daily use transportation. Of course, we can pick any kind of car we want, and can have more than one as well. Cool. I can't wait to see how they play out in this market.

I stand by my original statement. The Aveo is a joke and it's sales are not setting the world on fire. And for it's limited size, power, and weight, it's mileage numbers are horribly low.

Here's my point:

Aveo: Manual: 26/35

Auto: 24/34

Focus: Manual: 26/34

Auto: 26/32

Honda Civic: Manual: 30/40

Auto: 30/38

Toyota Corola: Manual: 32/41

I stand by my original statement. The Aveo is a joke and it's sales are not setting the world on fire. And for it's limited size, power, and weight, it's mileage numbers are horribly low.

Here's my point:

Aveo: Manual: 26/35

Auto: 24/34

Focus: Manual: 26/34

Auto: 26/32

Honda Civic: Manual: 30/40

Toyota Corolla: Manual: 32/41

You are absolutely right, it is a joke of a car and it should get better mileage than that. Think about this for a minute, an Aveo is at least $5000 less than the examples above. For $5000, an average Aveo owner can drive over 75,000 miles. And for every Aveo sold, that's money going into GM's pocket and not Ford, Toyota, Honda, Kia, etc. Ford needs an Aveo type car, just cheap, basic, mediocre transportation that keeps people out of the Kia, Hyundai, Suzuki, etc. showrooms. Hopefully if Mazda imports the Mazda2, Ford will get a version that will compete with the Aveo, Rio, Accent, Scion's, and anything anybody else comes out with.

Problem with the Focus was that it is "out of style", and buyers have moved on. Time to re-tool and get an all new Focus on the street.

Most compact buyers [and I mean the general public, not the sport compact kids] don't care about 'driving dynamics' and want value, style, and features. A 7 year old Focus [it's 2006 kids] isn't going to cut it anymore, no matter how many 'enthusiasts' like it

Edited by 630land

• 2 weeks later...