Custom Search

2019 Lincoln Aviator Introduced Here !

Welcome to Blue Oval Forums

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to Blue Oval Forums.  You must first register to create topics and post replies. Registration is a quick and easy process and only takes a minute.  Be apart of Blue Oval Forums by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images
  • Use the Shout feature and more. . .
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Towing with the 2018 Navigator

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   trupilot

trupilot

New BON Member

• Blue Oval Member
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Joined 04-June 18
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • Current Vehicle:f-150

Posted 08 July 2018 - 11:26 PM

I have a reserve navi on order with the max tow option.  I will tow a boat weighing approximately 6500 lbs.

The book says a weight distributing hitch is required to achieve the maximum 8300 lbs.  My question is,

what is the max weight, below which a weight distributing hitch would not be required?  In addition to this

information, a discussion/tips of the 2018 navigator as a tow vehicle would be appreciated.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   boredinbirmingham

boredinbirmingham

New BON Member

• Blue Oval Member
  • Pip
  • 232 posts
  • Joined 06-August 17
  • Current Vehicle:2018 Navigator Reserve

Posted 09 July 2018 - 05:05 PM

I have a reserve navi on order with the max tow option.  I will tow a boat weighing approximately 6500 lbs.
The book says a weight distributing hitch is required to achieve the maximum 8300 lbs.  My question is,
what is the max weight, below which a weight distributing hitch would not be required?  In addition to this
information, a discussion/tips of the 2018 navigator as a tow vehicle would be appreciated.

I included the pages from the manual about the weight distribution hitch, this may help answer your question. If you have a VIN you can use it to download your owners manual online if you want, I uploaded mine to my phones kindle app so I have access to it whenever I want so I dont have to keep he giant thing in the glovebox. As for tips towing, as I dont tow much and when I do its just a utility trailer, make sure to program the trailer in the tow settings and it will track your mileage and help you with reversing your trailer. The Navigator automatically goes into tow/haul mode when you connect the trailer power cable unlike the Expedition where you have to manually select tow/haul. Hope this helps.

Attached Files

#3 OFFLINE   fordmantpw

fordmantpw

akirby's stunt double

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10,124 posts
  • Joined 30-January 06
  • Region:U.S. Mississippi Valley
  • Current Vehicle:2017 F350 Crew Cab 4x4 PowerStroke Diesel

Posted 09 July 2018 - 09:34 PM

A boat usually has less tongue weight than normal, so you should be fine with a 6500 lb boat without a weight distributing hitch.

photo-thumb-15254.jpg

Future Vehicles
2020 Ford Explorer/Lincoln Aviator

Current Vehicles
'17 F350 Super Duty Crew Cab, Lariat, 4x4, 6.7L Diesel

'10 Mercury Milan

'09 Ford Flex Limited (wife's)

Past Vehicles
'08 F250 Super Duty Crew Cab, Lariat, 4x4, 6.4L Diesel
'05 Ford F150 XLT SuperCrew 4x4 5.4 - sold @53k, not a single problem
'03 Ford Escape XLT
(wife's) Traded at 75k for '09 Flex
'99 Ford F150 XLT Regular Cab 4x4 5.4 - Sold @136k, then totaled by the new owner on the way to its new home :(
'96 Chevrolet Cavalier (wife's - she brought it into the marriage)
'86 Ford Bronco II XLT 4x4 5 Speed 2.9L - what a dog, and it cracked heads like no tomorrow. 150k+ on 4 engines

#4 OFFLINE   trupilot

trupilot

New BON Member

• Blue Oval Member
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Joined 04-June 18

Posted 10 July 2018 - 12:10 AM

Thanks BinB.  I should be able to get the manual, hoping to take delivery in four or five weeks. Time to start studying.

I currently have a 2012 F-150 with a 2.7 ecoboost and the factory tow package.  It pulls the rig with no problem.  The Navi

powertrain will be a significant upgrade, so no worries there.  My rig is right at the breakpoint between needing or not needing 

the extra expense and complication of the weight distribution hitch.  I'm wondering if I could be risking voiding my warranty by

not following the book to the letter?  The boat stays at the marina almost 100% of the time.  I'll only tow it two or three times a year, less than 500

miles on flat Florida coastal roads.

#5 OFFLINE   boredinbirmingham

boredinbirmingham

New BON Member

• Blue Oval Member
  • Pip
  • 232 posts
  • Joined 06-August 17
  • Current Vehicle:2018 Navigator Reserve

Posted 10 July 2018 - 11:50 AM

Thanks BinB.  I should be able to get the manual, hoping to take delivery in four or five weeks. Time to start studying.
I currently have a 2012 F-150 with a 2.7 ecoboost and the factory tow package.  It pulls the rig with no problem.  The Navi
powertrain will be a significant upgrade, so no worries there.  My rig is right at the breakpoint between needing or not needing 
the extra expense and complication of the weight distribution hitch.  I'm wondering if I could be risking voiding my warranty by
not following the book to the letter?  The boat stays at the marina almost 100% of the time.  I'll only tow it two or three times a year, less than 500
miles on flat Florida coastal roads.

I dont know what to tell you other than if its close enough to cause you to worry maybe better to bite the bullet and go with the weight distribution hitch. Ive never used one so idk how they work but Id have to think the listed weight on the boat and how it actually measures have to be a little different especially after being in the water and having gear on it. I dont own or have ever towed a big boat so Im totally assuming here.

#6 OFFLINE   trupilot

trupilot

New BON Member

• Blue Oval Member
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Joined 04-June 18

Posted 11 July 2018 - 12:25 PM

The long wait for this vehicle {put my deposit down 27 March} is giving me the time to overthink, maybe.  

I'll try to refresh my patience and wait to actually get the vehicle.  Then, hook up the boat and do what makes

the most sense in the real world.  I would still appreciate any comments from forum members on the Navigator

as a tow vehicle.

Custom Search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service | DMCA ·