Engineers Are Investigating Why This Ford GT Burned To The Ground In Germany

Sometimes theres no physical evidence left to verify exactly what happened

But the speed at which the car was consumed would have been terrifying

Rapid replacement will go a long way towards Ford putting this behind them as an unfortunate one off.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

Rapid replacement will go a long way towards Ford putting this behind them as an unfortunate one off.

That would be the best way to do it. Spend lots of money now to get it done right with replacement of defective parts and move on with it. Unlike the infamous GM ignition switch debacle they tried to keep quiet about which took many lives.

That would be the best way to do it. Spend lots of money now to get it done right with replacement of defective parts and move on with it. Unlike the infamous GM ignition switch debacle they tried to keep quiet about which took many lives.

But is it really all that much money to Ford?

I'm betting that this is on the manufacturer, Multimac and maybe Ford put the

hard word on them to replace the car as something on their end caused this...

While it could be defective parts, it seems more like something loose/leaking?

Some say that Ford makes no money out of the Gt project but it's a lot different

to all other Ford project, it was developed in collaboration with Multimac who did

a lot of the inspirational engineering eureka moments that made the car possible.

Edited by jpd80

The money would be spent in providing rental cars to customers to use while the customers trucks are in for repairs. Sure the parts are paid by the manufacturers who made the defective parts, it's still the time having to replace the parts that are being spent. Look at the Powerstroke repairs Ford had to do with time and labor of repairs. Then the Takata airbags debacle too with time and labor to replace the defective airbags even though Takata pays Ford for replacement costs.

We're talking about one Ford GT and at this stage probably a one off.

The owner, a German citizen owns a lot of exotic cars, so probably

doesn't need or want a rental., he just wanted a replacement car.

If any any other GTs were affected the same way then Ford would be

compelled to issued a "do not drive" on the rest of them but you can bet

that most or all of them have already had a safety check for fuel leaks.

Edited by jpd80

The money would be spent in providing rental cars to customers to use while the customers trucks are in for repairs. Sure the parts are paid by the manufacturers who made the defective parts, it's still the time having to replace the parts that are being spent. Look at the Powerstroke repairs Ford had to do with time and labor of repairs. Then the Takata airbags debacle too with time and labor to replace the defective airbags even though Takata pays Ford for replacement costs.

Let’s not blow this out of proportion. This is apparently a one-off situation; there haven’t been any reports of other fires. Even if it weren’t, if Ford had to replace every one of the GTs, they could take the money out of petty cash; they are expensive, but there just aren’t very many of them.

• Like 2

Let’s not blow this out of proportion. This is apparently a one-off situation; there haven’t been any reports of other fires. Even if it weren’t, if Ford had to replace every one of the GTs, they could take the money out of petty cash; they are expensive, but there just aren’t very many of them.

That was just my hypothetical on if a full blown recall were to happen. Which isn't likely if just one car.

By the way, I just now realize that this thread is about Ford GT. I had seen another thread about the F-150 seat belt fires that are more serious and on all the 2015-2018 trucks. I had multiple threads open in separate tabs on my browser and was going through the tabs at a time. I usually look up at thread title or link title before posting but I mistakenly typed in all my comments on this one thinking it was the F-150 seatbelt issue, hence me 'blowing it out of proportion', on this thread about GT fire. I apologize about that and it was one of those nights with lots and lots of open tabs and got lost. That's why I mentioned the costs of giving out rental cars to customers while their trucks were in shops. I'm sure you read that and thinking 'trucks, huh?' lol But yes, you're right about just one car (GT) and we'll see what happens. But as for the F-150, it would be time- and money-consuming thing to recall effected trucks from the 2015-2018... only if a full-blown recall is issued. But anyways, back on the Ford GT issue...

• Like 1

Normally yes, but Takata is a bad case they went bankrupt so Ford is on the hook for the cost of the airbags ($299.1 million, they took the charge in the 2nd quarter) as well as rentals they are providing to customer so they don't drive the vehicles until parts are available. Ford is providing rentals to people with 10-15 year old vehicles, They should just offer those people additional trade in money to get them into new cars. Give someone KBB good value plus xxx depending on what they buy plus other rebates on trade in and get them into a new vehicle. They offer $35-$45 for rentals that could take months to get the parts in.

• Like 1

Normally yes, but Takata is a bad case they went bankrupt so Ford is on the hook for the cost of the airbags ($299.1 million, they took the charge in the 2nd quarter) as well as rentals they are providing to customer so they don't drive the vehicles until parts are available. Ford is providing rentals to people with 10-15 year old vehicles, They should just offer those people additional trade in money to get them into new cars. Give someone KBB good value plus xxx depending on what they buy plus other rebates on trade in and get them into a new vehicle. They offer $35-$45 for rentals that could take months to get the parts in.

Yep. We've got a 2010 Milan that is parked in the garage while my wife drives a loaner. We had 2 Focii (dealership loaner, turned in around 2500 miles each) and she just got sent to Enterprise yesterday and picked up a Hyundai Tucson. The Focus was nicer.

Ford's probably in it for close to $2k already in loaners for us, with likely another month or more to go. All that on a car that's worth $6500. With that said, though, we likely wouldn't have traded it in on a new one with that offer...the Milan will be my daughter's when she turns 16 next year, so a new Fusion would be out of the question.

• Like 1

Yep. We've got a 2010 Milan that is parked in the garage while my wife drives a loaner. We had 2 Focii (dealership loaner, turned in around 2500 miles each) and she just got sent to Enterprise yesterday and picked up a Hyundai Tucson.

That is a whole other issue. Co-worker has i think a 2007 Edge, her loaner is a 2018 Rogue, she goes on and on how much better the Rogue is than her Edge and how once this recall is done she is probably going to trade in her Edge and get a Rogue. But "Why do it now as I have a free new car to drive".Told her to wait for the new Edge before she does anything as is going on update number 3 from when she bought hers. Ford is giving its old customers new competitor vehicles to drive and in most of the cases they are going to be way nicer than the older Ford vehicle they own.

That is a whole other issue. Co-worker has i think a 2007 Edge, her loaner is a 2018 Rogue, she goes on and on how much better the Rogue is than her Edge and how once this recall is done she is probably going to trade in her Edge and get a Rogue. But "Why do it now as I have a free new car to drive".Told her to wait for the new Edge before she does anything as is going on update number 3 from when she bought hers. Ford is giving its old customers new competitor vehicles to drive and in most of the cases they are going to be way nicer than the older Ford vehicle they own.

I agree with you, but I'm not sure what they can do to remedy it. Our dealer has handed out 60+ loaners and are basically out and it's not a big dealer (town of 40k). Enterprise doesn't have many Fords, and they tried to give my wife an Expedition to get a Ford (we would have to pay the difference obviously). However, outside of the new electronics in the Tuscon, our 8 year old Milan is just as nice as the new Hyundai. The engine is strangely coarse at idle, making the Milan seem like a nice, quiet luxury vehicle. Plus, the hatch doesn't open with the fob like it is supposed to either...it just flashes the flashers at us a few times.

The biggest bummer...my daughter has her learner's permit, and just doesn't feel comfortable driving the Flex because it's so big, so she's mostly out of luck until we get the Milan back.