Engineers Are Investigating Why This Ford GT Burned To The Ground In Germany

While four Ford GTs were racing around the Circuit de la Sarthe in Le Mans, France over the weekend, a regular old street legal version burned to the ground outside Munich, Germany. It seems that nobody was hurt, but you can stick a fork in this Ford because it’s definitely done.

German news outlet Rosenheim 24 reported that on Saturday, June 16 in the early afternoon, fire crews responded to a call at the Ostermünchener Bahnhof (Bahnhof means train station) and were able to extinguish the flames coming from the $500,000 car and contain what Google translated as “an oil spill.”

I’m sure the car was leaking all its functional fluids, considering the fact that the entire engine bay appears to have been consumed by flames.

Fortunately the Germans are also reporting that the car’s occupants, apparently 52-year-old man and his son, were able to get out unhurt before the conflagration consumed the car.

Police from the region of Bad Aibling issued a release stating that “According to license plate, the vehicle comes from the state capital or the district of Munich. The fire seems to have broken out at the rear of the vehicle.” (Translated from German.)

Carscoops said that “The owner of this GT is well known in the German car scene and owns a plethora of supercars and hypercars,” which would make sense but I haven’t seen confirmed elsewhere. The car allegedly only had about 40 miles on its odometer.

As to what caused the fire, we reached out to Ford and while the company is aware of the incident, its engineers are still in the process of determining exactly what happened.

Locals news speculates that “a technical failure” took place (which–no shit). I suppose it definitely does look like the fire started in the engine bay, as opposed to an errant cigarette in the cabin or something, but I’m very curious to find out exactly what happened and hopefully we’ll get that information from Ford and/or local crash investigators soon.

https://jalopnik.com/engineers-are-investigating-why-this-ford-gt-burned-to-1826921253

Glad everyone is OK.

But, wow, it hurts to see that.

If it is a technical failure, it can damage the reputation of the GT and cause serious injury to Ford. There are still 700 Ford GT's to be sold.If it is flawed, hopefully it will be of the specific model, otherwise a recall would have to be carried out, which would also increase the image loss of the car. I think that could be serious.

How many other Ford GT's have caught fire?

I hope no more. That's why I'm worried. I think this investigation might or may not be finding out if there's something wrong that can be repaired to avoid cases like this. It's a huge glitch in a 500k car.

Ford GT is an opportunity for Ford to show that it can make 500k supercars. This car could be the gateway to others Ford GTs and elevate the brand's landing through the high-value Supersports car segment. You can't screw it up now. When an American brand made a 500k car that is having the acceptance of the Ford GT? And now fails with one of the largest collectors of German supersports. I hope that this concern is not just mine and the investigative engineers

Tesla has had a spontaneous combustion problem for a while

Ford GT is Ford's current flagship. It's where it shows its greatest Ford technologies and performance capability in a Ford car, and also where Ford shows its automotive legacy and tradition. It's a name as respectable as Mustang. You should all be careful with the name "Ford GT."

Edited by RadicalX

Most likely human error during assembly or dealer prep. Probably a loose oil or coolant cap or maybe a hose. Same thing happened to Escape back in 2012 - factory coolant cap was cross threaded.

Shouldn't happen but probably not an issue for other GTs.

Ford GT is an opportunity for Ford to show that it can make 500k supercars. This car could be the gateway to others Ford GTs and elevate the brand's landing through the high-value Supersports car segment. You can't screw it up now. When an American brand made a 500k car that is having the acceptance of the Ford GT? And now fails with one of the largest collectors of German supersports. I hope that this concern is not just mine and the investigative engineers

Yep, youre right, the GT is a piece of shit and should have never been sold to the public [/sarcasm]

Were you there? Did you take pictures? The speed, the speed, the speed......oh brother!

Chill out man, you're far too intense over something that doesn't really matter, we'll find out in time...

Edited by jpd80

You were the one that made the statement with ZERO proof of what happened.

It was a suggestion, nothing more.

And that observation was based on an Everest press vehicle going up in flames last year,

most people thought it was a fuel leak but Ford engineers quickly worked out it was loose battery cables.

Edited by jpd80

It was a suggestion, nothing more.

And that observation was based on an Everest press vehicle going up in flames last year,

most people thought it was a fuel leak but Ford engineers quickly worked out it was loose battery cables.

I see the correlation between a mass produced SUV and a hand built Supercar.....NOT!

Edited by coupe3w

A preproduction 2016 Super Duty burned up in testing too.

Yes, that was scary, all you can do is get out and step away...

Ok I might be premature in suggesting an electrical issue, I now realize that it could be other things

or a combination of things and with a engine compartment behind the driver, he may not have noticed

the flames until it was well alight, I'm sure that it would have seemed quite a sudden event to the driver.....

Edited by jpd80

• 1 month later...