Ford/VW In Talks to Develop Vehicles Together

Interesting comments from a Motley Fool article;

Ford, of course, is a major player in commercial vehicles in the U.S. and Europe. Not only does it sell hundreds of thousands of F-Series pickups to commercial customers every year, its Transit line of commercial vans is a global best-seller. But (by truck standards, at least) those are mostly smaller vehicles; while Ford does have a heavy-truck business, it's fairly small -- and it doesn't make anything like a big tractor-trailer truck or a full-size bus.

VW, on the other hand, does make big trucks and buses. Its Scania and MAN subsidiaries, which build heavy trucks, buses, and big engines, generated over 27 billion euros ($31 billion) in revenue last year. There's also a VW-brand commercial-vehicle business, which makes vans and a small pickup that compete with Ford's offerings, but its global sales trail Ford's in those segments.

Could Ford benefit by working with VW on heavier trucks? Could VW benefit by working with Ford on commercial vans? Could both benefit by pooling their technology and knowledge, perhaps in a joint effort to create self-driving commercial vehicles?

Those are probably among the questions that Ford and VW are asking each other right now.

Doesn't mention by the way the big trucks VW builds in SA. Also I have to wonder, with VW's significant stake in Navistar-which article also does not mention-, and given fact Navistar is building it's sales back up after its EGR fiasco, is it logical that VW would want to see a resurgence by Ford in heavy trucks?

Then again, perhaps their attitude is if they can get a piece of the action from two US players, is that better than from just one?

Sounds like this would be a huge influx of tech for Ford Cargo heavy trucks...

Sounds like this would be a huge influx of tech for Ford Cargo heavy trucks...

No doubt but IF big trucks were involved I would hope we would see perhaps some additional diesel options for 750-and "850"? My bet however is that this is just an effort by the VW camel to get its nose under the US van tent!

I have ALWAYS said Ford and VW should be married, they tend to develop technologies (especially drivetrains and platforms) in sync with each other, although I would say VW has a clear lead over Ford on just about everything besides the US market. I wouldn't even question a merger...I would actually welcome it...not that it's happening here of course.

Edited by Assimilator
  • Like 1

I see....

1. Transit Connect and Caddy
2. Transit and Transporter.

Those two commercial vans and passenger van groups will be a big project
with lots of potential savings for both companies, also an opportunity for
both to lock in big, long term contracts with suppliers at super low prices.

It's also a great opportunity to share development costs on things lie hybrid
and full electric vans, significantly reducing costs while making the projects
commercially viable thanks to partnering.

I see....

3. Cargo and Scania/MAN

The only way I could think of to screw up Ford's sedan offerings strategy more than it already is would be letting VW get involved.

Nobody, absolutely nobody, wants a passat with a blue oval on the hood. Heck - few even want one with a VW emblem on the hood.

What about a blue oval on an Audi?

When did VW pick up Bentley? I thought they were a part of Aston Martin....

Bentley Motors Limited (/ˈbɛntli/) is a Britishmanufacturer and marketer of luxury cars and SUVs—and a subsidiary of Volkswagen AG since 1998. Headquartered in Crewe, England, the company was founded as Bentley Motors Limited by W. O.

I don't trust VW anymore than I can throw them! They're already in the process of taking over International lock stock and barrel. They'e arrogant to the point of where one top official said in regard to their emission scandal, "lucky for us, Americans forget!" As far as Ford Otosan goes, they export the Cargo to 65 countries! So I don't see why Ford would give that up, but I can see VW wanting to get rid of Ford in Asia like Daimler did to Ford back in 1997 with regard to the L-series class 8 segment.

• Like 1

I see....

Transit is the same size as Crafter not Transporter.

Basically, Ford and VW have huge overlaps in light commercial vehicles. Excluding what we would call Class 7 and 8 trucks in the US (MAN/Scania/VW Constellation and Ford Otosan Cargo lines), the line up is basically identical outside North America.

Vans

Fiesta Van <--> Polo Van

Transit Courier <--> n/a

Transit Connect <--> Caddy

Transit Custom <--> Transporter

Transit <--> Crafter

Conventional trucks

n/a <--> Saveiro (compact pickup sold in South America)

Ranger <--> Amarok

F-series <--> n/a

E-series <--> n/a

Cab forward trucks

Cargo C816 <--> Delivery (~class 3/4 medium duty cab forward sold in South America)

Cargo C1500/1700 <--> Worker (~class 5/6 medium duty cab forward sold in South America)

Edited by bzcat
  • Like 1

Transit is the same size as Crafter not Transporter.

Basically, Ford and VW have huge overlaps in light commercial vehicles. Excluding what we would call Class 7 and 8 trucks in the US (MAN/Scania/VW Constellation and Ford Otosan Cargo lines), the line up is basically identical outside North America.

I was talking about the Euro FWD Transt, that is aligned with transporter,

I suspect that for now it's only certain commercial vehicles..

No more V-12's for the Aston from Ford now either. I think they have a 5.0 L V-8 from Porsche.

I seem to recall that the DB 11 V-12 is made by Ford at Cologne. IDK if the legacy naturally-aspirated V-12 is still being made, though. That said, they do have a Daimler V-8 for the DB 11, also.

I was talking about the Euro FWD Transt, that is aligned with transporter,

I suspect that for now it's only certain commercial vehicles..

Fullsize FWD Transit is aligned with FWD Crafter. They are both available in FWD, AWD, and RWD configurations depending on size, GVWR, and body styles.

Transit Custom is the same size as Transporter. They are both mid size FWD vans. Although VW Transporter truck while Ford just has vans.

https://vanadvisor.com/road-tests/volkswagen-crafter-review-2017

Edited by bzcat

Fullsize FWD Transit is aligned with FWD Crafter. They are both available in FWD, AWD, and RWD configurations depending on size, GVWR, and body styles.

Transit Custom is the same size as Transporter. They are both mid size FWD vans. Although VW Transporter truck while Ford just has vans.

https://vanadvisor.com/road-tests/volkswagen-crafter-review-2017

And what did I just say, wink.

An interesting opinion piece in AN from their British correspondent: http://www.autonews.com/article/20180625/BLOG06/306259941/vw-could-benefit-most-in-u-s-from-ford-alliance?cciid=email-autonews-daily

Excerpt:

Where would it make sense for the two auto giants to join forces?

Ford doesn't break out commercial vehicle sales but claims to be the world's biggest van manufacturer thanks to its Transit range. The company also has a stranglehold on the U.S. pickup market with the F-150. Ford has previously said it doesn't need a van partner (unlike almost every other LCV manufacturer in Europe) because its sales volume gives it enough scale. On the face of it, Ford doesn't need help.

VW is weaker. Its commercial vehicles division had a good year in 2017 with a profit margin of 7.2 percent on unit sales of almost half a million. But is sells no vehicles in the U.S., mainly because its key Caravelle/Transporter model is too expensive to sell there.

Joining with Ford could allow VW to save costs on the next generation and also potentially give the German automaker access to Ford factories in the U.S, thus avoiding the U.S.'s 25 percent import tariff on vans.

VW also needs to replace its expensive Amarok pickup, which launched in 2012. Basing a new generation on the Ford Ranger, Europe's best-selling one-ton pickup, would make a lot of sense.

Edited by Harley Lover