Ford/VW In Talks to Develop Vehicles Together

Ford once explored to possibility of sharing info with Toyota on hybrid pickups. They both decided to go their own ways and this may end up like that too.

Since the diesel debacle, VW has been spending tons of money on EV development. Maybe that's what Ford is interested in from VW.

• Like 1

Ford once explored to possibility of sharing info with Toyota on hybrid pickups. They both decided to go their own ways and this may end up like that too.

Since the diesel debacle, VW has been spending tons of money on EV development. Maybe that's what Ford is interested in from VW.

I would argue that Ford is way ahead of VW on EV development.

It may be as simple as added volume for Ford. Let's say VW basically gets Ford to manufacture their vans in Europe and NA and that doubles Ford's worldwide volume which increases productivity and plant utilization and generates considerable per unit revenue and profit. That's a win/win for Ford even if they get nothing else from VW. Like Ford did with Mazda on Ranger and Explorer.

Does it provide Ford access to products in markets above Class 6 and 7 that Ford's currently in?

So VW benefits from Ford vans, while Ford benefits in larger trucks?

Well for sure VW is a big player in SA with their big trucks-and they own MAN and Scania-two big players in their own right-while Ford is in class 6 nd 7 in US in a limited way and dabbles in big trucks in SA (Brazil) and in Turkey through Otosan-which is about to launch an all new large truck.

Well we have ZERO info other than something with vans so it's hard to say whether it's a good deal for Ford or not. They wouldn't be doing it if there wasn't some benefit to Ford.

AK-how about another "talking point for Hackett"--"Look at the bold move we just made"!

Other than saving on development costs, I don't see how that's a favorable agreement for Ford

Agree-if the "van" market is the key emphasis as I read it. Assuming Ford iIS the gorilla in that world, why would you let a weaker player in?

With the "cut cut cut, and cut some more to reach 8%" mentality, maybe saving on development costs is all they needed to see?

commendable if you weren't the leader in the segment. But agree-makes more good talking points for Hackett

If it didn't allow a competitor into one of the most profitable segments, and one Ford dominates in it might make sense.

amen

Last thought, who ISN"T VW in bed with-or so it seems to me they are involved in all sorts of JV's. At what point in time have you no secets-I'm thinking of VW's partners. And do we think VW has demonstrated a high level of ethics??? seems like the ,," all's fair in love and war" applies to them.

• Like 1

It may be as simple as added volume for Ford. Let's say VW basically gets Ford to manufacture their vans in Europe and NA and that doubles Ford's worldwide volume which increases productivity and plant utilization and generates considerable per unit revenue and profit. That's a win/win for Ford even if they get nothing else from VW. Like Ford did with Mazda on Ranger and Explorer.

Oh great, Im going to be building the Volkswagen Turok or whatever the hell its called ?

Before you will be allowed to build it, you have to learn how to pronounce the name. ;)

Lol. If it goes down how I think it would, I wouldnt buy one thats for damn sure. Ive heard horror stories about the bullshit that used to go on at Auto Alliance (now FRAP) when the Mazda 6 was still built there. People would literally cross their arms and let them go buy and not even touch them, and the union covered for it.

Lol. If it goes down how I think it would, I wouldnt buy one thats for damn sure. Ive heard horror stories about the bullshit that used to go on at Auto Alliance (now FRAP) when the Mazda 6 was still built there. People would literally cross their arms and let them go buy and not even touch them, and the union covered for it.

One reason for unions getting a bad name. That's grounds for termination in my book.

1998. :happy feet:

Well, he was probably only 6 then. :)

So do the p/u thing again. VW rebadges a Ranger as the next Amarok.

• Like 1

Interesting comments from a Motley Fool article;

Ford, of course, is a major player in commercial vehicles in the U.S. and Europe. Not only does it sell hundreds of thousands of F-Series pickups to commercial customers every year, its Transit line of commercial vans is a global best-seller. But (by truck standards, at least) those are mostly smaller vehicles; while Ford does have a heavy-truck business, it's fairly small -- and it doesn't make anything like a big tractor-trailer truck or a full-size bus.

VW, on the other hand, does make big trucks and buses. Its Scania and MAN subsidiaries, which build heavy trucks, buses, and big engines, generated over 27 billion euros ($31 billion) in revenue last year. There's also a VW-brand commercial-vehicle business, which makes vans and a small pickup that compete with Ford's offerings, but its global sales trail Ford's in those segments.

Could Ford benefit by working with VW on heavier trucks? Could VW benefit by working with Ford on commercial vans? Could both benefit by pooling their technology and knowledge, perhaps in a joint effort to create self-driving commercial vehicles?

Those are probably among the questions that Ford and VW are asking each other right now.

Doesn't mention by the way the big trucks VW builds in SA. Also I have to wonder, with VW's significant stake in Navistar-which article also does not mention-, and given fact Navistar is building it's sales back up after its EGR fiasco, is it logical that VW would want to see a resurgence by Ford in heavy trucks?

Then again, perhaps their attitude is if they can get a piece of the action from two US players, is that better than from just one?

When did VW pick up Bentley? I thought they were a part of Aston Martin....

Was never Aston. Was Rolls. Rolls went to BMW, Bentley to VW. Thats why the Bentley Continental has/d the funky W8 engine. It also shared a platform with the Phaeton.