GM replaces 3 Cadillac sedans with 2, invests $175M in plant

blwnsmoke

Interesting isn't how Ford goes back and forth on definition, it is a car but

how much change is required to transform Focus into a crosover (utility)

Or is Ford not that interested in testing limits with the EPA, just call it a car?

I like it. :)

2018-04-10-14-33-ford_2018_focus_active_

Put it side by side with Escape and it should be fairly clear. Seat height and ground clearance.

Put it side by side with Escape and it should be fairly clear. Seat height and ground clearance.

Or do we compare it with crossovers like Subaru Crosstek?

For me, the ride height is a little low to be a true crossover....

Subaru-XV_0.png

Edited by jpd80

Or do we compare it with crossovers like Subaru Crosstek?

Subaru-XV_0.png

Hopefully consumers do, that and the C-HR are everywhere around college towns. Though they will just pull the plug on the whole vehicle being imported to the US if the Tariffs stick around.

Hopefully consumers do, that and the C-HR are everywhere around college towns. Though they will just pull the plug on the whole vehicle being imported to the US if the Tariffs stick around.

So they would completely give every car save the Mustang in North America then if they did? I find that hard to believe-I think they would figure out a way to import it some other way or flex it in with the Baby Bronco/Maverick/Escape Production in Mexico.

So they would completely give every car save the Mustang in North America then if they did? I find that hard to believe-I think they would figure out a way to import it some other way or flex it in with the Baby Bronco/Maverick/Escape Production in Mexico.

Yes they would in the short term, Mexico/Canada might have the same tariffs so the thought of building it there might be off the table as well and ramping up a facility here would be hundreds of millions of dollars for a product that has lower profit potential and limited sales. I think its all political posturing leading up to the mid-term elections to show a base they are doing something. They realize if they go though with these massive tariffs and get into a trade war they will send the US/world into a depression.

To me Crosstrek is a wagon/hatchback and Forester is a crossover. But that line is really really blurry.

Indeed, we're looking at niches in the crossover to near car segments, those white space vehicles

could well be barely changed cars, a little less dramatic than say BMW X3 or X4 but enough to interest buyers.

To me, Focus Active is a bit like cars from 30 odd years ago when the ride height of most cars

was a bit higher, before companies started lowering regular cars for better handling road holding.

Edited by jpd80

I do think the Focus branding might be a limiting factor for Focus Active sales which is why I was hoping they would just name it something else for the US. Alternatively they might want to get those existing customers with the Focus name. If they want to compete with Subaru they can't call it Focus, that's a huge buzz kill IMO. The only reason to keep the Focus name on it is if you plan to sell other versions of the Focus, like the RS.

Edited by Assimilator

I do think the Focus branding might be a limiting factor for Focus Active sales which is why I was hoping they would just name it something else for the US. Alternatively they might want to get those existing customers with the Focus name. If they want to compete with Subaru they can't call it Focus, that's a huge buzz kill IMO. The only reason to keep the Focus name on it is if you plan to sell other versions of the Focus, like the RS.

It makes it easier if they decide to bring the rest of the Focus line back to NA which I think will happen once they get all these other things out the door in 3-4 years.

Indeed, we're looking at niches in the crossover to near car segments, those white space vehicles

could well be barely changed cars, a little less dramatic than say BMW X3 or X4 but enough to interest buyers.

To me, Focus Active is a bit like cars from 30 odd years ago when the ride height of most cars

was a bit higher, before companies started lowering regular cars for better handling road holding.

30?

chosen just-cuz I saw one recently:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pontiac_Firebird#Second_generation_(1970%E2%80%931981)

49.3" ht. 1970-1981