GM replaces 3 Cadillac sedans with 2, invests $175M in plant

blwnsmoke

https://www.yahoo.com/news/gm-replace-3-sedans-2-130837612.html

General Motors is getting rid of three Cadillac sedans and replacing them with two new ones over the next 3½ years.

The company says it's sinking $175 million into a Lansing, Michigan, factory to make replacements for the ATS compact, CTS midsize and XTS full-size cars.

Edited by blwnsmoke

I'm not so sure XTS will be gone... GM is not scheduled to phase out XTS until 2021 I believe so they've given themselves some insurance just in case the CT5 is a flop like the current CTS. Also is CT5 crash and burn out of the gate, GM can always abort the CT4 or only build it in China.

So if they stop producing the ATS, the Camaro will be on an orphaned platform. They really aren't selling many of them either. I can't wait to see how poorly they do when the next quarterly sales reports are out.

They're replacing 3 sedans with 2 new ones. Doesn't say they're killing the platform.

The ATS gets replaced by CT4 in MY 20' and ofcourse CT5 replace CTS next year, the XTS unfortunately lives till MY 21' I guess till the CT6 replaces it and Impala and Lacrosse (which XTS its built on) will die or get a rwd replacement, none of this wishful "Cadillac/Camaro will be discontinued" crap please.

I think CT5 is using an updated version of the same Alpha platform the Camaro uses. Unlike Borg, I would like Cadillac to keep one sedan, but I think the CT6 is enough. I don't think CT5 is needed, and I hope GM doesn't make the CT4.

I think CT5 is using an updated version of the same Alpha platform the Camaro uses. Unlike Borg, I would like Cadillac to keep one sedan, but I think the CT6 is enough. I don't think CT5 is needed, and I hope GM doesn't make the CT4.

I think Lincoln should get out of sedans, not Cadillac...although I think 3 sedans is too much. I mostly think Lincoln should get out of sedans because they've long lost those customers and it's futile to try and get new ones at this stage. I'm not saying they won't make more sedans but it's going to be significantly more expensive for them to pull it off without Ford's help. The failure of Continental pretty much confirmed for me that Lincoln can't crack that business and needs to focus on being a next-generation luxury carmaker with a focus in Utilities and EVs. I also think Lincoln's current product strategy is stagnating and they need give us an idea on how they want to grow the business. Hopefully we'll see better results with all the new utilities.

Edited by Assimilator

At this point, I doubt that any car produced by either Cadillac or Lincoln would sell at any decent numbers in North America

regardless of whether it's a tip top RWD premium chassis or a heavily upgraded FWD/AWD vehicle. Buyers across the

premium sedan segments are moving to crossovers and Utilities.

Cadillac has shown that it can sell XT5 at +6,000 sales a month, Lincoln should be so lucky...

I think Lincoln should get out of sedans, not Cadillac...although I think 3 sedans is too much. I mostly think Lincoln should get out of sedans because they've long lost those customers and it's futile to try and get new ones at this stage. I'm not saying they won't make more sedans but it's going to be significantly more expensive for them to pull it off without Ford's help. The failure of Continental pretty much confirmed for me that Lincoln can't crack that business and needs to focus on being a next-generation luxury carmaker with a focus in Utilities and EVs. I also think Lincoln's current product strategy is stagnating and they need give us an idea on how they want to grow the business. Hopefully we'll see better results with all the new utilities.

Lincoln should reduce cars-in-general but absolutely not get out, especially if the cars still making a profit. IIRC other then new rwd Continental isn't Lincoln getting a "Lincstang" coupe and a MKZ replacement?.

IMO Why even bother to build a smaller sedan like the ATS (at least in the US)-if anything they should have a mid-sized sedan (CTS) and a larger sedan (XTS) to cover the sedan market since it can be pretty much pulled off with the same platform.

Leave the entry level luxury product as a C or Sub C compact CUV.

IMO Why even bother to build a smaller sedan like the ATS (at least in the US)-if anything they should have a mid-sized sedan (CTS) and a larger sedan (XTS) to cover the sedan market since it can be pretty much pulled off with the same platform.

International markets, the ATS outside the U.S. is Caddies bestseller and Caddies 2nd bestselling car even eclipses XTS in some months.

Lincoln should reduce cars-in-general but absolutely not get out, especially if the cars still making a profit. IIRC other then new rwd Continental isn't Lincoln getting a "Lincstang" coupe and a MKZ replacement?.

Lincoln's sedan business is losing money, those investments are not working out for them so I"m not sure if they are going to invest forward in those segments or not. I know the 4 new nameplates from now through 2022 are classified as "Utilities".

Edited by Assimilator

Lincoln's sedan business is losing money, those investments are not working out for them so I"m not sure if they are going to invest forward in those segments or not. I know the 4 new nameplates from now through 2022 are classified as "Utilities".

They could be using the term "utility" loosely, though.

This is the definition of "loosely" in BMW speak...they call it a "Sports Activity Coupe"......coupe?? SUV???

That's my point. They're also considering Focus Active a utility as well. So just because they term it a "utility" now doesn't necessarily mean another (traditional) crossover variant.

That's my point. They're also considering Focus Active a utility as well. So just because they term it a "utility" now doesn't necessarily mean another (traditional) crossover variant.

Actually they called the Focus Active one of the two "cars" that they were keeping. Not a utility.

• Like 2

Actually they called the Focus Active one of the two "cars" that they were keeping. Not a utility.

Interesting isn't how Ford goes back and forth on definition, it is a car but

how much change is required to transform Focus into a crosover (utility)

Or is Ford not that interested in testing limits with the EPA, just call it a car?

I like it. :)

2018-04-10-14-33-ford_2018_focus_active_

Edited by jpd80